1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with Taka's wake-up game

Discussion in 'Taka' started by Modelah, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    I mentioned in another thread that I'm not very good at applying pressure after I've knocked an opponent down.
    I noticed that some players are really good and I get hit by their attacks while rising more often than not.
    I've been trying:
    K
    6P+K,P,P
    4,3P
    K+G,P among other things.
    I suspect I'm just not getting the timing and spacing right.
    How do you guys keep the pressure on a downed opponent?

2. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Just about as simple as after they tech, run up to them and mixup a mid or a throw, or just block if you think they're going to "wake up reversal" if you don't handle meaties. If you think they're going to do a rising attack, 43P, 33P+K and 6K are your best options for beating them, though this takes careful timing. For low rising attacks, you can try to jump over it and then crouch throw them. Remember too that side tech rolls leave the opponent crouching so you get a guaranteed crouch throw attempt if timed well.

Modelah likes this.
  3. Modelah

PSN:
    Modelah
    Dude, what's a 'meaty'?
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't know side techs finish in a crouch, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

4. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    doing a move as a meatie means that you time it so that the active frames happen exactly when the player stading up can do something, thus forcing him to block as that's his only viable option. if you have this timing down the opponent should become scared of doing anything after teching.

if he doesn't tech, you can follow your combo/knockdown up with k, 3p, 4k+g, 3p+k, 2p+kp, etc. if he does tech, he has to block, so you can throw him (or do a low for another knockdown to repeat the above).

do moves that close off his options and are safe, or strings that can be delayed. moves that, when hit, you can continue your offence. don't do moves with long recovery so he can evade and punish. launchers are too risky as the opponent is likely to block. 4p+k(p) hitconfirm is possible if your feeling good, but i'd advise to keep it simpler (4p, 1p+k, 6p, 6k)

Modelah likes this.
  5. Modelah

PSN:
    Modelah
    Thanks for this, I tried doing meaties with the CPU in dojo but came to the conclusion that Taka just can't do them well. I guess I'll go back and try to get the timing down again!

6. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    well, besides strict meaties (overlapping their getting up, so they can't do anything), just timing your moves to hit once they stand up is also good. that way they cannot start their own offence. in that way you have a bigger window as the fastest attacks are 12 frames, so you can time your mid (usually a mid) to hit before their jab. that's a technique all characters can use. if you use fast recovering moves (p,6p, etc) if they evade, you are still neutral and you can mix throws in to keep them guessing.

Modelah likes this.
  7. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Timing a move to intercept their "wakeup reversal" doesn't really take any special timing since you automatically have the advantage vs. them as they are the one waking up, it is certainly easier than trying to beat rising attacks. The only thing you need to watch is that you're actually hitting them after they've teched and not too early, as stated above Taka's most meaty moves, or moves that have the most active frames, are 46P, 43P and 33P+K, you can try to use these moves to be extra sure, just take into consideration that 33P+K and 46P are pretty punishable on block, -17 and -18 respectively.