1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Gen consoles. What console looks promising?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wiztick, May 21, 2013.

1. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

CheekyChi and Darthminion like this.
  2. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi

This comment is not flawed! ;)

You know what? That video could've reduced this thread by about 3 pages of arguments based on incorrect assumptions! So you can borrow a friend's game.... But my point still stands! Support by buying new! :D

3. Darthminion

Darthminion Well-Known Member

when some of the dust clears the and the games look good the xboxone will look the more appealing as an all round entertainment system.

4. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

No one here is confused. Everyone knows you could lend the disc out, but you have to "A" sign in with your profile on that system or "B" they have to buy a key. People are acting like stores like Gamestop or any seller is ripping the industry off. Gamestop gives the customer money or credit that is most likely use to buy new games. I'll repeat, GS gave money to the customer to sell at a profit, like any business. And all of this accusations to the media or customers is not fabricated or mis-informed. Phil Harrison spilled the beans, end of story. And MS being very vague about it to CNN didn't help when CNN ask them directly. Or when one of their employees also mentioned it on twitter months ago(And later got fired for saying unprofessional comments)

I'm looking forward to E3 and see what their full plan is, because right now, gamers are not happy. And this doesn't only apply to MS, SONY is at watch as well.

MarlyJay and daRockReaper like this.
  5. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    I think you should read carefully before you respond because I'm not sure you're reading my post but rather just the words.

You do realise the game you quoted is more than ten years old (or is it closer to 20?)? That's not a very good example of a game going out of print quickly. If a game is "unpopular", I take it that you mean not selling well, then there's a very high chance they will be on the shelves of stores or on their websites at a much lower price? I think you need to use common sense here, obviously the older the game, the more difficult it becomes to find. But look at Resident Evil 6, that was unpopular, you can still buy that brand new. I've also found BlazBlue Continuum Shift and Bulletstorm just by visiting game and zavvi web store. Something that stops going to print doesn't mean it'll suddenly disappear from the stores.

Cars and watches can be bought used, yes but the value of them come from the item itself. The mechanical function as opposed to the intellectual property. The efficiency of mechanical items do drop over time, so the advantage of buying a car new is that you're almost guaranteed all the parts to be working perfectly together. The condition of a used car will depend on it's age and how well looked after it was. Whereas a program runs the same every time you play it. Besides, I was just pointing out they are luxury items which aren't needed for everyday survival as I was replying to the argument "some people can't afford to buy games".

I don't think it's stupid to want something you cannot afford. To buy something you can't afford is stupid. Like I said, if you can't afford to buy games, then buying it new or used is the least of your problems.

Budgeting is planning how much to spend... There are sales forecasts and actual sales too. All these numbers are related but I can't see why you're singling out budgeting as the main reason that made them fail. They basically say "we will develop X and we estimate it will cost this much to make". Unless they went grossly over budget I don't see how this would be the main reason for the failure of a product. So I don't think you mean budget. Failure or success of a game depends on sales?

Steam and Amazon aren't platforms... I don't know what GMG/GOG is. These are not the one's developing/publishing and shipping games to stores because they are the stores. They are the same thing as HMV and Game for all I know. But they don't have the overhead of having physical stores and employing staff to work at stores. They're mainly online companies. So... are you saying the method of distribution is what is defining the success of the platform?

That's not your only option as explained earlier.

I don't see where the flaw lies - would you mind elaborating where you find it appalling? You say something, then don't bother to explain - just weak statements with nothing to back it up. I'm not sure you understand what a licence/license is...? (I know I'm confused between the words but know what it is)o_O A licence doesn't give you a car nor keys to a car. So going by my "flawed" example, it would be (how you put it):

Lends me disc (licence), put it on my system *or his to be more exact* and play on my profile(driving).

Me passing my driving test and obtaining my licence doesn't mean I can pass this licence onto a friend so to license him to drive. If he hasn't passed his test, being in possession of that licence doesn't mean he has the right to drive. This is because I have been licensed by the governing body that I can now drive cars, not my friend. But you're quite right, people do ignore laws and drive without a licence because they're in possession of a car.

6. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi

The only thing I see here is that you're favouring it because it benefits you. Companies are just trying to get some benefit from it as well. Why aren't they allowed to do that?

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    They are. But we're allowed to disagree with their policies, say we think they're shit and ultimately not buy it.

Edit: And there is a difference between licenses granted (like Alcohol, Gun and Driving licenses), and ones purchased to use software. One being one can legally be sold on and one can't. On selling publishers give up the right to exclusive distribution.

8. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

It comes down to making as much money as possible, I understand that. But the rules they're trying to engaged I disagreed with, and I'll stand up for my consumer rights. Just like this folks here from the biggest gaming forum in the world.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568033 Even major outlets and developers have mentioned this campaign. June 10th is D-Day.

9. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
  10. Darthminion

Darthminion Well-Known Member

all this sounds cool cant wait for my xboxone better start saving :eek:

11. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

A lot of gamer right now are in, what I like to call the Monday morning affect, gamers are mad and they'll get over it but everyone has their own reasons for either choosing to purchase a next generation console or not I want to see what E3 Microsoft has in store and Sony. Im not going to lie I will eventually buy the xbox one just not right away.

12. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
  13. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    "Left to the publishers" doesn't mean it won't happen. Also if Sony says no to it and EA and Activision decide to make their stuff exclusive to the XB one then that would be really bad for Sony.

Think i'll be sticking with my PS3 and 360 for quite a while. I'll probably just use the time to upgrade my PC some. Given the similarities in infrastructure less and less games will be released on console and not PC.

Rodnutz likes this.
  14. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    DigitlSamurai likes this.
  15. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    To be honest, Sony clarified this just after the PS4 press release. All the uncertainty came from people still believing old, debunked rumors, not doing their research and the assumption that if Microsoft is doing something, then Sony must be doing it too. Normally I'd agree with that logic, but Sony had already gone on record saying otherwise.

16. Berzerk

Berzerk Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BERZERK_DC
    XBL:
    Gunstar Red
    "Left to publishers" is not a "we do not have DRM" policy. The policies of Sony and Microsoft are identical.

17. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Exactly. It's just that the implementation may be different. Sony washing their hands of it but the practical requirement being the same doesn't really help anyone.

18. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns

Oh no they ain't. Microsoft is saying there WILL be DRM on EVERY single Xbone used game by decree from Microsoft. Sony is saying there MAY be DRM on SOME used games and it's not up to them to decide which.

Of course Sony is a big publisher themselves so we will see where they stand when they release their games. I am willing to bet there will be no used DRM on them.

19. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    don't be so confident with that just yet. If the publishers get a slice of that cake they may very well enforce it to the games they release....

20. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Publishers enforcing the policy is preferable over the console makers enforcing it. I can easily avoid Ubisoft and EA and not miss much. But to have to give up an entire library of games because Sony and MS wanted to please the publishers over the gamers is not something I look forward to.

Plus, publishers are sometimes ok at listening to fans of their games. If they get wind of the fact that a significant number of future games may suffer in sales because the consumer feels like they are being unfairly targeted, then they may reconsider...

Atleast that's what I'm hoping...

ShinobiFist likes this.