1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Last Bronx- community and frame data?

Discussion in 'General' started by DS91, Apr 4, 2015.

1. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Hi all,

I managed to get Last Bronx PC version for £2 on eBay, and get it running on my trusty old laptop :)

Anyone know where to find proper frame data, strategy guides and most of all any sort of community for the game?

I've always wanted to get into it since I played it on arcade in Trocadero. Closest I came at the time was buying myself a real life pair of twin tonfas :D

2. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
  3. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    doesn't the JP saturn release have frame data on disc 2? it at least has strats and combos. really cool game!

4. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    So, looking into this a bit further...

There are 6 strategy guide books for Last Bronx, all in Japanese. (see Wikipedia) Some are available on Ebay, but the ones I've seen don't have frame data tables. I'm not really sure frame data was widely available in 96/97...

Can anyone confirm if the Saturn version does have frame data as mentioned above? Does the training mode show High/Mid/Low for hits?

The FAQs on GameFAQs (which were written nearly 20 years ago!!) are OK, and this one has some interesting hints of frame data:

"It is possible to
    cancel the end motions of rolling with G-cancelling. Nagi is special, because she can cancel the end motions 5 frames faster than other character."

Not sure how the writer knew this at the time...

5. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I had the game on saturn when i was young and remember it vaguely. I really really doubt there was a training mode in it

6. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Haha, @cmase1989 was talking to me about getting this game running in Toronto not long ago!

Stranger things have happened, the biggest hurdle is getting this game to meetups as it's only Saturn/PC. I guess it's not hard to run on PC at this point, but still. Could use a Sega Vintage re-release a-la Fighting Vipers and VF2 ideally.

7. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    As ever, Hardcore Gaming has the answers!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lastbronx/lastbronx.htm

Saturn had an advanced training disc on the Japanese release, and the PC version (which will run on literally anything if it runs on my ancient laptop!) is the best and closest conversion. NB the game was also released for PS2 on Sega Ages but the conversion is inferior.

A Sega Vintage re-release with frame data would be absolute luxury. Does the re-release of FV contain frame data in training???

Short of that though, I was thinking some bright spark might be able to dump the frame data from the roms of a PCB.

Has anyone ever tried/succeeded in doing that for VF?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    BLACKSTAR likes this.
  8. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    One of the kindly souls on the Shmups forum pointed me to this page:

http://www.suruga-ya.jp/search?category=7&search_word=ラストブロンクス

and has agreed to help me get hold of some of the strategy guides. I'm pretty sure they won't have full frame data, but there are bound to be some useful tips in there. If only I could read Japanese...

Might try and get them bounced down to PDF once I have them, to help spread the knowledge around.

oneida, BLACKSTAR and MadeManG74 like this.
  9. FlawedFists

FlawedFists Active Member

PSN:
    FlawedFist
    Its Funny I actually bought a copy as well can't get it to run though if you don't mind me asking DS91 how were you able to get it running? any help would be deeply appreciated thank you

10. CRASHEM8000

CRASHEM8000 Well-Known Member

Actually, on Saturn, it had a real basic training mode (dummy, free to move around, nothing special), but then it had a juggle combo trial mode with somewhere around 10+ juggles per character, if I'm remembering this the right way.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  11. FlawedFists

PSN:
    FlawedFist
    well I finally got the PC version to work, sadly there isn't a training mode but there is a juggle trial mode, 15 combos per character listed as training mode. I guess the basic training mode was something exclusive to the Saturn.

12. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Hey FlawedFists- glad you got the game up and running. Did you use Compatibility Mode?

Also just checking you know about turning the frame rate to 60FPS?

As far as the Saturn version is concerned, see my link to Hardcore Gaming above. The Japanese Saturn release featured a second disc with a full-featured training mode, but this was not included on any other release. So you need an Action Replay cart and a copy of the Japanese Saturn game to get that mode...

From the juggle training that IS included in the PC version, it's possible to conclude that the game has weight classes, as not all combos work on all opponents...

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

I still have my 2 disc japanese version, should be fun to cast this.

So you guys are saying the PC version was actually closer than the sega ages release?! wow im impressed.

14. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Thanks Sudden Death- can you confirm what is on the training disc?

Is there any frame data included?!

15. FlawedFists

PSN:
    FlawedFist
    I'd definetly would be interested in knowing if the japanese release had frame data
    Also Ds91 not sure I know about changing the game to 60 fps I did change the frame skipping to no skipping at all game played way to fast other wise also to those who have played last bronx I'm curious as to who you all main,and this is probably a foolish question but do you think online would actually work? I would love to have someone to spar with also is there any way to get the game to work with a pad? Thanks again Ds91 for the help Sorry for all the questions and thank you to all who answer have an awesome day guys!

16. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Yep, you got it!

Same here

I'm almost certain online would not work, as it would need an intermediary server and that must have been switched off by Sega already. However I think the LAN setting would work for up to 10 people, if an event is ever organised!

Re the pad, I think it you got a generic PS3 pad it should work- the PC should just see it as a contoller. My Qanba joystick in PS3 mode is automatically picked up by the game.

PS if I ever do get the frame data, I wanna main Yoko!

17. FlawedFists

PSN:
    FlawedFist
    It's funny I wanted to main yoko to since I love tonfas also tommy seems interesting since I love the Bo staff to I do have a ps2 USB controller but the game seems to crash when ever I plug it in I guess Ill have to find a solution for that thanks for the response

18. Tumbling Dice

Tumbling Dice Well-Known Member

If I remember right, the PS2 Sega Ages 2500 release had polygonal backgrounds and was pretty close to the Model 2 original, and had a few extras like Big Head Mode. The PC version is probably nearly identical to the Saturn version (with lower polygon count and the panning 2D backgrounds ala VF2 Saturn) but might be able to run at a higher resolution. The PS2 version probably had slight issues like the PS2 VF2 did, which I have heard stemmed from issues with the color being too dull and from making the game run at 60fps as opposed to the arcade version's original 57.5 fps. I've got the Japanese Saturn release and can confirm the presence of the second disc's training mode. If I recall correctly, it's narrated by the characters themselves in Japanese. I absolutely adore this game, one of my all-time favorites. Fantastic soundtrack, too. I'd gladly pay for a re-release. Get M2 on the job, their 3DS emulation series is genuinely worth the price of a 3DS.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  19. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Flawed fists- sounds like its time to upgrade to a stick, dude! Even if you get one of the basic 'SE' edition Madcatz sticks for PS3, it will work and you will feel the difference. It's the arcade way!

Tumbling dice- or anyone with the Japanese Saturn version of Last Bronx- please could someone write a brief description of what the training covers and most importantly if ANY frame data is mentioned?!

Tumbling Dice likes this.
  20. DS91

DS91 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dat91Scrub
    Got some Japanese guide books in the post from the legendary Rancor in Japan, will get any info up asap...