1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (XBLA)

Discussion in 'General' started by jinxhand, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

Hands down, this is the best SNK game for xbl in terms of netcode... I've played Cozby and a few other east coast cats (and some midwesterners) with very little to no lag... I think I've only had maybe 1 or 2 matches with bad lag, and I'm pretty sure its because they were downloading something. It's a huge step from KOF98UM and Garou. I just wish KOF98UM got the same treatment...

Oh yeah, there are a few stages that are missing, like the Dragon stage that caused so much lag. And the loadtimes are alittle bit faster than the us/eu ps2. I had the japanese version, so loadtimes were about 20-45 seconds depending on the stage... There's still no stage select unfortunately...

I believe they changed a few properties for some characters... I think Yuki could IAD with qcb+P from d+C but he can't in this version. He still has his combos like in the corner D, dp+C, d+D, qcf+E and his charge and uncharge combos work, too... With Tung, I haven't been able to get as many hits from mashing p move as I could in the previous version... I don't know of any other possible gameplay changes...

2. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I had the Pal PS2 version and this version has much improved load times. I also like the the way they've altered the sprites. Is that what they did in KOF94 Rebout?

3. jinxhand

Correction: Dragon stage is still in... Doesn't lag at all... It is rarely picked by the cpu...

As far as graphics go, it just merely got the HD treatment... That is, SNK still used the old school sprites from the original, but it is no longer old looking or pixelated as it did in the original... Even if it wasn't, I still prefer these graphics over say, KOFXI or even KOFNW, which is another overlooked KOF I like...

4. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    My mains were Rock and Kim, because those were the characters I immediately wanted to play. Recently I've practiced with Marco a bit. I dunno too much but would like to put him to test. Also no one told me Kyo had a semi-infinite! I gotta learn how to hit check into super. Also I've been messing with Robert, and the chick with the handbag.

I love the fact you can customize your character colors. I got the Magneto-colored Kim as a nod to Mvc2 Mag (Broke lol).

5. jinxhand

Yeah last I checked, Kim was more of a solid character than Big, however, Hanzo is a lower tier, and can actually crush higher tier characters with the simple fact that his teleport can allow a backwards j.D to connect, and he can combo from standing to ducking (and vice versa) into his super...

Kyo has an ultimate juggle move that allows to add several more hits to his standard combo... Most people do whatever and cancel to his hcb+b and then dp+a 3 times into either AD or super... Mizuchi has more of an infinite, but Chibi Death (on xbl) would know it...

Dark Geese (great KoF player) has a Kisarah guide on the srk wiki. He has some other guides for other characters as well, but Kisarah and Athena have the most indepth guides imo...

I don't see that many people play Rock, I'm guessing because he seems like a one trick pony, and he's a Shingo imo in comparison to Terry and Geese, but I've seen some good Rock matches though... Geese can't really combo except in the corner, but his corner rushdown and normal moves are where its at...

My Tung Fu Rue is currently rocking the Papa Smurf colors (blue skin/red outfit)..

6. TechRomancer

TechRomancer Well-Known Member

Really wish this was ported to PS3 as I planned on that being my next gen console. How is the online community for this game? According to Dreamcancel and SRK seemed to die off a bit.

To compensate I just stick to the PS2 version. My main team is King Lion and Akari with Shermie switched out and in.

I agree with the Rock thing jinxhand, he never seems like a huge threat unless you're making a lot of mistakes. I don't see him as very good on combos...seems you have to connect a close C or D to get anything worthwhile.

YT playlist BTW: http://www.youtube.com/user/Ergeniz#p/c/BC289255A4E7C92E

7. jinxhand

Yeah I wish it was ported to both consoles, but somehow integrated cross platform gaming... Too much to ask for I guess...

As far as Rock goes, the only thing really going for him is poking to bait for a hit to cancel into his qcb+a move... His corner combos are ok (raging storm to rising tackle), but rushdown-wise he's no Geese... Hope for a chance to bust out that command throw to cancel, then either qcb+p or super (which connecting it can be iffy sometimes)... You pretty much wanna work your opponent to a corner with him...

I might try some stuff out with him today and see if anything else can possibly be found with him (or if if he can truly stand to be playable)...

8. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

I don't think this warrants a new thread just yet, but KOF 2k2UM is coming out Nov. 3rd on XBLA

9. jinxhand

Hopefully this has NGBC's netcode and not KOF98UM's...

I need to start practicing that, too...

On a sidenote, there's slightly more people that play this game online... Some will drop whatever they're playing to get matches in also...

Mars People/Neo Dio is my new fav team (with black and red as their colors)... Neo Dio is a rushdown fiend, and his raging demon move (A~B~C) is way better than Gouki's... Plus his ice command throw allows for so much to be done, especially in the corner... Oh yeah, got thrown out of a super yesterday. Not sure how that's possible, but I believe there was a slow startup to the super...

10. TechRomancer

Neo Dio's Ice Command throw seems great at first until you realize its so slow to execute (the fire throw is faster, which is why you almost never see the ice one used in tourney match vids).

Neo Dio is weak imo against people that have high/mid reversal moves, catches his sonic/ultimate blade moves, j/HK, spin moves, etc. He's also a big target, cross-ups for days.

There are worse characters than Asura. Like Nak...or Yuki...and others I can't think of at the moment...

11. GetSelious

GetSelious Well-Known Member

IDK Yuki is not that bad he's a good counter pick against Kim Yuki has a lot of good tools AI is bad no question about it

12. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Someone has a really good Ai. I forget who it is though

13. jinxhand

Between the 2 "star characters", Ai beats Yuki hands down in terms of offense, and damage... Plus her counters are better...

14. TechRomancer

Yeah Ai is better than Yuki...Yuki is hands down one of the worst in the game.

15. jinxhand

Yuki has fun combos, and if you have a p charge you can catch anyone with that shoryuken on knockdown... It's sometimes hard to catch, but its a funny thing to see... And if you're quick, you can charge against and get one more hit from a second shoryuken...

I don't think he's the worse, Nakaruru is by far the worse I've seen... She doesn't really have much that's guaranteed except a good combo in the corner, and that's not always guaranteed... Good for rushdown maybe...

16. jinxhand

Anyone here fought Master N 727???

17. jinxhand

Tried that Jin Chonsu infinite today, and as soon as I canceled the uppercut into the qcfx2+C super, the opponent flew in the air, but swerved behind me, as if there was some quick fix to prevent the infinite from happening... It was like Hanzo's uppercut but worse...

Was this on the ps2 version also???

18. jinxhand

19. jinxhand

New vid showing combo opportunities given if you don't tech roll... Enjoy!!!

Quick note: for those new to the game, or just wondering: as soon as you see your character falling, hit A+B to tech. It's just like in KOF in terms of timing, so there's no need to worry. Hell, you can mash it out most times.

20. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

This is A Man's game.... like VF heh heh

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015