1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

"Masher to Master" - links, vids and tips

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Strider786, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Strider786

Strider786 Well-Known Member

This thread for posting links, videos and general tips to help EVERYONE get good, beginners to top players. For example links to info regarding, but not limited to: spacing/footsies, block punishment, whiff punishment, execution techniques, player mentality, how to improve...

As you can see, links and vids don't have to be specifically VF related, for example I remember a lot of forums for other games contain lots of information on how to get good at key aspects of fighting games such as spacing and movement in the Soul Calibur - http://8wayrun.com/forums/ and Tekken - http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/ forums.

Also post your own tips and notes on how to improve or about VF specific stuff, for example why Lion's [4][4][K] is very hard to use as a -15f punisher (the [4][4] must be done perfectly.)

If you're still confused as to what to post, share: forum posts from VFDC and other sites, guides, videos, interviews, tips, notes... Just see the stuff I post and follow my lead :)

Also please post embedded videos in a spoiler so it doesn't make the page take ages to load, like this:

Beginner links
    • The two threads stickied (pinned) to the top of the new starter board are a great place to start looking for learning the core fundamentals: CLICK1 and CLICK2
    • A great thread outlining the pros and cons of each character and their general playsyles. CLICK
    • The Individual character forums contain A post called "starting out with *_character_*" which are blog posts, translated by Modelah, from awesome Japanese players who specialize in that character. For example, this is the one for Jeffry: CLICK
    • The hotbar under the banner above contains links to several GREAT places:
    1. The "commands" link goes to a page containing the links to every characters entire move set, and contains the compete frame data for each move and their properties.
    2. The "wiki" Includes information on the notation we use (e.g 3K+G, 833 etc.), includes a wealth of knowledge concerning VF. it also contains a lot of character info though a lot of it is incomplete. A very useful resource.
    3. The "Combos" link.. pretty self explanatory ;)
    4. The "Glossary" is the place to go to find out about the various terms and names we throw around to describe different things

Links for Everyone, Including beginners
    • A Great guide to fighting games in general put together by a member of SRK, also the origin of the term "masher to master". CLICK
    • Of course, there's all the great threads here in the Dojo forum and throughout VFDC such as the dojo exercise thread and the defensive tech list. The def tech list contains many useful links to information also.
    • The youtube channels of BLACKSTAR and Chibiaya contains some great videos of VF tutorials and information.
    • Oneida's channel has LOTS of Japanese VF gameplay: CLICK
    Videos

Notes

02:56 - MarlyJay: same concept as using El Blazes shadow hammer to punish at -15. it's gotta be buffered perfectly, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid

03:05 - MarlyJay: if somone asked me what el blazes -15 punish was i wouldn't say 6PK because it's easy. it's shadow hammer. the fact that it's really hard to do (harder than 44K) doesn't change the fact

16:43 - Combolammas:
    You can't compare Blaze 2_6P+K with Lion 44K

16:44 - Combolammas:
    Blaze is way easier, you get to do the CD there, the CD frame always happens and always has to happen.

16:45 - Combolammas:
    Lion 44K as -15 punisher works differently.

16:55 - Combolammas:
    Just to go on a bit more about that. Any move that has [2] in it naturally happens 1 frame slower when done from standing as it takes 1f of CD to be considered crouching.

16:56 - Combolammas:
    Lion 44K or any move with a dash input needs to be done with no dashframe for a frame tight punish.

16:58 - Strider786:
    so jeffry's 2k is acutally 18f?

16:58 - Combolammas:
    Try punishing Taka 33P+K with Goh 2_3P+K. Works everytime? It should. The input is easier than Blaze 2_6P+K but the mechanics behind the test are the same.

16:58 - Strider786:
    rather than 17f?

16:59 - Combolammas:
    Now try punishing -15 with Lion 44K or -18 sweeps with Goh 33P and tell me that it's "as easy" and "the same thing". It's not.

And Jeff 2K is 17f. Where'd you get that from.

Oh, there...

[2_]

As in, from crouch.
    21:56 - Unicorn:
    2P is for "fast" abare, it is sutied for situations up to +3 or +4 maximally (usually) and it is there to limit my attacks options to fast attacks only. If youre on bigger disadvantage, abare only when you expect throw - and then abare with your best combo starter (should be 3K+G vs Wolf I think?)

