1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei-Fei : The Skillz and Tezznikki for Effective Asskicking

Discussion in 'Lei' started by ShaolinTAO, Aug 14, 2003.

1. ShaolinTAO

ShaolinTAO Active Member

Hello, I consider myself an intermediate-yet-skilled-muthafukka, well-versed in the ways of Lei Fei (VF4 PS2 Non-EVO). Saying that, there are a few things I can pass on in terms of technique, as well as theory.

I consider this a sequel, instead of a follow-up to my previous post, How To Play Lei Fei - For You And Me, as the theory and combinations discussed herein will be somewhat more advanced.

Table Of Contents:
    (1) The FOUR and TWO STANCES
    (2) The OPPOSITE of the RIGHT MOVES
    (3) ADVANCED COMBiNATIONS

One: The 4 and 2 STANCES

Dokuritsu Shiki ([8][P]+[K]+[G]),
    Hai Shiki ([2][P]+[K]+[G])
    Nehan Shiki [1][P]+[K]+[G]) and
    Koko Shiki ([6][K]) - Lei's 4 Stances. Upon enough play, however, you will quickly see that Dokuritsu Shiki and Hai Shiki are complimentary, as are Nehan Shiki and Koko Shiki. One can flow back and forth from Dokuritsu to Nehan Shiki, as one can from Koko to Nehan and back again.

However, your opponent will learn your flows as quickly as you learn theirs - faster, if you happen to be slow. It is important, therefore, to be planning moves in advance, and NOT button-mash. [P]+[K], [P] from Nehan Shiki, for example, allows you to follow-up 5 times faster than [P]+[K],[P][P]. A *very* effective flow using this is:

[2][P]+[K]---(NEHAN SHIKI)---(opponent attacks)---[P]+[K],[P]----(NEUTRAL STANCE)---[2][P]+[K],[P]

Remember, it's often quicker to enter a stance through a move than it is to use the stance command itself, with the NOTABLE EXCEPTION:

Hai Shiki from Dokuritsu Shiki. The speed at which the game considers you to be in Hai Shiki is instantaneous - necessary for the Carrier combo - this allows you to fire off [P],[P]+[K], [P][P] or [2][K] from Hai Shiki, basically, before your opponent can logically expect you to.

I suggested in How To Play Lei Fei, briefly, how impressed I was with Lei's striking distance from Dokuritsu Shiki, and it must be reitterated here. To the point that I feel I should explain each move, so here I go:

[P] - this move is great for pushing the enemy back, but its distance becomes easily read. Often, it's best to let them come in a little too close to use it, let them get confident and use
    [K]+[G] - this snap kick will smack your enemy out of attacks SO many times - it's shameful.
    [K] - does leave your enemy with a little extra time to react, but 6 times out of 10 they'll throw a punch, and if you're man (or woman) enough to take the risk it's good for a reversal.
    [K][K] - hits mid, and is wonderful for smacking enemies out of moves - also usually good for a heavy down attack if it connects.
    [2][K]+[G] - belongs within the meat of your flows.

Two : The OPPOSITE of the RIGHT MOVES

This is a quick note of theory for you.
    All of us have TR combos - all of us can TR effectively. All of us, once we reach a certain level of play, come to expect reactions from our opponents that maintain that level.
    When you fail to meet that expectation, you leave your opponent at a disadvantage. Don't techroll when you should - attack when you should block - make wise choices.

(3) ADVANCED COMBiNATIONS

This is what it's all about, really. However, since new combos are pretty hard to come up with I will give you some that you'll get very rare chances to try. For effective and easily doable combos, please see How To Play Lei Fei - For You And Me.

(1) FLYING FEET (1/3rd of a step from a wall):
    [9][K]---(bounce high on wall)---[4][K],[K]---(DOKURITSU SHIKI)---[K],[K]---[3][K] (the little toe-kick - not the down attack)
    I worked on this combo forever - trying to find a way to have [4][K][K] and [K],[K] from Dokuritsu in the same combo. Well, here it is, and it works, but it entirely relies on the high wall bounce, and this, as we all know, is very difficult during a match. The Wallbanger is infinitely easier to pull off, but this one's impressive looking nonetheless.

(2) KEEP IT UP (see above)
    [9][K]---[4][K][K]---(DOKURUTSU SHIKI)---[G]---(NEUTRAL)---[3][3][P],[P]---[2][P]+[K]
    If you begin Flying Feet effectively, and get good at it, you'll find it's possible to switch to neutral and use [3][3][P],[P] instead of the scissor kick from Dokuritsu - this gives you a stronger final hit, as opposed to the pithy [3][K]. It is, however, really fuckin' hard.

(3) CRUMPLE OPPORTUNITY
    This is a combo I posted previously, but I want more people to use it so here we go:
    [2][P]+[K],[P]---(KOKO SHIKI - stomach crumple)---[K]---(NEHAN SHIKI)---[2][K]
    If you get a stomach crumple from the two punches entering into Koko Shiki, follow up quick with a pair of kicks before they hit the ground - you'll be glad ya did!

AIR COMBOS

I know that sounds redundant - "air combos" - ALL combos happen in the air - but what I mean is a combo that only becomes possible when you smack your enemy out of an airbourne attack. When this occurs, many rules for combos go out the window, and the stuff of legends is born. I've been working on my Nehan Shiki stance a lot lately, and so that's where my new combos have been coming out of. Saying that, here are two combos that I have been able to perfect - they are entirely possible, if you can seize the appropriate opportunity.

(4) NEHAN CARRIER
    (NEHAN SHIKI)---[P],[K]---(DOKURITSU SHIKI)---[K],[K]---(NEUTRAL)---[6][6][P]
    You have to hit them out of the air with the [P] from Nehan Shiki - you can only follow up so quick with the scissor kick, but your timing for the [6][6][P] has to be RIGHT ON, and as far as I've seen it's not dependant on foot position. This combo works regardless of weight - I discovered it while playing a Jeffrey.

(5) ADVANCED BOAT-FLOAT
    (NEHAN SHIKI)---[P]+[K],[P][P]---(NEUTRAL)---[3][3][P][P]---[2][P]+[K]---(NEHAN SHIKI)
    Again, the first attack has to be the one that contacts - you smack your enemy out of the air with the [P]+[K] - the following [P],[P] keeps them up there easily, and the [3][3][P][P] isn't a big stressor either, but you have to be fast on the [2][P]+[K], again. I've tried, but haven't found it possible to get the [2][P]+[K],[P] to work.

Um... yeah, that should do it.

2. KungPao

KungPao Active Member

hey tao i like the keep it up combo alot, you should get EVO As soon as possible, lei fei has alot of great additions,

heres a wall combo u might like i saw in a clip, F-F+P(must rebound to a dip inward) uF+K, B+P,P