1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lau's [flop] --> [P][P][P][K] combo.

Discussion in 'Lau' started by CreeD, Jun 11, 2003.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I noticed this combo coming up a few times in Hakkusion and Homestay lau's clips and decided to learn it for myself. It's pretty hard. This is what I know of how to do it.

The gist of the combo is you do a move that flops/slams the opponent, then combo with [P][P][P][K]. The second punch whiffs. The timing is hard. You can do either

1. [P] (small delay) [P][P][K] or
    2. [P][P] (small delay) [P][K].

If 1 isn't working for you, try 2, and vice versa.

To start the combos, you can use -

[4][6]+[P] - this seems like the hardest move to do the combo with, but it's also one of lau's most useful tools.
    FC, [4][6]+[P] - the timing feels a little less strict getting the combo with this attack.
    [8]+[P] - the straight up hopknife can be used with the same timing as the FC double palm listed above. A forward hopknife, [9]+[P], won't work.

Other tips:

[*]hold forward while doing the punches.
    [*]standing palm requires closed stance. The double palm and hopknife starters require open stance.
    [*]the timing differs slightly from character to character, based on weight. I think you need to delay a little more for lightweights. Also, doing the stpm combo seems very hard or impossible on aoi and pai. I've gotten it before on sarah. It's easier on the middle weights, especially shun. The combos can be done even on jeffry and wolf.
    [*]if you can't get it, just keep trying and remember your stance. You'll know it when you hit the sweet spot on the third punch, the opponent refloats a bit for the kick. Also remember to switch between delaying after the first punch and delaying after the second until you find one that works for you. Practice on shun or lau.

2. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    For someone who likes to drop Japanese players names at any opportunity, I'm surprised you didn't even acknowledge who the Lau player was in the movie you linked to.

This lau player just so happens to be Hakkushon Lau, one of the best Lau's in Japan that I've seen from the movies. He's been doing the PPPK bounce combo all throughout his kumite movies. He's scaringly consistent with it too.

4. J6Commander

J6Commander Well-Known Member

Just a short note that you can try that combo after FC, b, f+p on heavies w/o any delay (open stance).

5. Ragnafrak

Ragnafrak Well-Known Member

K, just been practicing this for the past day or so..

with (closed) b,f+P -> P,P,P,K
    going from jeffry down in weight, the combo gets easier. as the character its performed on gets lighter the delay gets longer (and easier to see visually). heavier characters need super-short delays (seems like 1-2 frame on jeffry)

with (open) FC,b,f+P -> P,P,P,K
    the delay on heavyweights (jeff/wolf) doesn't exist as Plasma posted.. so they are the easiest to do this on, but the delay for akira is about the same as the standing palm delay on heavyweights. Again the combo gets easier as the opponent gets lighter.

as creed said, the combo is ultra hard on aoi/pai, because the delay gets so long that the frame the third punch needs to hit on gets extremely close to the frame that the opponent can tech roll away on. the combo is almost impossible with b,f+P, and is very hard with FC,b,f+P. one thing I have noticed is that with the shortest delays, PP(delay)PK works better, and with longer delays P(delay)PPK works better.

of course u could also just delay between all 3 punches against lighter characters

6. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Re: Myke

There are alot of Lau players who are using this combo, but the majority still don't.

Punch the Sempu is also extremely good at getting this combo off with no frills, even though this combo is certainly not easy to get consistently.

7. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason

These are just the combos I was looking for. I was just about to ask what his best guaranteed damage off of the [2_][4][6]+[P] was, I trust this is it? Also, will this work off of the last hit of Tiger Stance [P][P][P]+[K], or TS [P]+[K]? Those produce flop stuns as well, right?

/versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

all of those flops can work with the [P][P][P][K] combo. BTW, [2_][4][6]+[P] is the same move as the TS [P][P][P]+[K]. There are two other combos that I know for the flop from [2_][4][6]+[P] and TS [P][P][P]+[K], they both work in either stance.
    [2_][3]+[P][P][4]+[P][P]
    [2_][3]+[P][P]+[K][2_][K]

I don't know if they do more damage than the [P][P][P][K] combo. The second combo can possibly be TR'ed as well.. (not sure though, it looks like it can be)

I hope these will help you.

also btw, I can do that [P][P][P][K] combo pretty consistently now yay!! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Ragnafrak

Ragnafrak Well-Known Member

remember also that hakkusion did [2_][4][6]+[P] -> [2_][3]+[P][3]+[P]+[K] -> [2_][K]

edit: just noticed srider posted this.. thought he meant the low kick