1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to VFDC? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by Myke, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Woodblock

Woodblock Member

Hello. I reside in Columbus, OH and presently play both VF5, mainly for the quest mode which allows for aggressive offline play, in regards to practicing basic moves and developing the sense not to button mash, but use efficiently strings of techniques with precision and also VF5-FS, in which I am getting accustomed after wiping the proverbial dust off the game, having purchased it over a year ago, only playing it prior a few times.

I am a strong shmup or shoot em up enthusiast, especially CAVE games, but also purchase fighting games, mainly because they have an arcade style of game play in which I tend to gravitate towards. Even with a small library of fighting titles for the XBOX 360, I haven't put any time or depth beyond playing with friends or the occasional computer opponent.

I work in the arcade industry and subsequently play console game titles on arcade cabinets, or specifically Japanese candy cabs.

Recently, I acquired a Lindbergh Japanese sit down universal cabinet fully dressed with VF5-FS marquee, control panel layout and move strip, including the base sticker.

Initially, I was going to convert the Lindbergh to a dedicated "Akai Katana" shmup cab in which to coincide with my "tate" New Net City, but decided to set up VF5-FS for the sake of a dedicated experience and began playing. Well, I got hooked. Virtua Fighter 5 is an amazing game. I am finding myself playing it daily, seeking to improve.

So, an odd way to fall into an arcade fighter but really enjoy the game play, far beyond other fighting game titles. I did recently purchase DOA 5 to experience some variety utilizing the three button layout.

Before I begin online matches, I want to reach a certain skill level in which I can utilize blocking efficiently, have a strong command of fighting moves and combos memorized, essentially feeling comfortable with my fighting skill level.

Presently, I am basically learning move lists and pouring play time in which to instinctively develop familiarity.

If anyone in Columbus or central Ohio actively plays VF5 and or shmups as a side note, let me know as I would like to have offline matches with another person.

Presently, I only have a one player panel, though that will change in the next month or so as I either obtain a licensed two player panel or a repro.

Anyhow, I will be active on these forums insomuch as my fighting spirit continues to grow. Fundamentally, I deeply enjoy VF5 and the satisfaction of it's game mechanics.

Perhaps a long winded introduction, but I should add: This site is excellent. All of the content, especially for beginners is first class. Also very impressed with the dedication of the members here. Reading through all of the posts gets me even more pumped up. Great community.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. tiago_c

tiago_c Member

PSN:
    tiago_c
    Welcome Woodblock, i play VF5 just for quest mode too xD wish that FS have the same, with online features would be pretty amazing.

Woodblock likes this.
  3. Woodblock

Woodblock Member

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes, the Quest mode is excellent for building an understanding of the game. I have close to two hundred matches played so far (very addictive) and the fast paced game play against computer components of varying difficulty has produced a noticeable increase in skill. I have now started to add blocking into my routine. Such a rich deepening experience.

Yes, if Quest mode was online and had tournaments with different arcades based on region, allowing one to visit different areas, either individually or as a team, competing and experiencing different regional templates, either nationally or internationally, the wealth of players would balloon considerably.

Not sure if this is capable internationally but on a regional level, there could be a deeper spirit of competition.

Anyhow, I haven't experienced the online modes of VF5 or VF5-FS yet, so not quite sure what there is to offer. Will stay offline until I can annihilate computer opponents at the highest difficulty level without being bludgeoned.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

4. Swank

Swank Member

PSN:
    SwnkButton
    XBL:
    SwankButton
    yo whats up internet. on ps3 and live not on here much, but challenge me if you see me in rank.

PoisonKid13 likes this.
  5. tiago_c

tiago_c Member

PSN:
    tiago_c
    Yes Quest is excellent to know the game, i did the same on 4EVO on the PS2 back then, probably the game i played the most on the system. Dunno about the online of VF5 (PS3 version dont have that) but FS is good, but hard to find continuous matches with good connection.

