1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Lion Meaties?

Discussion in 'Lion' started by cmase1989, Apr 21, 2015.

1. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

Still new to this character! Just wondering if anyone knows any meaty settups for lion? Thanks!

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I'm only an occasional Lionplayer but..

[4][6][K][+][G] is most of what you would want imo.. massive range, mid, launches on normal hit... It's what I use personally. Oh and it works after pretty much any combo knockdown.

or sometimes maybe [6][P][+][K] which nets sideturned on hit, and Lions sideturned game is really dangerous. You can often also mix with various lows.

3. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

46K+G is great and works on 90% of Lion's combos ending with 6PP
    46K is also very good and works on most combos ending with KK. It kindah loop in itself with combos like 46K,4P+K,P, KK --> meaty 46K

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I noticed the other day that you can meaty 41236P after combos ending in 6PP if you do about 2 frame dash before it (its 2 frames faster than 46K+G). Possibility of mixing HCF+P with the 46K+G, both as meaty, seems very strong :)

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Is there any reason why you'd so HCF+P over 43P there? 43P gives a combo, is slightly safer and is actually exactly the same speed as 46K+G.

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    It's probably why I have used 43P myself :D Im not sure right now whether it has enough range so that it hits without dashing to hit as a meaty (until now I have been pretty sloppy with my Lion), as there might not be enough time to work a dash in and still work as a meaty. I need to test.

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Thinking about it...If you managed to land a perfect Meatie with 43P, you could make it -13 on block, which is pretty safe against a good chunk of the cast... I haven't really been using it, but i might try to work it in. i really do underuse proper meaties with Lion. I just use 6P ;)

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Results of testing: After combos ending in 6PP, doing 43P as meaty IS possible. However, the timing is different whether opponent techs exactly or not. If opponent techs exactly, 43P must be inputted instantly and will automatically meaty. If they do normal tech, you need slight delay or 43P will whiff for hitting too early.

9. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    hello i don't understand HCF+P what is it?e
    I see in Youtube a combo with a bounce of 43p+k 4k p+k+g 2kk(oponent side roll exact i think) and combo. Somebody knows other use of Touru teihozen in meaty?

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    HCF = half circle forward, in other words: [4][1][2][3][6]

MarlyJay likes this.
  11. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    :ROTFL: thanks i will research

12. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    Hi
    recently i record a little video with some meaties for side roll exact. in a video during my research i see 2KK+G PKP P(G) 3K GRANTS +11 Side
    i'm testing but this are my results for now
    Side roll exact (Front)
    Eileen closed +13 Side; open +10
    El Blaze 13Side; 10
    Aoi 12S; 9
    Sarah 11S;8
    Shun 11S; 8
    Pai 11S; 9S filling the time with KG and following with 41236P
    Lion idem Pai
    Vanessa: 11S; 9S KG 6P
    Lau KG 41236P Ó PG 6P 10S; PG 6P 10S
    Kage DM 3K 11S; PG 6P 10S
    Lei DM 3K 10S; PG 6P 10S
    Brad DM 3K 11S; PG 6P 10S
    Goh: idem Brad
    Akira: OM 3K 11-13S ; PG 6P 9S
    Jacky: Idem Akira
    Jean DM (Back) 3K 11S to be continued
    Somebody knows the fillers o its time in frames like KG 11f ¿DM OM EDC?

jimi Claymore likes this.
  13. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    Hello and continue
    Jean open PG 6P grants 9 side.
    Jeffry KG 43P+K 9S; 3P+K+G P is the best i find in open.
    Wolf 3P+K+G P both stances. closed sometimes 833K obtain a good advantage and side turn the oponent. Open 6633P.
    Please somebody with good execution test it.
    Taka 3P+K+G P ; Open needs following 2KK+G with 66P+KP and 3P+K+G P will result in meatie

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    ENDING 2KK+G PKP
    Eileen open: [K][G] 336[P]+[K] o [K][G] 41236[P] .
    El Blaze and Aoi:1[P]+[K]+[G] 3[K] +11 SIDE ; [K][G] 336[P]+[K] near the wall.
    Sarah: 1[P]+[K]+[G] 6[P] +9 SIDE o [K][G] 336[P]+[K].
    Shun [K][G] 336[P]+[K] o OM [P]+[P] o 1[P]+[K]+[G] 6P.

WITH 66[K][P]+[K][P] 43[P]+[K] [P] 4[P]+[K] full charge is a meatie both stance since Eileen to Goh
    I'm investigate the use of 3[P]+[K]+[G] [P] and 66[P]+[K][P].
    Thanks for your support and help Jimi.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  15. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    Jason Elbow, jimi Claymore and Myke like this.
  16. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    @MakiLeSushi let's go on with our discussion about delays here, because i need delays in setups like this: Me Lion, Oponent Jean /\ side roll recovery exact back 66p 46p+k g p 43p+k 66kk 773p sometimes obtain +11 or +12. I thing its only my rhythm of inputs what is the correct method?

17. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I was talkin about delays in combo not about meaties after recovery. Idk lion enough to help u there. But did u check the foot stance when u obtain +11 and +12 perhaps it comes from here.

18. Toto

Toto Member Gold Supporter

Hi Ares,

I am logging in just to say thank you for these videos. My execution is not very good, so certain combos (such as vs. Shun: 336[P]+[G] -> 46[P]+[K] -> [G] -> [P] -> 43[P]+[K] -> 6[P] [P] ) are impossible for me. Some of the other combos are quite optimal, so thank you!

However a note about your meaties. I'm not sure if you intended the video to be practical for a real match, however I feel like some of the meaties are not very practical for a real match. 46[K] for example leaves you at a heavy nitaku disadvantage (-9 normal guard, not sure about meaty guard?). Same with [P]+[K] (-6 on guard).

Do you know anything about the frame advantage/disadvantage when one of these meaties is blocked?

The two meaties I've seen used in high level Japanese play are 46[K]+[G] (because it leaves you slightly positive when hit meaty) and 3[K] (active frames are large so easy to hit, side turn possibilities, can become less than -5 when hit properly meaty).

In my own play, I prefer to use the stance mixup from 6[P]+[K]+[G] on my opponents tech roll. But I am trying to introduce meaty attacks into my play to discourage opponents from evading on wake up and therefore being more vulnerable to guard breaks.

Again, I really appreciate the video. I just wanted to start a discussion.

Ares-olimpico and Kruza like this.
  19. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I also like using 3 k usually after a combo ending in pkp (like this combo: ch 2k k+G, pkp failed evade towards screen 3 k) when done properly as a meaty will grant side turned situation at +11 (somtimes +12). Which gives you a free side turned pkp.

Kruza and Ares-olimpico like this.
  20. Ares-olimpico

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    @Toto @Jason Elbow Thank you so much.
    Really i did the video for a friend.
    Meaties in ch 2kk+g pkp are shown above.
    my execution is bad too i dont use most of the combos,
    I have problems to connect 3k as meaty because is fast and need fill the time for example Oponent Jean /\ side roll recovery exact back 66p 46p+k g p 43p+k 66kk 773p sometimes obtain +11 or +12.
    in theory (i think ) with a combo stance and character if i can connect in meaty a move M1 with N1 frames execution i can connect M2 with N2 if N1 = N2 + Filler and M2 reach the opponent. the equal symbol is not strict because the number of active frames of both moves and maybe (i dont know) the duration of the "meaty window"
    my problem is how to fill the time i only know few basics FIllers like KG=11f
    Another cuestion p+k is very unsafe? and i dont know how to use in real matches maybe Jason can help us

Kruza likes this.