1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Neko Dojo's 2AFC Approach

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

By akai on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    For those seeking to learn and improve on their VF play, there are many good resources already available. For example, video tutorials and the VFDC Wiki. However, textbook-like resources that allow people to follow chapters sequentially for effective understanding is sorely lacking. The Neko Dojo team, the makers of Virtua Wrecker 5 Final Showdown and many other videos showcasing very damaging setups, presents their textbook-like resource 2AFC Approach (see below for Table of Contents).

slide.jpg

The goal of 2AFC Approach (Two-Alternative Forced Choice or what VFers might know as "nitaku") is to make players think of most situations as a choice between 2 actions. However, the overall message the Neko Dojo team wants to impart to beginners and intermediate players are:
    The 2AFC Approach is an ongoing work. It is unique for having both a Japanese and English text version. Not only is it a beneficial resource to new players, but it also contain valuable information for experienced players. What I like about 2AFC Approach is that it builds on preexisting resources with additional information. So check out Neko Dojo's 2AFC Approach! I will update the Table of Contents below as more blog entries are posted.

2AFC Table of Contents
    (last updated June 20, 2015)​
    2AFC Approach: Preface
    1. How to Reduce Input Lag (English / 日本語)
    2. General Properties of Attacks (English / 日本語)
    3. Attack Analysis (English / 日本語)
    4. Advantage and Disadvantage (English / 日本語)
    5. Top Tips for Command Input
    6. Attack Levels
    7. Training 1 (English / 日本語)
    8. General Strategy: Collision Detection (English / 日本語)
    9. General Properties of Foot Stance (English / 日本語)
    10. General Properties of Throw
    11. Fuzzy Guarding
    12. Catch Throws and Guard Breaks
    13. High Throws at Large Advantage

About the Neko Dojo Team
    The Neko Dojo team is composed of Hokkaido VFers: Academi-ya who writes majority of the text and manages their blog and Nachi Nozawa who edits majority of the videos. In addition, KEN KEN sometime helps with the making of the videos. Neko Dojo was originally created by Academi-ya in 2003 for Virtua Fighter 3 to 5. In 2010, he created the current blog for Final Showdown. Due to increasing workload, Academi-ya took less of the center stage on the blog's contents. However, seeing a lack of a textbook-like resource available, and that the success of that resource would require a seasoned player with knowledge of the VF system, he decided to write the 2AFC Approach.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Tricky
      Tricky
      Any tipps what the changes were?
      academi-ya likes this.
    2. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      @academi-ya
      Hello,

I am reading (finnally) through later posts and here are few tips about what I personally believe should be changed/updated/added:

http://virtuafighter.techblog.jp/vf5fs/throw-1.html
      * I think "after 7th frame after pressing down" should be mentioned
      * I think the "re-stand" time (5 frames after you start blocking high from crouch state if I am correct) should be mentioned
      * I think k~g (kick cancel) should be mentioned here besides Sabaki

http://virtuafighter.techblog.jp/vf5fs/throw-2.html
      I think it should be mentioned that unlike all other characters, Wolf have 4 different ranges on his throws.
      From shortest to longest
      * 6p+g (9-f throw)
      * all unmentioned + 426:p+G (Perfect Giant Swing)
      * 426P+G (Giant Swing - non-perfect), 8624P+G (F5)
      * 8426P+G (Burning Hammer)
      At least this is my personal list based on in-game experience. Unfortunatelly I know I may be wrong here because I never did proper testing in here; but I am 100% sure and had tested that reach of at least SOME throws differs for Wolf.

http://virtuafighter.techblog.jp/vf5fs/fuzzy-guard-3.html
      * small typo * Throwis instead of Throws

Anyway great work! Love your articles and looking forward to see more![/quote]
      Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
      academi-ya likes this.
    3. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      @academi-ya Personally I will also recommend (and appreciate) some analyze about VF5FS safety-net system.

As a hitbox player, I already identified many situations where inputting things too fast will result into different actions that you intended - and will result into this different actions no matter that you press all (directional) buttons correctly.
      This is less of any issue for stick player of course, but even here, safety-net system can screw some things if youre too fast on your (attack) buttons.