Woodblock likes this.
  6. MoonDog

MoonDog New Member

Hello, just joined the group from Phoenix, Arizona and new to fighting games. After checking out a few 3D and 2D fighters have decided that VF-FS is for me. I am playing Jean now and trying to learn the moves in the command list and tutorial...haven't memorized them just learning how to do them right now. Anyway, I am looking forward to learning and dedicating some time to this game as it as a simple interface with a lot of depth. Currently, I am stuck trying to cancel the Tadan Kubigeri in the command list. I have been able to guard cancel other moves and don't know why this one is giving me trouble. It is not a charge move, but has a long animation so I think I am hitting the G fast enough, but not sure. I am also having trouble with fourth evade tutorial lesson (fuzzy guard after an evade I think). Anyway, I am enjoying learning in the struggle.

Dark Nova Void likes this.
  7. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Welcome!

Every move have their own unique window in which a move can be canceled. For that move, the cancel input should be entered immediately after you enter [3][K][+][G] without delay. For the 4th evade lesson, the evade animation should be canceled (you will barely see the movement to background or foreground). Most of it is just getting your hands and fingers used to entering the commands, I think.

8. MoonDog

MoonDog New Member

Thank you Akai, you are right. I was finally able to cancel the Tadan Kubigeri with a rapid guard. I will work on the evade cancel next.

9. I.M. Amazon

I.M. Amazon Member

PSN:
    TDR_Zunga
    Joined a couple of days ago. I've been fascinated by VF since I was around ten, so it took me long enough to finally get around to trying VF5FS. My experience in 3D fighters is limited, so this seemed like the best place to look into brushing up my skills (and maybe lower the average age of Jeffry players a tad).

Pai~Chun, Kamais_Ookin and BLACKSTAR like this.
  10. DarkestReaperZX

DarkestReaperZX New Member

i Joined Today I Purchased VF5FS Today and i like it Nice to Meet Everyone I Play it on PS3 So if anyone wants to play i'll be happy to c: ive Played VF4 Evo and VF5 And Im somewhat experienced ( I Play As Sarah ) c:

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  11. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    YES. Another Sarah player :D :D :D :D

12. DarkestReaperZX

DarkestReaperZX New Member

13. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

Hey my name is Kyle I got this game a few months back I was looking for a good fighter to play saw this baby on sale for $3.49 on XBL marketplace JACKPOT! I mess around with a couple of characters but shun is my main. Still relatively nooby I enjoy a good match that gets the heartrate going! Have been known to pull a rabbit out of the hat so don't underestimate me, Lightwing mentioned the website to me and it seems legit. The community on xbox is so small looking for new people.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  14. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

Oh and GT is Raindrop666 I recognize a few names on here

15. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    hey man, glad you got on the VF train! If you're looking for matches, hit up the shoutbox or the xbl thread.

you can also hit me up, I'm playing alot more now, and I'm on both systems

16. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Nooice. I'll drop you a friend request. Online for this can seem to be a wasteland if you don't have people on your friends list who play VF, since you can only join rooms between matches.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  17. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

Yeah go ahead and shoot me a friend req.

18. Bushin_Cat

Bushin_Cat New Member

Glad to be here... or anywhere for that matter *haha...ah* Bad joke aside, I glad to finally join this great community of classy people who enjoy my favorite fighter (Virtua Fighter) from my favorite developer (SEGA)

I'm not a strong player, as i've only tried to main Lau since V2 days. Now for Showdown, i'll relearn Lau but add Eileen! :) Her speed and mix-ups fascinate me. Looking for training partners (friends, really) then ill be ready for the meetups. Happy Holidays, all.

Woodblock and BLACKSTAR like this.
  19. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

Hello, I've been lurking for quite a time in this site.
    Long time VF player, I played vanilla VF5 for very long as well.
    I'm a right now a casual VF5FS player and I used to play online sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    BLACKSTAR likes this.
  20. og23

og23 Well-Known Member

Hello, I've lurked here for a bit, and I've had an account for a while, but I never really got the chance to post. I'm new to VF, with FS being the first VF game I'm really trying to learn (I had vanilla vf5 but I really didn't like the game) I used to be mainly a Tekken, Street Fighter and melty blood player, but I didn't like the direction Tekken and Street Fighter 4 were going in, and melty blood is kinda sorta REALLY poverty, so I dropped them for this. VF has quickly become my favorite fighter out there right now, and I really want to learn it

MadeManG74 likes this.