1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

MINAMI step !!!!! (help)

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by ukmc2, Mar 30, 2004.

1. ukmc2

ukmc2 Active Member

hey guys....
    i have looked up posts about the crazy minami step
    and i just can't get the hang of it.
    i mean.
    i can do the stepping
    [3][3](neutral)[3].[3].[3].[3]......etc
    but when try to do it with the [G]
    [3][3][G](hold)[2]
    i can't really see how it goes.
    do i punch the second [3] and the [G] at the same time?
    or [G] is slightly after the input of [3]?
    and also,
    how long do i hold the [G]?
    when i input[2] later.
    does the [G] still need to be hold? or no?

oh well....
    everytime i try to do the
    [3][3][G][1][1][G]
    it just seems so awkard.
    it's just like.... the dashing will stop in to a crunch everytime
    i hit the [G]

i am rally frustrated now.
    can anyone help me out?
    or is there still video on the web to see how it's done?

2. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

The actual Minami step is:

[4][4], [8] or [2], [3][3], [1][1], [6][6], repeat. There is no [G] needed - all those movements can be canceled into each other.

It is: backdash, evade, crouchdash foward, crouchdash backward, dash foward, repeat

You said you are trying to hit [2] (evade) after a crouchdash? Well yes you have to let go of [G] before you can evade. The [G] only needs to be tapped to cancel the crouchdash.

If you are trying to do crouchdash foward, crouchdash backward, there really is no [G] needed. They can naturally cancel into each other.
    So just [3][3], [1][1], and so on.

If you are trying to do the special [G]-canceled crouchdash, the input is:

[1][1][G][1][G][1][G][1][G]...etc

The timing is akward at first, so try doing it slowly and then speeding up once you have the rhythm.

3. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    minami step is over rated! Konjou step is the FUTURE! <font color="red"> *snicker - giggle - snicker* </font>

in case you don't get it. I AM TEASING!

4. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

i think the pattern he uses in ks2 is:
    [1][1][4][4] then [8] or [2] depending on where his back is, then [3][3] [G]cancel, [1][1] repeats from step 1

in plain english is Crouch dash back, backdash, evade, crouch dash forward G cancels the evade, repeat.

this is what i gathered from slowmoing KS2 dvd, the hard part is the speed you enter these commands.

5. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    You got to be super fast and get the right timing down for the [3][3],[G],[1][1] to look smooth and not all choppy looking. It's really just practice. You can do [3][3],[1][1] without the [G] but it won't come out as fast. Adding the [G] let's you cancel the [3][3] faster but like I said, it's up to you to have the ability to actually move your hands fast enough to make it look right. The two main parts is knowing the exact time to hit [G], and inputting [1][1] as fast as possible after hitting [G]. Imagine how fast you think you got to go, and input it like x5 that speed and thats the right way.

Same thing with [1][1],[G][1] fast cd. Which I've found out that personally its easier to do [1][1],[G],[2][1]. There's different looks to this cd depending on how fast you go, and if you do it the absolute fastest way, your character will just slide back smoothly and fast, with no real notice of the [G] part. Stuff like that you got to be crazy fast with. IMF is good at all that. Get him to post and ask how he does it. This is just how I do it but I wouldn't doubt it if there's different ways.

Go into training mode and just work on it. You'll see improvements eventually. And remember timing and speed is essential. Both work hand and hand.

One last thing, the sad truth is this is a very hard thing to learn if you're expecting to move like a Minami Akira or Oshu. The majority of people either don't bother, or they just can't go that fast. Not to discourage anyone, but it's the truth.

6. ukmc2

ukmc2 Active Member

hum...
    i think i have more idea how it's gonna flow.
    thanks guys...
    and btw...
    is there any video clip on the net that
    i mean, shows the differences between just
    [3][3] and [3][3][G]
    'cus i really havn't get a hand of it.
    so i might as just to see the "correct" step to go for....

^__^

7. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

stepping is not really something that can be taught... even if people show you the input, there is still very little chance you'll be able to replicate it simply from imitation. You need to just sit down and play around with it yourself to be able to get the timing down to a habit.

8. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

You see ppl like Srider said stepping can't be taught like with a pad you can step with it but it's pretty bloody hard compare to a stick. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. ukmc2

ukmc2 Active Member

hum...
    i still can't get the hang of it.

is the speed i input must be very fast?
    or as always...."TIMING" is the only thing?
    i mean.....
    do i input it,say, same speed as the modified DBPalm?
    or slightly faster? or?

10. Mysterious_Red

Mysterious_Red Well-Known Member

see, i funny thing i discovered is that minami step is only useful against advance type players. a casual player might not exactly get "dazzled" by it, it won't affect him, and he'll continue with his normal attack pattern.
    i was playing my friend this weekend, i backdashed and got some distance, then started minaming (atleast i think i do it right [3][3][G][1][1][G][4][4][G] etc etc), but he easily got me with kage's running sweep. whereas the other day i was playing w/my brother (who is on par w/my lvl), and he got confused numerous times.
    p.s. (for characters that have the ability to cancel their
    [K]) [3][3][G][K][G] looks great.

11. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mysterious_Red said:
    p.s. (for characters that have the ability to cancel their
    [K]) [3][3][G][K][G] looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe again Konjou Step!

12. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Hands down Konjou step OWNS!!!

Any chance of putting a link to your stepping vid here Konjou?

13. TexasLion

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    [ QUOTE ]
    ukmc2 said:

hum...
    i still can't get the hang of it.

is the speed i input must be very fast?
    or as always...."TIMING" is the only thing?
    i mean.....
    do i input it,say, same speed as the modified DBPalm?
    or slightly faster? or?

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot to ask what you're using to play with, a stick or a pad? If it's a pad then you do realize you are going to have to work like 10x as hard as someone on a stick? I can't move worth jack on a pad.

14. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Yeah. Minami is really only something you want to use to fake out someone who's at a level high-enough to be wary of it.

It's one of those odd things that doesn't work against scrubs and new players, but can be useful in getting some time to yourself against a good player.

15. Valdimiar

Valdimiar Well-Known Member

So the minami steps just to be confusing, Does it work well against the AI

16. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

Ok, let me reiterate on what Painty said. The Minami Step is IN PART to be confusing but it's supposed to be away to move around with better imunity to linear moves as well, and to that end, yes it does work pretty well against the AI.

17. ukmc2

ukmc2 Active Member

hum....
    finally, i am getting something out from my training.
    ive became a champion.. ^__^
    YEE HOO~

but sadly....
    still can't really do the minami step
    so i simply it down to just do the
    [6][6],[1][1],[6][6],[1][1] (repeat)
    i just still can't do the
    [1][1][G]then follow up any other moves.
    it simply just will stucked there and looks like there's a huge pause between. >__<

but what i found out is that
    instad of doing
    [6][6],[1][1],[6][6],[1][1]
    i found out that
    [6][6][3][2][1][1],[6][6][3][2][1][1]
    looks a lot smoother and looks pretty cool.
    but after countless trieds.
    my left hand is totaly F%%Ked up now !!!
    when i eat my cereos in the morning.
    IT JUST KEEPS SHAKKING.....
    (it was like... oh yeah... see that serio doing the MINAMI move~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~)

18. TexasLion

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Minami Step (right click and save as if it wont load up regularly)

Pay attention at 1:53. This is Minami Akira doing the step. From what I can tell, he's doing [4][4][2][3][3][G][1][1][4][4][2][3][3][G] - [K],[G] -[3][3][G][4][4][2]

This is what it looks like so now you know just how fast you got to be.

And your hands do get sore from stepping, and at first it seems like a total chore and it's really hard work, but it gets a lot easier through time. Just don't give up and keep practicing.

19. ukmc2

ukmc2 Active Member

now i get it
    but this one he isn't doing it too fast yet
    i've seen other ones that
    he simply just move way faster than[4] this one.
    i found out that a move he does is like.

i guess it's like

[4][4][2][K][G][3][3][4][6][P]
    and it looks sooooooooo cool

20. Jay13

Jay13 Member

Been looking for this for a while...thks.