21:58 - Unicorn:
    like if youre -5 and more and you abare with 2P, it is like saying "lag please kick in!" because I can beat it with knee for big damage. Ofc there are situations where it will still make sence, but those are quite rare overall.
    20:08 - Krye:
    how long have you been playing, strider?

20:09 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    take it slowly, have someone teach you the basics, which you seem to know superficially. But yeah, have someone who you think has good knowledge of the game help you out. Thats the best way

20:10 - Darksoul173:
    you wont to get better: dojo alot and play against ppl

20:10 - Darksoul173:
    not random scrubs but ppl from vfdc

20:10 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    like for me, after i got blown up on my second raw like 10-4 or whatever it was i had Blackstar help me learn the way to play

20:10 - Strider786:
    I starteed seriously back in mid july krye. I had dabbled in vf in 2013 and attended sega cup euro in london but i wasnt serious and didnt speak to anyone cus i was shy

20:11 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    yeah, unicorn is a good teacher. Have him teach you the game from the ground up

20:11 - Krye:
    oh that's awesome that you were there

20:11 - Strider786:
    thanks you darksouls and dhaval for your adivce

20:11 - Strider786:
    yeah krye, i was the miserable brown guy in a black shirt :p

20:11 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    like start from first day basics such as - p is universal advantage move and then you have instant Nitaku

20:12 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    and so on

20:12 - Strider786:
    aparently im always scowling

20:12 - Krye:
    I can't say that I remember you, so much stuff going on!

sorry!

but listen, I started playing back in 2007

20:12 - Strider786:
    ikr! it was pretty busy

20:13 - Krye:
    quit for a month or two, then restarted early 2008

took me months to feel like I was any good whatsoever

and that's only cos I was able to beat my fellow dutchmen (who weren't that strong at the time, just like myself!)

20:14 - Krye:
    plenty of people online really kicking my ass

20:14 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    ^have you always played lau?

went to WCG, got severely beaten down by several players, but that also made me a lot stronger

no I started out playing Goh

20:14 - Darksoul173:
    practice basics and know your character frames and the universal frames

but vanilla Goh was superdifficult to play for a beginner

20:15 - Krye:
    fuck the frames man

20:15 - Dhaval Katbamna:
    cool, back when goh was actually a judoka and not a beat your face in street brawler

20:15 - Darksoul173:
    elbow and PK are -4 etc.

practice getting launchers to hit

for defense fuck fuzzy and all that shit, that comes later

focus on guarding and predicting the throw the opp will use

20:16 - Krye:
    if you know they're gonna throw for sure give them the knee

once you get comfy with that mix in evades

maybe a backdash or two, that kind of thing

those things are easy to grasp, they make sense immediately

20:17 - Krye:
    once you're able to do that you can start learning about frames and all that, but in the beginning it's not necessary

20:18 - Krye:
    after a while you'll want to understand why 2p beats you out at certain times, that's when you start learning about frames. Frames is basically->when can I beat 2p and when can I not beat 2p

20:18 - Pai~Chun:
    goh was pretty technical for years, hence why with fs version, some his fans were horrified

20:18 - Pai~Chun:
    strider we must play, i'll run you through a lau mash :)

20:18 - Krye:
    Pai-Chun is a good first target

20:18 - Strider786:
    will do pai chun, once i get xbl your on :)

20:19 - Strider786:
    whys that krye?

20:19 - Krye:
    that's how I got better->I picked a target and kept fighting until I was able to beat him
    00:58 - Unicorn:
    I was throwing you 24/7 out of every oadvantage of mine, seeing you are just blocking. I was reaactng on what you do. Then youstarted to abare - again, reacting. And me then, I started to Knee you - again, reacting. And you started to be morale again (reacting) and I started to throw you again :)

00:59 - Unicorn:
    basically watch for anything your opponent is doing constantly and then use it against him

point is what to wacth for: everything repetetive

is he evading using UP only? Use it against him!

