1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Moved: The Official "Free Shang" thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Chief_Flash, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    LOL can't argue back cuz banned. Way to win @BLACKSTAR . When u can't win just ban. GG

IcKY99 likes this.
  2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hold on hold on hold on hold oOoon.......shang is banned? how!? I mean Ive seen in the past shit he's done and yeah sure ban away, but this time....holy shit man, I think this is the first time im gonna call power abuse. are we getting a little TOO sensitive?

is citrus really gonna have his childhood ruined cause of shang's post? the "insult" was basically "you dont know how to read!" not even a curse word was there. Really? a ban over THAT? I was reading this nice threrad and people were having good discussions and all of a sudden i read shang was banned, then i was like "wtf how? what? it couldn't be because of that MILD citrus burn....where was warning 2?!

anyway, i dont usually butt in much, but maaaaaaaan, this time was a huge WTF. how come thius dude jason ( http://virtuafighter.com/threads/vf-arena.20024/page-23 ) doesnt get a ban and shang does for THIS? im just curious.

and no, im not here defending shang cause ive known him since forever, he deserves some of his bans...but THIS? ....

just saying.

IcKY99 and Chief_Flash like this.
  3. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
  4. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Shang banned? WTF?

5. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    LOL

I come home from final round, eating a quesadilla, and getting ready to watch a stream, just to log into VFDC and see all this go on, as well as shang blowing up my comp with facebook messages.

Well, just for the record, I did not ban @Shang for that post to @Citrus; I did exactly as I said I would - I gave him a warning for his disrespectful behavior. There is no reason to bring down others just to make your point, and doing so is petty and childish and doesn't belong in VFDC. That being said, simply getting a warning does NOT ban anyone.

However....

...while you can't get banned for a simple warning, you can get banned for multiple warnings. If you're acting like a decent human being, then you're ok and have nothing to worry about. But when you commit an action that warrants a warning, that warning stays with you for a certain finite period of time. If you collect enough warnings by acting irresponsibly over a small enough period of time, those collective actions will get you automatically banned by the site's warning system.

So long story short, shang showed enough bad behavior over a small enough period of time, I didn't have to ban him, even if I actually wanted to; he got himself banned by the system by getting warned too many times for his own irresponsible actions. And no, I don't know, look up, nor care about how many warning points any member has at any given point in time.

So yeah. This doesn't really have much to do with me. If anything, this should serve as a warning to the rest of the bad apples of VFDC that promotes hate and disrespectful behavior -- your disgraceful actions stick with you, so act like proper human beings, please.

Congratulations for signing your own Death Note, @Shang.

[​IMG]

Now, back to eating this delicious quesadilla.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Jason Elbow, Modelah, IcKY99 and 5 others like this.
  6. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    Normally I don't get involved in these squabbles but this ban kind of has me like WTF. I know @Shang has been labeled as the bad guy slash trouble maker for years now, but I don't think this is the case here.

While his choice of words are usually not always the best I kind of feel this ban was a bit personal for various reasons. I say that because I've seen tons and tons of people post some seriously foul shit on these boards towards other and not get banned. Due to them being new or not labeled as a trouble maker often we just look the other way. I can bet my whole paycheck if I attacked someone on here today I would not be banned. Why? Because it goes against the grain of who I am and is something I just wouldn't do. So it would be just swept under the rug as Rodney is just probably having a bad day.

Words can definitely hurt especially when read over the internet and you can't convey the context in which the words were implied, but over the years I've noticed that everyone is just so damn sensitive. We always want to talk bold and big, but when someone comes along and talks bigger it becomes offensive. I'm not saying @Shang is right for his constant choice of foul words, but I do think this ban was not necessary and could have totally been avoided.

Anyway things can't be changed once they are done and I hope my opinion doesn't offend anyone. But hopefully in the future there can be a little bit of discussion prior to anyone getting ban including myself.

IcKY99 likes this.
  7. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Contrary to belief, mods dont just walk around policing VFDC all day, since we have lives too. You guys need to police the forums too. That's part of being in a community. Tell the offenders to chill out and tone down their language or to stop being mean and disrespectful to others, ESPESCIALLY to newcomers.

