1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Just started Jeffrey. Help please.

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by FatalRose, Apr 17, 2004.

1. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

Ok I finally realized there is more to life than Jacky so I decided to give another character a try well I have decided to start to use Jeff. So far so good, only a few problems I am having. For the most part his moves are easy to learn and remember but it's hard to keep up the pace with faster opponents. They always seem to beat me to the punch; it's hard to keep up with them. By the time I start dishing out damage time always seems to run out and they win by more health left, which happens sometimes. Basically I need help learning how to use the right moves at the right time against fast fighters. At times I also get predictable due to Jeff's limited repertoire.
    Here are the characters giving me the most trouble
    Jacky: He attacks so fast and at so many different hit levels it gets real hard to defend against him. He beats me to the punch (or kick) all the time.
    Sarah: She just confuses the hell out of me. Her flamingo stance totally screws me over. I just have a hard time defending and getting attack in when she gets in that stance.
    Aoi: Always fakes me out when she hits [G] during her spin moves.
    So what can I do against these characters with Jeff? They are giving me the most trouble by far.

2. catharsis

catharsis Well-Known Member

It sounds from your description that you're fairly new to the game; Jacky's hit levels, Aoi's cancels and especially Sarah's infuriatingly good flamingo stance all take some time to get used to..

Using Jeff against quick opponents is not as tough as you might think. Your best friends in VF tend to be humble attacks like jabs, low punches and elbows.. And although Jeff's punches tend to be slower than the competition's, they also give a far greater reward: A jab which counters your opponent's attack gives you enough of an advantage (IIRC) to get a guaranteed throw opportunity. Jab-throw lots, lp-throw lots, make good use of [6][6][P] or [6][6][P],[P], mix in the occasional [4][K] or [P]+[K],[P] and you should be fine.. but that said, I find that Jeff's at his best not as a striker, but as a more defense oriented character - he can dish out incredible amounts of damage in response to opponent mistakes. Learn which of your opponents' attacks are throw counterable, and mix throws with your big-ass knee.

When in doubt, watch some of the Jeffry replays saved on the EVO disk: they'll give you some idea of what he can do.

3. FatalRose

/versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks. I am so used to using fast characters, because of that it makes Jeff more of a challenge to use effectively for me.

4. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Learn to setup low throws. Against good opponents though, predict when they are crouch dashing and low throw. Also, don't rely much on Splash Mountain use the [2]+[P]+[G] and even[4]+[P]+[G] (even if it can be reduced to zero, it's a good setup for guessing games).

5. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    For fun and against nOObs, try hitting [2][P][K] as wall stagger and immediatedly do[1]+[P][K] and low throw [2][6][G][P][K] to rip your opponent apart. Jeff may be a bit pain to effectively use against masters, but he still has outstanding damage potential to punish mistakes... /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. GKaizerZero

GKaizerZero Well-Known Member

i can't agree more. if you wanna force an opponent into the right position for a low throw i suggest using, [6][P]+[K]. then follow up with his machine gun knee: [2][6][P]+[K]+[G]. its a sweet combo; i can't recall exactly how much dmg but its at least 80. also get into the habit of using the threat stance versus predictably aggresive opponents. the kick from TS is a good poke and will make low tier players think twice before aimlessly rushing you. as is the [P]+[K] from TS. just don't rely on them too much as they're rather slow. as for his throws in general, your best bets are his machine gun head butt: [4][6][P]+[G](has variable finishing inputs so i wont list them all, but i suggest all three headbutts), his basic throw: [P]+[G], and if you can pull it off consistently his backbreaker: [4][6][6][P]+[G]. a few more key Jeff tactics: his [3][3][P] uppercut is a good combo starter, even against heavyweights. try this one against lightweights: [3][3][P], [3][3][P], [4][3][P]+[K]. as you will see, you can tailor it pretty well for any weight class. if you're not too comfortable with low throws yet, try using his [4][K][P]. it's quick (relatively) and adds greatly to your low game; you'll like the results. and finally, when it comes to Jeff's ground game, don't bother too much with the body splash or the raiden drop (unless you're fighting a noob or scrub.) instead rely on stomping and devil reverse claws. the stomp is quick. not super quick but quick enuff to follow up most beatdowns and the [P]+[G]. as for the DRC you can really use it to control your opponent; grab the bull by horns so to speak. when i'm in the zone with Jeff, i try to keep on the ground as much as possible and then snatch em right back up with the DRC and follow up with a [6][6][K], or just about anything if i threw 'em into a wall. which brings me to one more thing: als try to use Jeff's [1][P]+[G] to control foes as well. especially if your back is to the wall or near ringside( but not too close!). trust me, it sets 'em up quite nice. well, that's all i guess. i hope you found this little mini FAQ helpful. if you didn't understand anything, tell me and i'll be happy to clear it up.

7. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Agreed. The [1]+[P]+[K] is slow and short ranged, nut also uncounterable and forces opponent to crouch on any hit, which means that low throw attempt is guaranteed. It is unusual move and opponents may confuse it with [2]+[P]+[K], which CAN be evaded by simple [8] tap. Damage is insane for MC.

8. pkg_inc

pkg_inc Well-Known Member

is the [K][K] ~ [2][3][6][P]+[G] any good?

9. GKaizerZero

the [K][K], [2][3][6][P]+[G] will work on only the most brainless opponents and has three major flaws that keep me from using it as anything but a novelty:
    1) it's just too damn slow. most opponents will either counter the first kick with a faster move, evade it, or duck under it and retatliate.
    2) even if you hit with the first kick it causes a float and renders the Splash Mt. moot.
    3) the timing is odd. if you do the [2][3][6] too quickly after the second [K], it'll fail to execute. same goes for if it's too slow. it's just not reliable.
    honestly your best bet is to skip the first kick altogether. you're better off just doing [2][K], [2][3][6][P]+[G]. it's quicker, can't be ducked and if you connect with it, doesn't render the Splash Mt. null and void. if you want a better alternative to this move altogether, try [6][6][P]+[K], [P]+[G]. it's way faster, flashier and easier to set up. only drawback is the fact that it's a pretty high attack, that's easy to duck.

10. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

TKoD is guaranteed on MC with the right timing. His K is half circular with decent range, and only 1 frame slower than f,f+P+K. If it hits you get a nice KKP combo, so it's not a big deal that you couldn't get d,d/f,f+P+G in.

Just wait for the MC on the toe kick and then follow up with d,d/f,f+P+G, for which you have to wait around 30 frames after the toe kick to execute.

Any move that is safe and gives you 50% damage is worth trying...

11. GKaizerZero

i know all about the [K][K][P] but that's not what he was asking about (if i'm coming off as rude, i'm really not trying to in the least, fyi) so i didn't really address it; but now that i think about it, i should've... hmmm, i feel embarrassed. i just wanted to give him the pros and cons (mostly cons) of it. imo, it's just too flawed as i said earlier. but aside from all that, did you hear about the new air throw he's getting in VFFT? looks like his [3][3][P] and his [4][6][6][P]+[K] have a new best friend. also, he's getting a ton of new throws from what i hear.

12. DarkSparda

DarkSparda Well-Known Member

Thats the best FT news yet. All his new stuff will makew him a lot stronger. maybe now less people will think of him as a weak ass joke. A throw that activates on floating opponents, hehehe, now thats pure evil.

13. GKaizerZero

wait a minute... people thoght he was weak?!? since when??? and why? and yes that will be sweet. also he seems to have some kinda offensive variant of the DRC where he just picks you up and slams you back down instead of throwing you into walls and such. i wonder what kind of follow ups that'll have? what'll be the disadv? will it be escapable? and he also has a hit throw that activates after a mc, i believe, with [4][K]. this is gonna be a banner year for us Jeff fans. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. FatalRose

Thanks for the advice guys. Can't wait to see how he plays out in VF4 FT.

15. Ecchi

Ecchi Well-Known Member

I've found Jeffry to be a favorite character, even moreso than Wolf. I played Jeffry a lot in VF 1-3, but I never got any competition, so I never got good at any of the games... I just fumbled my way through them.

I picked up Wolf right away in VF4, so I actually think that has contributed to why I find Jeffry so good in this game now. He doesn't have the reversals of other characters, but I find that opponents are either afraid of Jeffry's strength and throw potential, or they underestimate him. Both have been powerful tools for me.

That having been said, to add something to this, I've also been using [4][3][P][P] on occasion. I can combo off the second hit, and I often throw out the first hit, since they have a throw opp after the second hit, and then do a throw like Splash Mountain right after it.

Anybody got any real use for the Triple Body Blow? I've been able to get a throw out after the second or third blow most of the time, but it seems like they should be able to evade after the first hit, or after the second hit. Is that true, or is the Triple BB really a true combo?

Anyway, I pull the throw out after the second hit to throw off their escape timing, but it's very satisfying getting that third one in there. The first hit is kinda hard to land, though.

16. catharsis

catharsis Well-Known Member

I don't use it much, but the best thing about the triple body blow is that the first two punches sober Shun up. If I use it, it's generally interrupted after one punch or two (a hit or MC gives you pretty solid advantage), and then I'm in position for a knee or dashing elbow vs. throw guessing game. The final punch of the three is just too easy to reverse or step.