1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Joystick Builder updated with TONS of info.

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Acheron

Acheron Well-Known Member

Re: A few joystick construction questions.

Token: I realized that pushbuttons aren't offered in black on Sanwa's site. I still want a black stick, but I guess it doesn't matter as I've found out they ignore orders as small as the one I attempted to make.

But, weirdly they have black as an option at ArcadeRick, but with the slipshod way they do business I'd bet that they're just wrong. Of course, they aren't replying to any e-mails.

Catch22: I saved local copies of all your pages but the Gallery. Would these be helpful at all for you to put up on your site until you get your computer back?

2. Realyst

Realyst Member

Info Needed

This sucks. I need to make a stick and I have no reliable information to use. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Realyst

Realyst Member

Re: Info Needed

Does anyone at least know the dimensions of Catch22's sticks? At least then I can go to HD and get them to make the wood for me.

4. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

They vary. I think mine is something along the lines of 9"X12"X3.5". I've seen others which were perhaps taller & more square. The only dimension which really means anything for you though is depth since you need stick clearance. After that & fitting the stick/buttons to your spec on top, how much more or less space you need for the top is really up to you.

5. Seneca_22

Seneca_22 Member

Here's a stick my friend made for himself. It's his custom SC2 stick but he used all Sanwa parts, cept maybe the Happ start and select buttons on the side. This is his first custom case which is a lot smaller and more portable than the red octane cases he was using.

http://www.byrdo.org/images/Arcade%20Stiks/Yellow%20Jstik%20Finished2.jpg

http://www.byrdo.org/images/Arcade%20Stiks/Yellow%20Jstik%20Finished1.jpg

Here's the beast he did for me. I know, the case is freaking huge, but it doesn't bother me. Still, if I could get it in the small case he has, I would. Oh yeah, all Sanwa parts once again.

http://www.icestormcity.com/paradox/Genjiro1small.jpg

http://www.icestormcity.com/paradox/genjiro3small.jpg

http://www.icestormcity.com/paradox/genjiro2small.jpg

I don't think he's doing anymore this bulky, mostly the smaller ones now. Here's how they compare to the huge Red Octane cases. Obviously it's before he put the side art on.

http://www.byrdo.org/images/Arcade%20Stiks/Jstiks%20side%20by%20side.jpg

http://www.byrdo.org/images/Arcade%20Stiks/Side%20by%20side%20Jstik%202.jpg

6. Lingoon

Lingoon Well-Known Member

Re: Happ shipping

How much would I have to pay for Happ parts shipped to Finland (about)? Let's say, one Competition stick and ten buttons. I just wanna know the shipping and handling costs, I already know how much the parts cost themselves.

I'd also like to know the best place to buy Sanwa parts. I've got one japanese style stick already and I'd like to test the Happ parts, but if Sanwa seems a lot cheaper then I guess I should go for those instead.

Catch22, when is your site gonna be up again?

7. Lingoon

Re: Happ shipping

Never mind about the shipping costs, eBay is obviously a much better (and cheaper) option...

...but it would still be awesome if Catch22 got his site back up. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Lingoon

Happ(y)

Just wanted to say that I built my stick a few days ago, and it's even better than I expected. Thanks for everyone who has posted in these custom stick threads, they're the reason I wanted to build one myself. I'll post some pics...if I have the time to borrow my friends camera and upload the photos. (I'd really like to since my box isn't the usual plexi/lexan type of thing we've all used to seeing here.)

- illu

9. tuelpo

tuelpo New Member

Just finished

No pics yet but just finished putting in the happ competition joystick/buttons, in a Pelican RAP box I snagged off a buddy.

Works like a charm, never could get my big gaijin
    hands around those J-style sticks.

-tuelpo

10. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Re: Just finished

[ QUOTE ]
    fibbers said:

Pelican RAP

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one scary/sloppy sounding word. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. hootyhoo79

hootyhoo79 Member

Does anybody have a button template for a 6 button japanese jamma layout as seen here:

[​IMG]

If anyone can be of any assistance I'd be grateful!