01:00 - Unicorn:
    is he doing 44866G at specific situaion only (typically jean after 66P blocked or wolf after 3P+K blocked)?: Use it against him

01:00 - Unicorn:
    is that Goh doing -10 moves and then throw/punch reversal? Knee him!

01:01 - Unicorn:
    just watch for patters of any kind and try to use them

01:01 - Unicorn:
    what helped ME a lot was using that 5-sec pause between rounds

01:02 - Unicorn:
    just quickly remind yourself what you are doing wrong and what is your opponent doing wrong

01:02 - Unicorn:
    and wheter you stick to your plan from last 5-sec pause

01:03 - Unicorn:
    also if you have big problem like this, school yourself after every fail

01:03 - Unicorn:
    just tell to yourself "I SHOULD DO THIS, MORON ME!" every time you fail
    8. 13:09 -Unicorn:

strider max damage combos, nonsence flowchart abare in specific situations[​IMG]

12. 13:11 -Unicorn:

I escape your 6throw => youre -6 => you do 2P 24/7

13. 13:11 -Unicorn:

I block your PK => youre -4 => you do 2P 24/7

14. 13:12 -Unicorn:

things like this are why you surely should watch your own replays... And if you do not like them? remember why and change it![​IMG]

17. 13:13 -Unicorn:

and not even several Gohs knees make you remember[​IMG]

18. 13:13 -Strider786:

ikr[​IMG]

21. 13:16 -MarlyJay:

Strider, knowing when to abare and with what is something you should work on as it's so strong with Jeff.

23. 13:17 -MarlyJay:

At low disadvantages at least a 3rd of the time you should be abaring with one of 2P or 4KP. At big disadvantages you abare is basically to beat a throw, so you should use a big move

24. 13:17 -MarlyJay:

like 6K

25. 13:19 -Strider786:

so i should NEVER 2p at higher disadvantage situations

28. 13:20 -Unicorn:

it is not NEVER, as there are some specific situations where it still works, but it is "just" never[​IMG]

38. 13:23 -Unicorn:

Strider 1) go for the damage. 6K KPK is STUPID kombo[​IMG]2) abare smart, abare unpredictibly 3) if you are doign resets, you need to do OTGs as well

39. 13:23 -Unicorn:

this are what I will say you should focus on right now

40. 13:24 -Strider786:

6K P 2P 666PP vs wolf... i know it but i just dont friggin do it[​IMG]

41. 13:25 -Unicorn:

I saw you doing 6K KPK even vs ligher weights

42. 13:25 -Strider786:

i know! i just need to drill it more in dojo vs cpu..

43. 13:26 -Unicorn:

also on MC, you should do 6K P 46P+K 4PK vs Wolf..?

44. 13:27 -Strider786:

i think its MC 6K, 43P+K, 4PK

45. 13:29 -Strider786:

oh yea you're right

46. 13:35 -Combolammas:

Strider 6K, 6_P, 6_P, 66PP does same damage as 6K, P, 2P, 66PP and it works reliably both stances.

47. 13:37 -Strider786:

right thanks combo.

48. 13:37 -Combolammas:

Though if I might suggest use 33P as abare vs wolf, it does a shit ton more damage.

49. 13:38 -Combolammas:

Minor counter 6K, P, P, 66PP is 76. minor counter 6, P, KPP is 82 open only.

50. 13:38 -Combolammas:

minor counter 33P, 2_3P~P+K+G, threat PP, 66PP is 96 both stances

51. 13:39 -Combolammas:

Oh yeah, 98 with 4P,K ender

52. 13:41 -Strider786:

wow thank a lot man. I have a lot of trouble hitting 33p on 1p side though. i have a korean stick with no gate so its hard to feel where 3 is alot of times

53. 13:41 -VFEllhn:

strider also something i noticed, after 46P ,214P+K ,41236P+K dont do everytime 2P as ender. i know its good for oki setups but try to not do it that much cause you are predictable

54. 13:42 -Strider786:

thats the idea ellhn[​IMG]i want them to know im gonna reset them with 6K+G if they tech so they stay down and i can use an OTG combo

55. 13:42 -Strider786:

its the whole point of that set up

56. 13:43 -VFEllhn:

hm i dont know otg with jeffry[​IMG]

57. 13:43 -VFEllhn:

i didnt knew about that[​IMG]

58. 13:43 -Unicorn:

strider just be careful that 33 will usually waste your frame(s) so you may fail to abare in time, otherwise this is good advice (and I think not only vs wolf but should be JA+ I think?)

