1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Making Pai's mid kick effective

Discussion in 'Pai' started by archangel, Jul 5, 2004.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Re: Goh's MP sabaki

shag, aoi and wolf are perfect examples. atleast wolf is right up there i think even more than brad. brad has a stronger knee game to mix up when you are trying things like punch sabakis.

wolf's nitaku game is srew hook, his only elbow type attack is db+p and is 16 frames. trust me, you see unlimited opportunities to catch wolf. any smart wolf will go for their 14 frame launcher at nitaku.

and aoi is just elbow based. remember that this yeah is secondary to his p+K sabaki, but is still very good because it is a very powerful nitaku tool. even if you dont get your thow guaranteed on stance you have a straight +11 to play around with. and goh's hit throws are so damaging to mix it up with.

2. Raptor1017

Raptor1017 Well-Known Member

BK_, i wouldn't worry much about Pai's swallow kicks because from the sounds of it, FT swallow kicks won't be too great.

3. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I'd say the sabaki is a good tool against a Kage aswell dependent on the kages playstyle. This due to that you can take his rising upper with it besides his normal elbow.

/KiwE

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

Hey AA, take a guess on that Pai player I'm dealing with. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif Damn it Eric, I was hoping you wouldnt find this thread. heh heh

I'm not that concerned about Wolf because I'm more worried about his throw game and keeping him at bay . I usually would have advantage on Wolf . But you have a point with screw hook. Screw hook is great but if its blocked he aint safe. When I play Wolf, during nitaku I switch LPC, high elbow, screw, Roar and on very rare occasion, bb[P]+[G]

And Aoi has many options as well; YY, counter, standing [K] and dblplm(Ugh) along with elbow, [P][P][P] string and lp. Will goh's MP sabaki connect on Aoi's dblplm?

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not that concerned about Wolf because I'm more worried about his throw game and keeping him at bay . I usually would have advantage on Wolf . But you have a point with screw hook. Screw hook is great but if its blocked he aint safe. When I play Wolf, during nitaku I switch LPC, high elbow, screw, Roar and on very rare occasion, bb+

[/ QUOTE ]

when wolf is at atleast +2 advantage his only option to beat the opponent is screw hook, this can also mean when the opponent is block and they are at small dis too. that's when you are mostly supposed to use any kind of sabaki effectively. if you are worried about wolf's throw game, it wont affect you if he tries one as a nitaku choice because he will get smacked in the jaw giving you +2 to carry on your own choice game with elbow or throw. if he screw hooks,(which he should unless he wants the opponent to jab him to hell MC with any other attack) then your command will turn into a sabaki. quite simple..

when wolf has advantage, why would he use LPC, roar or any other defense measures? the opponent is now forced to defend or expect a throw. LPC is best at dis or things like db+k normal hit.

as for aoi, you could use the elbow sabaki, but yeah, i reckon that P+K sabaki is much better here because she goes for high and mid flow charts with P, no other reason other than that. btw, no disrespecting your goh game, i'm sure it's great.... the details do matter, or else you'll be kicking yourself wondering WHY!! WHY!! does pai's swallow kick beat every flow chart i EVER PERFORM!!!! (err... wait, that's just me, lol).

6. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

I should have been more clearer, I personally don't want to be in a position where I have to attempt a MP sabaki against Wolf. Sure, its going to happen sooner or later. In the example you give I see where it will be effective.

I also failed to point out that I, when playing Wolf, LPC high elbow etc. when I have slight disadvantage. Why would anyone roar out in the open, unless they felt real cocky. heh heh

7. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

when wolf has advantage, why would he use LPC, roar or any other defense measures? the opponent is now forced to defend or expect a throw. LPC is best at dis or things like db+k normal hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong, and you said so yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
    if he screw hooks,(which he should unless he wants the opponent to jab him to hell MC with any other attack)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they know this. Especially when you are playing against light weights. Screw hook has a bad effect of not beating for example... 2p...

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong, and you said so yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
    if he screw hooks,(which he should unless he wants the opponent to jab him to hell MC with any other attack)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they know this. Especially when you are playing against light weights. Screw hook has a bad effect of not beating for example... 2p...

[/ QUOTE ]

no.1 elaborate.. i dont see how this is wrong and i dont see how i said it is wrong,

no.2 i meant that if wolf does any other attack other than screw hook, he will get jabbed at +2.. against lightweights with 11 frame high P, what can you do? switch your methods of course, but goh is not a lightweight nor has 11 frame P. if wolf players have any sense, screw hook is their main tool for any advantage +2 up to +5.. (and even more if players dont want to risk switching to knee)

with goh's elbow sabaki, you can guess it, it is that black an white. you could say any character has mix-ups in nitaku, it's because no dumb ass will eat the same move over and over again. you attack what is their main.

then again, sabakis is all about guessing, at reverse nitaku, ofcourse there are lots of options to do. i think that shag is trying to pin down on what characters are more likely to be ideal for the move, i say wolf is a perfect example because of logic.