1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest VF (Pacific NW, North America)

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, May 8, 2007.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Best Bout Beatdown is tomorrow!

I'm really excited and my chances of making it to this one aren't bad! Though I'll be rusty as hell.

Sorry for the lack of updates, been crazy busy with work this week!

Here's the link to Best Bout Beatdown 16!

http://virtuafighter.com/events/best-bout-beatdown-16.155/

2. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    I'll be there.

3. Chanchai

We have an excellent roster confirmed for Virtua Fighter today!

Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown tournament will be streamed following Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

At the very least, the Top 4 will be shown, but since we are playing 3 out of 5 for much of the tourney, there's a chance more matches will be shown too. Depends on how fast or slow AE goes.

Should be an exciting day for Portland VF! There's also a chance that a few of the Seattle VF players will make it down for this one.

4. ajs_

ajs_ Well-Known Member

Was glad to see a good turnout for VF on Saturday, but we were still missing some heads that normally play. So to help encourage more people to play, I'm going to work on making it out to BB more often now that I'm starting to get some free time. Tuesdays are always no problem but for Fridays what time are people showing up? I tend to make it out there late (11ish) and usually there's only 3-4 people left playing. Is everyone just not showing up on Fridays or am I just catching bad days at bad times?

Let me know!

nou, R_Panda and Chanchai like this.
  5. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    3-4 people is the good days, lol.

6. Chanchai

Long overdue congratulations to AJS for winning Best Bout Beatdown 16!

Honestly, I felt that the Grand Finals match between AJS and Yangsing was a wonderful representation of Portland VF! I was pretty miserable after my matches with AJS and Yangsing, to be honest, but watching the grand finals (as a commentator at that) really cheered me up because these guys brought it and the matches were very entertaining!

I'm proud of you guys! And I hope I can bring it to you guys the next time we all fight in the same tournament (I won't be around in November, but I plan to be there in December)!

1. AJS
    2. Yangsing
    3. Chanchai
    4. R. Panda
    5. Mackinzie_
    5. Zonymash
    7. Hellsap
    7. Quickdraw
    9. Jaye

Other notes:

AJS & Yangsing simply get high praise from me for their matches at the tournament. You guys played the best VF and represented Portland VF best on Saturday! I cannot critique either of your games.

R_Panda - I think you and I were both fighting a lot of nerves and our own minds in this tournament. That said, I really enjoyed your match with Yangsing, both AJS and I agree that your punishment (in and out of the tournament) is scary as hell. That said, going to remind you what we talked about the session after EOS: Sometimes a simple defense is really all you need--trying to hit people for throwing shouldn't be your default way of dealing with the throws, throw escape guard is really good and I personally think your game is stronger when you use even that more. Yangsing especially took advantage of two things in your game as the match went on. The clearest example was when he repeatedly elbowed you like 3 times in a row because you tried to attack what seemed like you thought was going to be a throw, he punished your abare. Also, because you don't seem (I could be wrong) to use the throw-escape guard much, you're not guessing that much with your throw escapes at least in that matchup, you kept trying to escape back when the most dangerous throw from Kage is forward. Now I imagine you felt Simon would not go for the forward throw but go for back because everyone escapes the forward throw, but he saw that you were not escaping forward much--you need to adjust to your opponent's throw pattern and if you're going to lean on only one option, then cut off the most damaging one, but I think Yangsing is readable on throws. All this aside, your punishment and damage maximization is really good in VF in Portland, your flow does improve when you open yourself to reading your opponent (don't worry, I know that I was reading people less than you, Yangsing, or AJS on Saturday), and your match with Yangsing was very fun and had a lot of great stuff!

Mackinzie - I didn't watch your games because they were often happening while I was playing or busy with something. That said, always love your Lau and I am actually practicing him at home too ^_^ He's so much fun!

Zonymash - I also didn't see your matches but I always love the positive and fun energy you bring to events. I also enjoy watching your Jeffry when I get the chance (sadly not this time). Cheers and looking forward to more fights!

Hellsap - Always awesome to see you here, Mark. We need to do a session with your Taka! It's better than you think, but it can still be stronger, so let's work on that!

Quickdraw - Thanks for playing in the tournament, Andi! We need to do that Jean training. Fortunately, you have myself, Yangsing, and now AJS who have spent decent time with Jean!

