1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

lost

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by EagleClaw4, Mar 8, 2007.

1. EagleClaw4

EagleClaw4 Member

hello

I've been playing vf4 evo for a while now and have even looked at some of the docs on here concerning how to play it better but I'm just not getting it.

Like I understand what stuff like frame data is, its just I dont know how to apply this to what I'm supposed to be doing. So basically I dont know what certain moves I'm supposed to be doing with a character when I'm standing at a certain distance from the opponent.

Can you guys help out with this? Maybe give me some examples at what I'm supposed to be doing with a character such as Pai since I know her moves. Its really frustrating

thanks

2. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    What I did when I started playing VF4 was to print out Sarah's entire movelist, grab a notebook, and start drawing up "Flowcharts". If you've ever done those in school it's basically the same thing. For example, starting with standing P, I drew lines from P leading to (hit), (Counter), and (guard). If P hits, I am free to move on to such moves as Elbow (can't be hit out of it), throw (can't be ducked under), or Switch Kick (can't be hit out of). On Counter, throw is guaranteed. On guard, low P will beat their low P, or throw could be used if they don't fuzzy, but not guaranteed.

The flows ending in throw end the strings. Then from Switch Kick, for example, I drew lines from guard, hit, counter. On both guard and hit, the frame advantage is the same (+4), but since the Switch Kick puts you into Flamingo, the only "safe" option is the Kickflip. On Switch Kick counter hit or crouch stagger, PK is guaranteed, which then leads on to elbow/throw nitaku.

Doing this with all of your moves will give you a good start into what kinds of attack series you can put together. It's important though to not get too predictable.

3. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Sorry for the double post, I'm still at work so I have to be sneaky.

You have to consider your opponent. Versus Akira, I know that his fastest moves, P and low P, are both 12 frames. So in order to use a move that I like, I have to figure out ways to get their execution time down to 12 frames or less.

Taking P as an example. When I hit with P I get +5. The Switch Kick is 17 frames execution, so 17-5=12. That puts it at a functional execution that is the same as Akira's P. But the move that does more damage wins the trade, so the Switch Kick would beat Akira's P after I hit with a P of my own.

Pai, on the other hand, has an 11 frame standing P, so the Switch Kick would not be safe, since I would then have to get it down to 11 frames to beat her P. If I try to P, Switch Kick, Pai can hit me with P, and get a counterhit. Versus her, I better use Elbow instead of Switch Kick.

4. EagleClaw4

EagleClaw4 Member

Thanks PurpGuy

Sorry I'm responding so late

I think I figured out what your trying to tell me. Except one difficulty I'm having is this. Say that Pai's standing punch hits, I don't know what moves I should be doing after this because I don't know what effects they are going to have on my opponent (like how you were saying moves that cant be hit out of or throws that couldn't be ducked under). Unless of course if what you are asking me to do is experiment with striking attacks in different orders, yet this seems ridiculous since experimenting putting striking attacks into different orders seems like alot of testing with so many moves the characters possess.

Also what are you referring to when you have a number with a plus sign before it? (example: +3)

Sorry if what you were trying to convey to me I misunderstood but I reread it over and over again and I still feel somewhat confused.

Well thanks again

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    The plus and minus signs convey the advantage or disadvantage that a character has after attacks. When you compare this numeric info to speed of attacks that your opponent is able to do, and the speed of your own attacks, you can find out which ones of your own attacks are useful in a given situation.

For example, you are Pai. Your standing punch hits Akira. You are now at +5 advantage. Opponents fastest attack is punch (12 frames). This means any attack of yours that is 12+5=17 frames or faster will beat any of your opponents moves basically.

6. EagleClaw4

EagleClaw4 Member

thanks Manjimaru