And also, if there's an issue you want addressed by a mod, and we arent around, go and actually tell a mod to do something about it(when its actually happening). We have pm's, we show up on shoutbox, and you guys know all of us personally. Dont just (for example) tell us about stuff that happened a month ago, and then mention it in passing weeks later after everything is settled or when it feels convenient. We mods need your help, just like you need ours.

Also, if you dont understand why @Shang was banned, you should check my last post.

Ellis, Tricky, G0d3L and 1 other person like this.
  8. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

@BLACKSTAR, look here bottom tier black player, grow some balls of your own bro! & @akai what say U!?

9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Don't be a dick. We've seen how that works out.

And to be clear, warnings points are cumulative. The more you have the longer the system bans you. Most people get the warning once and chill so aren't banned. THERE IS NO CLICK HERE TO BAN ICON that mods use.

Ellis, G0d3L and BLACKSTAR like this.
  10. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chief_Flash and IcKY99 like this.
  11. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

ok, i think the issue is why the warning over a petty argument which was really not that insulting. this is a small ass community already, there's really nothing much to police. as for WHO is the one banning, its just a matter of who has a faster trigger warning button:

mod #1 = gave 50 warnings to user 01
    mod #2 = gave 5 warnings to user 01
    mod #3 = gave 16 warning to user 02
    mod #4 = gave 5 warnings to user 01

# of warnings needed to a ban = 60

mod #1 gave the most warnings to user 01
    mod #1 is practically responsable for his ban

sadly we dont know know which mod issues the most warnings...... :sneaky:

Chief_Flash and IcKY99 like this.
  12. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    If bstar was banning out of spite then @steelbaz would be banned by now. Some people are just not worth banning. Current mods are a step up from akai days that was really horrid. This community is absurdly small, please unban shang to please your 5 regular users in VFDC.

13. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
  14. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    This is odd, I don't see Shang unbanned yet. Surely you jest @BLACKSTAR?

Chief_Flash, Libertine and steelbaz like this.
  15. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    If a staffer has access to warning features and functions they should be able to see the cumulative warnings and would know the next warning they gave would result in a ban, either that or they are an incompetent staffer that doesn't look at the logs. You can give pm warnings to avoid hard bans from cumulative points or warnings in a thread without giving official ban points it's a choice, but if you choose to give ban points and can clearly see a user has enough that your warning will be sufficient to ban him, it is effectively you who has banned that user. At a site i'm staffed at we have access to user ban and warning logs, internal notes, we've contacted the police, have a lawyer on the staff, and also can undo bans easily at our own discretion. We are also able to place users on national lists that register their ip's and personal information on permanent government/official anti spam lists, but are only to use those bans in certain instances.

You can't really make the excuse that a certain staffer did not ban someone when it's clear that another warning would cause a ban and the staffer was the one that gave the ban inducing warning. The only way would be if there was no way to see a log of warnings issued by staff, which has never been the case anywhere I am or have been staff.

16. VFhayato

VFhayato Well-Known Member

Hi guys! Shang loves you! all! MmMmmmMMMmmmmm can we get a FT 10! shang vs bstar baby!

17. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
  18. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

So you all know I would probably be the last person to chime in here, but @BLACKSTAR makes a good point about us needing to tell each other to chill out. Policing our own behavior is a good idea, but without the knowledge of how close someone is to getting banned, we actually can't do a very good job of that. I think people would have told Shang to chill out if we all knew how close to the edge he actually was. What if our system was

If our warning system was transparent, as in you could see what each other's warning status is, then I think this point would be moot. Everyone in the community would have more sense of ownership when someone is banned, and it wouldn't bring the backlash that comes now.

If we are voting, I vote for Shang being back and institution of transparent warnings along with proximity to ban, how long the ban would be, and how long they need to chill out for. The code that manages all this could just have it show up on our profile like our forum points used to. There could even be various titles associated with how well-behaved people are. It'd be like real time feedback for the whole site to see "oh damn that dude is about to get banned. Chill the F out son."

Chief_Flash likes this.
  19. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

@steelbaz pwned the mods so badly, that they won't even respond. They're raging, thinking of a new excuse to keep Shang banned.

The peeps have spoken.

Chief_Flash likes this.
  20. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    #FREESHANG

Chief_Flash and Libertine like this.