1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lei Fei's Valid Shaolin stances and styles

Discussion in 'Lei' started by masterpo, Aug 6, 2008.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
  2. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    He uses Shaolin Kung Fu which has thousands of moves. I think it would be hard to say 100% what is and is not valid. It looks cool though heh.

3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Are you familiar with any of the basic Shaolin forms (e.g. Long Fist)?

Or any of the basic stances?

I don't run into too many people that study any of the old forms or stances, so many are into for good reason (Muai Thai) these days.

I'm curious if anyone recognizes any of Lei Fei's moves as reasonable approximations? I'll post a few illustrations when I get back to my scann
    er

4. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

The funny thing with Shaolin Kung-Fu is, some of the styles they do did not originated at the monastery, like some people believe. The monastery teaches a abundance of Chinese Martial Arts. But of course, they do have styles that ARE link to the monastery (Shaolin Five Animal, Eagle Claw, Monkey, Drunken Boxing, White Eyebrow, Bagua, Mantis..etc)Point being, Lei-Fei does Shaolin, because Shaolin Kung-Fu is more about a fighting system in place, is about incorporating buddah, and self-discipline to oneself. And thats what Lei-Fei repersents.
    With that out of the way, Lei-Fei's grapples are base on kung-fu films, like he's new low wall grab, were Lei-Fei performs a film version of"Shadowless Kick"(Stomps on your chest while in mid-air" In real life, the "Shadowless Kick" is not perform that way in Hung-ga style. Is perform by a distraction with the hands, and then two swift kicks(One two the knee, then one to the stomach)while your opponent was to busy following your hands, he never saw the kicks coming.

5. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    No I cant say that I know any Wushu. I just knew there were thousands of moves and figured it would be hard to point at one and say yeh it was accurate. Other then that I would agree it would be neat to find out which are or can be tied to real moves and compare them to real images.

6. BlackDragon37

BlackDragon37 Well-Known Member

All his stances are valid Shaolin stances. To a degree.

Crane and Dragon are there.

The nehan stances' lower body stems directly from relax stance (xie bu). The koko stances' lower body stem from cat stance (xu bu). I'm not sure of the upper body positions though. I'd have to ask my sifu that the next time I'm able to bring VF5 to his house.

7. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I used to take Shaolin 5 Animal style... Those are Snake, Crane, Tiger, Leopard and Dragon style.

Lei's moves definitely look like Kung-Fu moves but some of his moves I'm not familiar with. I think his move set is an approximation but it's not exact.

Akira is kinda a combination of several internal styles, not just Baji... Also Bagua and Rotating Plam... even some Tai Chi. I think , his explosive moves are meant to be based on chi strikes; meaning Akira has some internal energy.

I took Bajiquan from a Chinese immigrant named Yu Kai. He could put you right through the wall with his power. He used to walk 17 miles in a deep horse stance just to improve his center and energy. His arms were like lead pipes wrapped in cloth, just so hard and dense it was unbelievable...

The Baji elbow comes out and down so Akira's elbow looks somewhat legit.

8. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

He used to walk 17 miles in a deep horse stance...

C'mon.... [​IMG]

9. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    can someone post a picture of this deep horse stance please? basically i just wanna laugh... [​IMG]

10. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm not gonna show the pictures of what happened next.

11. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

U Cats are sick [​IMG]

12. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    BAHAHAHAH! THANX FOR THE LAUGH FRED! [​IMG]

actually there's a video floating around out there that depicts what you're talking about. its quite disturbing...the man died of major internal bleeding and the combustion of his small intestine. WTF!!!

13. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

small price to pay for horse love

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    It caught on fire? "Whoa" - Keanu Reeves

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Mother-fuckin' sanjuroAKIRA for the Mother-fuckin' WIN!

16. BlackDragon37

BlackDragon37 Well-Known Member

Ah, the legendary Mr. Hands.

The only reason he died is because he was too scared to go to the hospital and get treated.

And to give an example:

<object width="480" height="295"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YTL-w2-EZ7Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YTL-w2-EZ7Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="295"> </embed></object>

17. Sifu5

Sifu5 Member

Good morning/evening,
    A lot of Lei Fei's Stances and moves are Very Shaolin influenced.
    From his fight ready Stance (could be lower) to his counter attacks. His moves are very powerful and that right there is Shaolin, not modern day Wushu.

I study Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu, Under Sifu Karl Shnieder & Dasifu Shi De Shan (31st Generation Shaolin Monk).

Good Video with some Shaolin Monks, My Grandmaster Shi De Shan is also on this video (documentary):
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/69774/global-voices-shaolin-ulysses-kungfu-monks-in-america

18. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

This kung fu style is Tibetan in origin. The legend of its beginnings is with an old man who would contemplate daily near a pond. One day he was observing a beautiful white crane, when out of the forest came a gorilla. He feared that the ape would destroy the bird, but was amazed by the bird's elusiveness and ability to peck vital parts of the gorilla's anatomy. He thereafter meditated daily upon the bird's actions. One day, two armed robbers attacked him, and without thinking, he defeated them both. When he meditated on his actions, he realized that he had mimicked the movements of the crane. He then set about to study and preserve this knowledge, which today is called the White Crane system.

-----------

I like the story...

19. Dive2Blue

Dive2Blue Well-Known Member

According to this site, that we're familiar with, Bodhidharma, an Indian monk, not only taught Chan to the Shaolin monks, but taught them fighting techniques, that are the basis to the thousands of Chinese martial arts.[/size]

20. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

My problem with Lei Fei is only with Sega's story for him. Shao Lin monks do not work for the Emperor to eliminate dangerous martial arts. Shao Lin is the dangerous martial arts that Emperors seek to suppress/eliminate. Both in movies and in real history. Sega has it ass backwards.

Sure there are monks who fell from grace, but then they're no longer Shao Lin monks. Shao Lin is buddhism first, kung fu second. Kung fu, especially Shao Lin kung fu, is a way of existence. You can't be evil and still be a Shao Lin master who wears buddhist garb.

It's like saying "I'm going to make a game about the Lone Ranger, and he's still wear his famous white good guy clothes, but I'm going to make him EVIIIIL, durr hurr hurr I'm so innovative!"

I like Lei Fei's presence in the game, I just completely ignore his Sega story. Same with Lau, actually. If anyone should be evil it should be Lau, sporting the quintessential kung fu movie villain look.