1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion Basic/how to play Lion

Discussion in 'Lion' started by Faust, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Faust

Faust Member

I'm new here and my main is Lion. When I look over at the Lion guide area I notice that there was no "Basic" Lion trend to teach people the basics of Lion. I've looked at his stuff on wiki but that dosen't help me learn how to use him properly or how to use him in a certin match. So this is why I made this trend. sorroy if I did any thing wrong and I take full punishment for my misshaps if I did any thing wrong. Any way I just wanted to know what are the basics of Lion and how should i go about learning him.

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
  3. DrWoo

DrWoo Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Yquem2k1
    [1][K] -> [2][G] -> -30

I don't understand the mix up with [2][K][K], both attacks are low...

4. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Doesn't he have a mid from that?

No idea.

A good idea for learning Lion would be to not be overly fond of his low attacks as they will end up getting you killed.

5. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    ask boris of whales im sure he will show u some lion tricks. he was nice enough to show me alot of stuff.

for me, i tried to get into VF about 3 different times.. when i was young. I was overloaded with info and i didnt wanna read through so many wikis.. If somebody would have told me the basic fundamentals.. i would have got into this game alot earlier.
    Neways, Social ruin and Cozby really helped me get to stage 1.

go over.
    Fuzzy G,-1 to -5
    Crouch FUZZY G, -6
    ETEG -7 and up

(when u get better, ull mix it up)

what is advantage disadvantage?

once u know that, u can pretty much figure evrything else out. IMO this is the only info i needed to get "started" but not to improve.

6. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

He has [2] [K], [K] [+] [G]. The [K] [+] [G] is high,circular and wall splats.

Faust, send me a FR on XBL and we can have some games.

7. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    It's a high!?

I always stand to block it like a right fanny.

8. AnimalStaccato

Yep it doesn't combo, you can cover both options with [2] [G] but the wall splat is nice.

9. DrWoo

DrWoo Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Yquem2k1
    I didn't know about the wall splat, what you do next when you get one? [4][6] [K][+][G] for a bounce?

10. AnimalStaccato

You can do [4][6] [K][+][G] (guard cancel) [6_] [K] [K] but it doesn't do as much dmg as [P] [K] [P]>heavy pounce or [K] [K]>heavy pounce. I think the first option does 61, the second two do 67.

11. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [6] [P] [+] [G] [2] [P] [6] [P] [P]

How do you guys implement this combo above? Any tips to buffer [6] [P] without [4] [4]??

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hmm, I haven't tried this variation. Though the way I buffer that is f,f,G, f+P.

I think I normally go with D, f+P+G --> d+P --> b,f+P+K --> f+P,P.

Been so long I can't even remember and I just do these combos on muscle memory...

Hmm... actually I did the earlier popular combo finisher of f,f+P+K, P.

I know Ice-9 one time claimed (I think during VF4) that f+G could get you to stand up quickly, but it never worked for me. However, my dexterity is on the low end compared to a lot of players here.

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    From what I know, there's no other way to do elbow from crouch other than to buffer a back dash ([4][4]). Using a forward dash will cause the [6][6][P] to come out instead.

You can just buffer the back dash during the recovery of the low punch. There's no hurry either as you have plenty of time to do it in a controlled manner. So the complete combo input is just:

[​IMG][6][P][+][G] -> [2][P] -> [4][4][6][P][P]

@Chanchai:
    I don't think [6][6][G][6][P] technically works as a buffered input. I'm trying it in training mode right now and having no success. I think the [G], if buffered, will prevent that dash input occuring for that 1-frame that makes you stand up. But if you're able to do this input reliably then I'd love to see a quick vid of it with input display turned on to get an understanding of the timing.

Also, I'm pretty sure that a single [6][G] never, ever resulted in an instant stand from crouch in any game of VF. [​IMG]

14. Dennis0201

Thanks for the replies Chanchai and Myke.

I did try [G] manner before but it didn't work, and it seemed a little bit too slow.

This is one thing I dislike VF, because some characters(such as Lion, Wolf, Pai) have conflicts doing [3] [P] or [6] [P] and uppercut on crouching stance. [​IMG] Even though users can still buffer but it's too hard to check after 2p hits. [​IMG]

15. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

You are right, Myke ^_^ f,f,G didn't work. Must have mentally taken out my lazy (nerfed) version of the combo by using b,f+P+K after the low punch. At least that's what I think I did. Really need to play VF again soon ^_^

Random note: VF has done well without the E button in the VF4 and VF5 games... But I still miss it sometimes :p

16. AnimalStaccato

Dennis why are you doing [6] [P] [P] neway? I'm pretty sure 2p>b,f,p+k>f,f,p+kp does more damage and 2p,ppdp+k carries them further for a ringout. I can't think of a good reason why you'd use f,p,p unless you like the way it looks.

17. Dennis0201

yeh, I thought it's the way for a ringout but now I know the further one:) thanks for the information and I'll try myself.

18. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    It does in the Megadrive/Iphone version LOL...

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The merits of knowing how to perform an elbow from crouch with Lion may outweigh the usefulness of this particular combo, but it's a good question to ask nonetheless.

In my opinion, every Lion player should at least know how to perform their fastest mid attack from crouch.

@Jide: troll :p

20. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    a) There's always [6] [K]. It's 14f too so it qualifies as fastest mid attack from crouch. Sure it doesn't combo on CH but it does give a nice +7 frames. Plus it's knee class and mixing up attack classes doesn't hurt.

b) That said, Myke's method is necessary to correctly punish blocked lows that leave opponents at -14 to -18. The [6] [P] will stagger making the [6] [P] [P] guaranteed for a healthy 36 guaranteed damage.

c) That said, it's still possible to survive with Lion without doing [4] [4] [6] [P]. OK, a simple [6] [K] is the equivalent of letting Lion's opponent to get away with murder but at -15 he gets [8] [P] [+] [K] for a knockdown and at -17 [3] [K] for a stagger, it's not unbearable.

d) I'm taking the time to write this because the thread is called Lion Basic/how to play Lion. This way if any new players read this discussion they won't end up overly intimidated by having to learn and alternative (harder) input for an easy move.