59. 13:43 -Strider786:

i usually 33p, 43pp after that particular set up as an otg

60. 13:44 -Unicorn:

OTGs are very important for Jeffry

61. 13:45 -Strider786:

its japanese tech ellhn[​IMG]and uni i was just thinking that.. i think i'll use 3K+G seeing as its only 3 frames slower on 1p side, i can hit 33p almost perfectly on 2p side

62. 13:45 -VFEllhn:

ok good to know . thx[​IMG]

63. 13:46 -Strider786:

it works well after a 4kp KD, but it can be evaded sometimes..

64. 13:46 -Unicorn:

if you abare versus throw, you do nto care about exe frames (as long as it is less that 30f), you care about damage only

65. 13:46 -Combolammas:

lol, shows how much Jeff I've played recently, I forgot about 3K+G totally

66. 13:47 -Combolammas:

That probably hurts more than 33P

67. 13:47 -Strider786:

plus 3K+G combos gives the best timing for that 6K+G set up

69. 13:47 -Combolammas:

Yep, simple 3K+G, 214P+K, hcfP+K, 4K,P is 99 on Wolf minor counter both stances

71. 13:48 -Unicorn:

actually 46P should be good option too[​IMG]
    ...the "basics" are the same for all characters. Elbow/throw, use advantage, don't waste frames.
    1. 19:34 - Libertine:
      The key to punishing is to not plan your next move and to just react to what happens. It's that way for me, anyway.
    2. 19:35 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      you talking about evade punishment or just in general?
    3. 19:35 - Libertine:
      How many times have you seen someone have +13 but use a low attack to get a KO?
    4. 19:35 - Libertine:
      Not keeping your mind bland does that to you.
    5. 19:35 - Libertine:
      *blank
    6. 19:36 - Libertine:
      I meant both after guarding and evading.
    7. 19:36 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      how many times have i seen somone throw punish at +15? You dont want to know
    8. 19:36 - gastinell:
      happens 2 me all the time
    9. 19:36 - gastinell:
      i throwpunish at +15 with lei fei cause his punishes are ass lol
    10. 19:37 - gastinell:
      he has p6p and k+g p :(
    11. 19:37 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      doesnt he have k+g p or that stupid hopkick at 15?
    12. 19:37 - gastinell:
      and i hate that move
    13. 19:37 - Libertine:
      It's because i. you may know what to use but you haven't training your reflexes and ii. you might be concentrating on the move you want to use.
    14. 19:37 - gastinell:
      na his hopkick is 17
    15. 19:37 - Libertine:
      *haven't trained
    16. 19:38 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      Sorry strider and PreP, but you guys are an example of what lib is talking about
    17. 19:38 - Libertine:
      My punishment is a lot better now, but now I have a problem using 6P+K when 2P+K6P is better on some characters.
    18. 19:38 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      blocked 9k, stider does 6k, gets blocked, prep does 9k, blocked.... Strider does 6k blocked and then PREP finally hits a 9k
    19. Strider786:
      fuck you dhaballz
    1. 17:23 - Stl_Tim:
      Ask yourself: do you truly understand the mechanics of fs??
    2. 17:23 - PReP:
      I will! :) and yeah i am trying to get him to join online sometime soonish, he keeps playing locally whenever he visits so he might make a lau someday :p
    3. 17:23 - MarlyJay:
      Yes, but i wish i didn't Tim. lol
    4. 17:23 - Modelah:
      Answer: Not really, Tim.
    5. 17:24 - MarlyJay:
      because this game makesno bloddy sense
    6. 17:25 - Stl_Tim:
      Marly: we need an extensive successful evade chart with flowcharts after frame adv/disadv to increase awareness
    7. 17:25 - PReP:
      if mechanics is the availability of all the moves, defensive options and adding and subtracting frames due to block, ch, stagger hit and such - then i understand the concept, but i am far from fluent and reactionary in them =/
    8. 17:25 - Modelah:
      ^
    9. 17:25 - Stl_Tim:
      I feel this section of vf is auto piloted a lot!
    10. 17:25 - PReP:
      Found "workarounds" such as ecd and fuzzying adds even more factors to get worked in.
    11. 17:26 - MarlyJay:
      Tim people don't even realise they're at disadvantage from blocked elbow. Do you really think that would help?
    12. 17:26 - Stl_Tim:
      That's muscle memory
    13. 17:26 - MarlyJay:
      You can calculate advantage using current frame data anyway, for what it's worth
    14. 17:26 - Stl_Tim:
      I meant just for the maniacs
    15. 17:27 - Modelah:
      Taka-zilla can't really fuzzy, PReP. Scratch that one off the to-learn list, lol.
    16. 17:27 - MarlyJay:
      surely maniacs would just use total frames and calculate from scratch?
    17. 17:27 - Stl_Tim:
      I'll do it, but keep them haters at bay
    18. 17:27 - PReP:
      There is the know, and then there is the motorics, and then also the reading, and getting as good a risk/reward offensive as possible. Currently my work is doing less insensible stuff, and to add some damage to my combo opportunities. i am lacking in both areas
