1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lau's Kick Guard Cancellable?

Discussion in 'Lau' started by SoundWave, May 14, 2003.

1. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

i just started playin with Lau after playing with Aoi so i was used to having some guard cancels. But it says Lau has none, but i noticed that when i press guard during his kick animation it guard cancels it? is it this way with every character?

2. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Lau does not have kick cancels now in Evo. In version C you could cancel his low kick.

3. SoundWave

i haven't played Evo yet so i'm talkin about ver. C, but i'm not talking about his low kick, just his regular kick it seems can be guard cancelled....

4. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Yeah...you could cancel Lau's regular standing kick in version c. You could also cancel Akira's low kick & Jacky's regular standing kick. These are gone in evo. The movelists are a reliable source for guard cancellation properties, as this by no means represents a complete listing of guard cancelling changes between ver c & evo...these are just the characters I use. Btw...the only attack Lau can really "cancel" in evo (though you don't use [G] to do so) is his charge move...press [4] on the stick to go to tiger stance.

5. Ragnafrak

Ragnafrak Well-Known Member

lau and akira could cancel both standing and low kicks in ver c

lau no longer has the standing kick cancel, and both low kick cancels were removed in evo

6. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Here goes...from the movelists...

Akira can [G] cancel in evo:
    [P][K]
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    (his low kick was changed from version c so that [2][K] gets you a standing "shin kick" & [1][K] or [2_][K] gets you a kick that looks like his old low kick, but it is no longer [G] cancellable.)

Kage can [G] cancel in evo:
    [P][K]
    [1][P][K]
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    [2][3][6][K]
    [6][6][K]
    and any roll into [K]+[G]
    (this last one is new to evo & was not in version c)

Lion can [G] cancel in evo:
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    (no changes in this department from version c)

Aoi can [G] cancel in evo:
    [P][P][P][2][K]
    [P][P][6][P]
    [P][P][6][P][P]
    [6][P][P]
    [6][6][P]
    [3][P]
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    [2][K]+[G]
    [6][P]+[K],[P]
    [4][4][P]+[K]
    (also unchanged from version c)

Jacky can [G] cancel in evo:
    slide shuffle [K]
    & his old [2][K][P] toekick cancel low backfist move has a second [P] now which will head crumble on counter...not really a [G] cancel, but what the hell.
    (Jacky's [6_][P][K] & [K] & [6_][K] [G] cancels from version c have been removed for evo)

Lau has no [G] cancels in evo, though you can press [4] while charging his [P]+[K] to enter tiger stance. Incidentally, the evo movelist here states that his [K] is [G] cancellable. As stated before, this is not the case.
    In version c you could cancel his [K] & his [2][K] with [G].

Vanessa in evo has:
    [4][4][K]+[G] which is a step away charge kick which she can cancel before the hit with [G], cancel when she steps away by holding [K], then [G] or she can move to OS by pressing [2] after [4][4][K]+[G]. As she didn't have OS in version c, she did not have this third option.

Jeffry can cancel in evo:
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    In version c you could cancel his [P][K], but now he has [P][K][P] & his [P][K] cancel was removed.

Sarah can [G] cancel in evo:
    [P][K]
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    [6][P]+[K],[P][K] [G] cancels into flamingo.
    Only this final wrinkle is new for her.

Wolf can [G] cancel in evo:
    [P][K]
    [K]
    [6_][K]
    & has his [4][6][P] which you can feint with [2]

Lei Fei & Shun (edit- And Pai) don't have [G] cancellable attacks.

Hopefully someone gives a rat's ass & I didn't screw this one up too much.

7. SoundWave

aha! i think i caught a mistake,sorta. Shun has one guard cancellable move but it doesn't just cancel the attack it puts him in oushin(sp.?) stance, the one where he's laying down. It's from his handstand stance, you do his [P]+[K] to do his rolling elbow then press guard and he'll lie down! it's the best thing ever and no one ever sees it coming, then you're free to do his nice combo from that stance.