12. Byne_Rhode

Byne_Rhode Active Member

Catch...I'm fairly sure you're tired of ppl asking but....please bring your site back...I'm ready to make the joystick building commitment....jyour site is awesome!!!!

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I don't know if you are still in need of any information but I put together two images that might help those looking to build a stick. Included is a jpg of a 6 button layout.

VFCA stick media

GE
    <font color="green">that's right, kids! Build your very own stick from two images and a world without fear! </font>

14. mall

mall Active Member

To anybody thats interested i have mirrored Catch22's page here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/mally-g/temp/index.html

should be noted that i did this without contacting Catch22 first.
    so if Catch22 does have a problem with it being up, please let me know and ill take it down right away

hopefully it works... i dont have the first clue when it comes to this stuff..
    so if it doesnt work then please tell me how i can fix it.
    thanks

15. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD

I just looked at Catch's site or rather its mirror (thank you, Mall). Catch listed two links at the end, one to Sanwa and one to Happ Controls. I know Sanwa is a good part, as it is mentioned here often. My question is, "Are Sanwa's parts truly any better than Happ's parts?" Is there some qualitative advantage to Sanwa's parts or are they simply preferred because they are used in Japan?

16. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Joystick Building

There is another question. Either Catch is not explaining, or I am not understanding how he converts the PCB board from a 15-pin connector output into the PS2 Version output, which I believe has 9 pins. He looks to have used some type of cable that has a 15-pin connector on one end and a PS2 connector on the other end. Does anyone know what that is, where you get it, or if it is something that I would have to make?

He has a page on terminals but I don't really understand exactly how he wires the terminal into a PS2 connector.

17. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

With regards to Happ parts and Sanwa parts. Happ sells North American style stick parts - typically, the competition stick and the ultimate stick you will find in many arcades. They're big, bulky, and are quite good to be honest; especially if that style of stick is what you've grown up on. North American sticks are typically bat-shaped and have round internals, meaning you can't feel the diagonal corners. As a result, they are excellent for the 'fireball' motion, etc.

Now, Sanwa sticks are very different. The tops are the traditional japanese style ball-top and the internals are square-ish, in that you can feel the corners. Furthermore, the japanese style sticks are designed to be much more shallow that what you'd find in north american cabinets. When building your own stick, keep this in mind as a Happ stick will need a lot more room and hence a bigger box.

From a playing perspective, the biggest difference between japanese and north american style sticks is the neutral. Japanese sticks have less space for the neutral and are in a sense more sensitive. One typically needs to move the stick a fraction further to hit a direction on a north american stick as a the neutral space is slightly larger. In a game where frames matter and where delicate movements are key, most people will find that the japanese sticks are better.

I've been through my fair share of north american sticks - many of which came from Happ. However, I now find that the japanese sanwa sticks are better - it just took me some time to concede (;)) and see the light. If I had to recommend a stick to you, I'd say get the sanwas - they're worth it in the long run.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

18. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Re: Llanfair Response

Thank you for responding.

I am just beginning on my first stick. I have only had it for about two weeks. It is the Tekken 5 stick, which I believe just has standard Hori parts. I am finding that I like the square corners, and that the buttons are too sensitive.

I keep missing moves because I input my stick commands late; instead of inputting [3][K], I input [K][3] and thus get an entirely different effect from what I intended. Until now I had though of this as the buttons being too sensitive. Now listening to you, I see that it may be that the stick is not sensitive enough. What do you think?

19. Wifebter

Wifebter Member

The Tekken Stick isn't as good as the Sanwa, trust me I have Two Sanwa's and the T5 stick. I'm gonna mod the stick when I have the time, and I suggest you do the same.Don't forget to swap the buttons out too.

20. nou

nou Well-Known Member

I too have the T5 stick and have seen it modded with Sanwa. It seems if you are new to modding (ala me) it's pretty tough and risky.

I wanna mod my SFAC stick from Nuby (yeah, yeah) with Sanwa. I hear it more diffuclt seeing as how the american parts and japanese parts are different. Anyone have suggestion for this?

I was thinking about making a thread to see if anyone from Tucson or Arizona is good at modifyin sticks.