    19. 17:28 - Stl_Tim:
      Taka only has 4p to 33g, poor fatty
    20. 17:28 - Stl_Tim:
      I lol at taka's 33ging during blocked moves
    21. 17:28 - PReP:
      Or as Marly Said after our FT10, "to try to play more frame tight and not take the piss all the time" :p
    22. 17:29 - MarlyJay:
      You have trouble reading opponents because you don't always recognise advantage/disadvatage PReP
    23. 17:29 - Modelah:
      yep. And obscure 9GP
    24. 17:29 - Stl_Tim:
      Ft promotes pissing, you have to cap it off
    25. 17:29 - MarlyJay:
      Yesterday there were times when i was - frames and you'd evade or just block
    26. 17:30 - MarlyJay:
      On the plus side it makes it near impossible to read you because you're random as fuck :D
    27. 17:31 - MarlyJay:
      the bad side though is that if the opponent knows how to VF, they'll revert to a very boring safe mid game and eat up all your occasional abare.
    28. 17:31 - Modelah:
      Random as fuck, lol! (PReP has no problems reading me, though -BAH)
    29. 17:32 - cruzlink2:
      what games is this?
    30. 17:32 - MarlyJay:
      this is what happens when i play you and why i'll get a bit bored, because when i change you don't also change. Makes it difficult to take matches seriously
    31. 17:32 - MarlyJay:
      FS Cruz. We're talking about the madness that is Final Showdown
    32. 17:32 - MarlyJay:
      (Online)
    33. 17:33 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      Cruz, how's it going?
    34. 17:33 - MarlyJay:
      to be fair to FS, even though the system is crazy, it still plays like VF offline
    35. 17:33 - cruzlink2:
      oh. I thought we'd be used to that shit by now. been damn near 3 years.
    36. 17:34 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      Marly, online is the only virtua fighter :D
    37. 17:34 - MarlyJay:
      oh i'm used to it. doesn't mean it isnt mad though. lol
    38. 17:34 - MarlyJay:
      Dhav it isn't even really VF. Offline experience is so different
    39. 17:34 - cruzlink2:
      I am good paused that nico nico tourney to pick up ingredients for tonight's finner.
    40. 17:35 - Stl_Tim:
      In a nutshell if you aren't promoting -1 to -9 defensive skills after bad choices your not optimizing multi def option select. If your betting on clean evade adv then know at -4 vs evading 11frame p class you'll be left at 0. This applys to knowing chara p class for you and opponent
    41. 17:35 - cruzlink2:
      I usually turn it off when it gets to that point.
    42. 17:35 - Dhaval Katbamna:
      I know marly, you took the bait well though
    43. 17:36 - Stl_Tim:
      -5 evading and attacking is a no go unless you high crush or sabaki buffer
    44. 17:37 - MarlyJay:
      Tim that would be true if people didn't waste frames
    45. 17:38 - MarlyJay:
      I'm always of the opinion that NEVER doing something is near as bad as ALWAYs doing it, anyway
    46. 17:38 - Stl_Tim:
      Being able to keep your eye on the layers of evade choice after initial evade is a flow chart I need to create
    47. 17:39 - Stl_Tim:
      After a couple of these situations let's you know when your opponent goes into sympathetic auto pilot mode
    48. 17:40 - Stl_Tim:
      That's the tells that higher players look for
    49. 17:41 - PReP:
      I am selectively very random yeah - being hard to read is my only small save. It isn't totally willy-nilly do. And i have improved my defense bunches since some year ago - i am just not there yet. And even if you don't see it, i really try to find different ways to get at you marly, round to round or fight to fight - but the critique is honest, i tend to miss sane opportunities a lot and i have
    50. 17:41 - Stl_Tim:
      Gt excels at never leaving this path and keeping momentum.
    51. 17:41 - PReP:
      much improvement to make. I don't give up though :) and i don't make excuses!
    52. 17:41 - PReP:
      @ Modelah, i am ready to spar now :)
    53. 17:42 - PReP:
      Will re-plug the ps3 and turn that VF on :) see ya there!
    54. 17:42 - PReP:
      Thanks for all the advice people :) see ya
    55. 17:42 - Stl_Tim:
      Most basic missed chance is evading launch class and not launching, happens too much !!!
    56. 17:51 - Stl_Tim:
      Ex:Jeff does 2p+k @ -3 on block. He can morally 2_8g to get whiffed throw and recovery free pk or blocked elbow @+5. Jeff should know if they evade attack they are not in adv even vs Jeff's p class.
    57. 17:52 - Stl_Tim:
      If Jeff knows at -3 he is anticipating a linear move he still is at adv with successful evade.
    58. 17:53 - Stl_Tim:
      The trick is to make your poke moves strong and be around -3
    59. 17:55 - Stl_Tim:
      Lions 3p is a great tool for this...
    60. 17:58 - Stl_Tim:
      Using bigger moves should be from side only due to heavy recovery from being evaded

