1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Mortal Kombat 9

Discussion in 'General' started by Mackfactor, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

uppercuts seem really fast in this game, might even be faster than some standing jabs.

Could probably uppercut mashers who keep hitting buttons after some moves recover.

This game needs frame data so bad

2. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I played a couple of 1-VS-1 tag matches last night and didn't notice any lag, but I only played one guy in player match for a while, so I haven't really dived head-first into MK's online yet. This weekend though, I'm definitely going to start playing online MUCH more and really check it out.

At this point in time, I'm pretty sure it's 100% understood, among fighting game developers and fans, that the quality of the online VS experience can make or break the game. There's little doubt in my mind that Nether Realm is working furiously to fix any and all issues with the netcode and matchmaking right now. It's one of those issues that has to be fixed quickly or it can REALLY hurt the game...

Even SNK has recently been saying they understand how important a high quality online experience is for KOFXIII; no doubt they came to that realization because they've gotten the message from fans that every fighting game they've released in the past few years has been basically unplayable online. Honestly, I don't have a lot hope that SNK will get their act together, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

3. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
  4. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Negative edge. The commands for some characters mesh a bit too much for negative edge to be in the game imo. I think Sonya is kinda broke, particularly because of damage and being able to cancel into her qcb2 stance off of chains and still creating enough hit stun to continue combos/create mix-ups. I dont know how to play her yet but im looking to learn. I've been using Johnny, its kinda nice having easy-ass taunt>jet upper pressure lol.

5. Outfoxd

Outfoxd Well-Known Member

So far it's between Smoke and Kano for me. I guess I'll have to wait until I actually play people to see.

6. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Sonya has a block string she can keep doing over and over, and the only way to get out is to get launched, but it's going to be patched out real soon, so I wouldnt even revolve a game around that. I don't know how that's going to change the properties of moves going into her stance though, cause that stance is super fun, will probably change the recovery or safte of some of her strikes going into it. Also Liu Kang is dope too, he's basic but got some serious swagger.

Right now, characters I mess with are: Kitana, Smoke, Liu Kang, Sonya, Mileena

Kitana is my main though, but I'm looking at rockin one of these others as another main and for a tag partner. Top choices atm is Liu Kang or Sonya

7. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

WOW!!! This guy is actually awesome! He's very creative, those Reptile combos were incredible, I never even thought about using his 46+Y move in that way!

8. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    I`ve not had a propor look myself yet but he has been uploading new videos frequently displaying combo potential with what seems like all the characters.

I`ll probably pick this game up further down the line.

9. Outfoxd

Just finished story mode, which was an oddly satisfying experience for a fighting game. Unlocked all the costumes except one...

And then Playstation Network goes down. Knew I shoulda bought a 360 copy. ><

10. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    is it just me, or is anyone else getting alot of dyschchronizing and disconnects?
    my ratio is about 50 percent. im not sure its my Internet or its the netcode? MY ISP, actually didnt make my internt 25mbs yet, they f'd up again....................

11. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

The online is just standard, which isn't good enough, but I can get sessions that last. Something is wrong with your ISP, that one match I had with you had worst connection than I've ever had over to the east coast, it felt like we were using a strand of yarn in the ethernet port.

12. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I've been playing since MK1 in 1992 and the only one I skipped was MK vs DC. IMO, MK9 is the best MK ever made. I was skeptical a few months ago, but after playing for a while and learning the system, I can tell that this game is the real deal. The online is not that great though, but I've been playing nonstop. The amount of content is crazy. Right now I'm using Ermac, Smoke and Kung Lao.

13. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I'm really digging this game, but the net code needs some serious help. I've only played about 2-3 matches online and I've already had enough. The connection status icon shows me full bars or dots in this case and yet the matches were very sluggish.

I agree with DRE that this could possibly be the best MK yet, but it definitely needs some tweaking and the online play needs to seriously improve.

Well off to learn some Kung Lao like 99% of the other players out there... sheesh I hope NRS throws this dog a bone quick because he's on a tier all by himself.

14. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

It sounds like MK series has a good reputation since MK1?

15. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    i saw the interview and they said they regretted making so many MK so fast so often. If they release slower and take the time to make a product like this each and evrytime we can expect more great things from this company. i find it a turnoff to see so many capcom games.. like they release it just to release it. Quality over quantity. They stated they wanna keep close with the community and want feedback and will make chnges often according to what the fans want.

16. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Ok I have given up on RANDOM online matches until a patch or something is released. Denkai was over last night to check out the game since I have been giving it praise and I must have searched for like 15 minutes or more for a match and couldn't find anything despite the fact tons of people were playing the game... Then when I did find something the connection was just horrendous.

If anyone is looking for a punching dummy to spar with please hit me up. I really want to learn this game, but I'm not learning anything playing against the CPU but bad habits. Honestly I'm not learning anything at all lol

For all those who I normally have a good connection with in VF please hit me up if you want to play. Be warned... I suck really bad so don't expect much. I'm hoping being under pressure with force me to learn combos quicker because right now I'm having a very hard time just remembering these 3 button dial-a-combos hahahahaha seriously I find it amusing I can't remember something so simple as 3-4 button presses [​IMG]

17. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    What console do you have this on? Xbox I trust? Its possible that I buy this if its worth trying.

18. Outfoxd

If I end up nabbing a 360 copy I'll play too. Since it's clear I won't be playing online with Ps3 for awhile.

19. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

1v1 lobbies seem less laggy than the king of the hill ones, but there's still noticeable input delay and bullshit. It's too bad because the game is so good in almost every other way offline.

20. Outfoxd

Finally played some offline with some fighter friends. Game seems to have some of the tension of guessing games of 3-d fighters with the emphasis on zoning and space control of 2-d ones. It's interesting.