I am not sure if this still works in VF4 way where pressing P in neutral situation will naturally lead to 1-frame delay of your attack due to safety-net taking place, but I THINK it still works like that in FS
      academi-ya likes this.
    4. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      doing a kick cancel is executing an attack. You're just cancelling it. No need to mention the same thing twice.
      academi-ya likes this.
    5. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Myke,
       I'm very appreciative of the work you've made update of contents.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
    6. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Tricky,
       For example, in Diagram 111, a period of crouching state has been revised. The crouching state should be maintained for 6 frames after inability time.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
      Tricky likes this.
    7. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Unicorn,
       According to your reasonable suggestion, we have revised the original article.

Your suggestion is very reasonable. However, explanations of those questions aren’t so simple. I would like to write an article again if there is another chance.

We greatly appreciate your good suggestion. We have added a sentence as follow: In addition, depending on one's throws, the character has a variety of ranges to connect the opponent.

I'm very appreciative of your careful observation. According to your correction, we have revised the original article.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Unicorn likes this.
    8. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi MarlyJay,
       Please accept my heartfelt thanks for your comments.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
    9. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      I can not but feel ashamed of how nice and polite can some people be even on internet. Wow.
      academi-ya likes this.
    10. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

The 7th chapter of Strategy 2, Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks 1, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

Our message is that
      :
       At large advantage, nothing gives us greater confidence than exceptional power of Catch Throws.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      G0d3L and jimi Claymore like this.
    11. Myke
      Myke
      jimi Claymore and academi-ya like this.
    12. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Myke,
       I would like to express my appreciation for the speed in your work.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Myke likes this.
    13. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      @Kruza
       We greatly appreciate your identification. According to your reasonable suggestion, we have revised the original article (from satnding to standing). I hope that you will find an improvement in the revised article.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Kruza and EvenPit like this.
    14. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 12-2, Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks 2, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

Our message is that
      :
       The knowledge of states will help you to face the problem of Catch Throws.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
    15. Myke
      Myke
      Table of Contents updated with Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks - Part 2.
      Tricky and academi-ya like this.
    16. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Myke,
       I’m so pleased you have made update of contents despite being extremely busy.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      Tricky likes this.
    17. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 12-3, Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks 3, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

The key message is that
      :
       Success or failure in the attempt of Guard Break Attacks depends upon the Foot Stance.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      G0d3L and MakiLeSushi like this.
    18. Myke
      Myke
      Hi academi-ya, thanks for another great chapter! I've updated the Table of Contents, but I also have a few corrections for you below:
      • Introduction: Guard Break was actually introduced in VF2 Akira 6P+G
      • 12.6: Geikho Honko command should be 2P+K+G
      • 12.7: "The answer is that Rau holds a Fake Kick KG..." should be "The answer is that Lau holds a Fake Kick KG..."
      Kruza and academi-ya like this.
    19. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi Myke,
       I’m so pleased you have made update of contents despite being extremely busy. I have no words with which to express my gratitude.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude for careful examination of the article. According to your reasonable suggestion, we have revised the original article as follows:

• Introduction: The Guard Break was introduced even in Virtua Fighter 2 (since 1994) and established as Guard Break Attacks during Virtua Fighter 3 (since 2001).
      • 12.6: from 6P+K+G to 2P+K+G
      • 12.7: from Rau to Lau
       I hope that you will find an improvement in the revised article.

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      G0d3L, Kruza and Myke like this.
    20. academi-ya
      academi-ya
      Hi everyone,

Chapter 12-4, Catch Throws and Guard Break Attacks 4, has been posted on Neko-Dojo.

[​IMG]

The key note is that
      :
       'Fuzzy Guarding followed by Crouching' would allow you to avoid Guard Break Attacks (the sole exception is Akira’s Kaiko 6P+K+G) as well as normal 2-Choice Offense (composed of throws and up to 16 frames attacks).

Thanks,
      academi-ya
      shadowmaster, G0d3L, Myke and 3 others like this.