1. 18:23 - Stl_Tim:
      Yo, with this successful dm into late delayed om it leaves you at a smaller than usual adv. having said that, vs different move class I'm almost betting om raps around bigger moves to the back at a +5 bonus.
    2. 18:24 - Stl_Tim:
      Never used this before, it seems not consistent and dangerous.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Great tips on defence
    http://virtuafighter.com/threads/defense-with-gt.17041/
    http://virtuafighter.com/threads/defense-with-gt.17041/page-2#post-353054

PKG frame data and uses
    http://virtuafighter.com/threads/vf5fs-pkg-cancel-rankings.15497/

using PK as alauncher
    http://virtuafighter.com/threads/launching-with-pks.18915/

option select for down attacks (this is more for beginners, but usefull stuff)
    http://virtuafighter.com/threads/option-select-down-attacks.17957/

also, put that dialogues into spoilers, it is long as fuck that post of yours :)

MarlyJay, Strider786 and -Nappy- like this.
  3. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    more to come :)

VF podcast with Kamaage - MUST HEAR for ANYONE
    http://www.divshare.com/download/19026166-b74

^this is one of best VF-related source of informations overall if you knwo the game somehow already

Chibiaya anti-Jacky tutorial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wwynb6AG28

CD fuzzy guard option select
    http://virtuafighter.com/threads/crouch-dash-fuzzy-option-select.16680/

in the mind of akira podcast
    https://soundcloud.com/andra-pickens/vfdc-podcast-2-mind-of-akira

in the mind of eileen podcast
    http://www.divshare.com/download/19132362-4d7

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    MarlyJay and Strider786 like this.
  4. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Also, this is somethign GT say about year and half ago in shoutbox, I liked it very much so I saved it for "later use" (tm) :)

The way you learn matchups in fighting games is finding ways to reduce the risk of you losing. So if Jeffry does 50% damage on CH 6K and 0-65 damage if I just stand there guess TE, which option should I let hit me? Not to mention it isn't impossible to avoid that guess entirely.

When I really want to win, I don't play the "yomi" game as much. I just play the numbers...

Or maybe I should say I reduce the risk of losing and increase chances of winning. They are both the same thing really but for some reason I associate reducing risk of losing with defense and increasing chances of winning with offense