Jaye - Dude, regardless of your placement, you play good VF now! That you don't have a system (same as Mackinzie) really speaks to how impressed I am with how you are playing VF now! Mackinzie told me he couldn't even out-VF you, he had to use shenanigans because you've become solid! Keep it up, I like your mixups, I like your flow. At this point, it's learning the character in depth. Keep it up!

As for me... umm... pretty miserable with my play against AJS and Yangsing but they earned their victories and I needed to actually fight my opponent, I was fighting myself. I was trying to play tricks, I was not actually guessing or forcing guesses, I was also listening to conversations around me. I deserved to get beat down pretty good by them and I need to pick myself up and improve. (I also need to catch up on my other VF duties like that EOS report :p).

(The EOS report is still being worked on but who knows when it'll be out but it'll be out when it's out lol. That said, I hit a work milestone at the end of last week which has opened up my schedule.)

Cheers!

BTW, the VF Top 4 matches streamed starts at around 1:23:00

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/b/334683710

Bracket: http://khaosgaming.challonge.com/tb16vf5fs

Also, check out http://www.khaosgaming.com/

7. Chanchai

I will also be trying hard to go on Tuesday night, excited to see you guys there!

8. nou

nou Well-Known Member

AJS. Good shit dude!

Gonna have to watch these on YT!

Chanchai likes this.
  9. Chanchai

VF is planned to be on the Stream tonight. Probably starting sometime around 8 or 9pm. We will post updates on twitter, vfdc, and Facebook.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/

We will also be practicing commentary!

(and for those who don't want to be on stream there will be a non stream VF setup too)

10. Chanchai

Had fun playing tonight! Really fun matches with:

AJS (his Jacky was so terrifying at the end of the session!)

Shinryu Returns (keep it up, your game is improving, AJS told me he felt you overused Sarah's FL KK2K string I think it was)

Slash (damage seemed better, I think if your defense and counter offense increases, you will be way stronger than you are now)

OMNE (I know you haven't played since EOS, but fun stuff man--especially against your Vanessa tonight, but I like that you're using Goh too)

Too bad I didn't get matches with Dennis (all good, looks like you had a great time with TTT2!) or Thomas (but it was so good to see you again man!).

Thanks everyone for everything tonight! Big thanks to Slash for streaming us and helping us out with stuff. We'll try to have more coordination prepared for you in the future and maybe block something with a set schedule next time.

11. Chanchai

Pro Tip: X-Factor Friday in Portland is going to be awesome tonight, already started but should get really nice closer to midnight. http://www.twitch.tv/bestbout/

12. Chanchai

13. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Woo, great matches guys. GGs Chanchai, you were really scraping everyone tonight. Definitely need to pay closer attention to exactly what Lion is doing when I'm getting up. GGs Fatbear, the power and damage in our matches is getting even higher, really intense stuff! Wish I had played at least a little with Mackinzie, but no matter. Maybe Sunday.

And of course good games to AJS, with whom I had a long set at the end there, and just wanted to say those matches were really really fun. Your throw yomi, at least in the beginning, was great, and you broke the catch throw even more often. Tried out some new moves and techniques (I successfully used sway back from very close for the first time lol!), and I felt like I really got a handle on using Brad's delay game with throws thrown in to break through my opponent's guard tonight. I mean, that's his basic default gameplan, and it's hard to explain in words still, but I think you may have noticed something there. Maybe more "custom blockstrings," you know? I'll have to rewatch our matches and see just what it was that I was feeling. Very productive night in any case, thank you for playing.

4P+K is really good in some match ups...

Chanchai likes this.
  14. Chanchai

Regarding Throwdown Tuesday this week...

R_Panda likes this.
  15. Chanchai

Update: If I make it to Best Bout on Tuesday, it looks like it'll be around 10:30pm, maybe 11pm.

16. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    you guys streaming? i hate that you guys are WC :(

Chanchai likes this.
  17. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    You don't want to stay up and watch NWVF between midnight and 4am?

18. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    due to my meds i cant, i go to bed at like 7pm eastern(not by choice) sometimes later but thats usually because i have something i have to do

19. ajs_

ajs_ Well-Known Member

I'll do what I can to not only make it there but see if we can get a stream up by 7pm PST. You won't be able to watch it live but I'll try and get as much VF footage there as I can for you. It's not the same as live, but sometimes Slash5150 restreams our events at a later date as well if chatting is a big part of the experience for you. I'll talk to him about restreaming Tuesday night VF at a better time during the day so EC people can watch it.

Chanchai likes this.
  20. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    i dont want you guys to go out of your way for me lol. i do like to chat during the streams though

Chanchai likes this.