1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Nurturing a young akira

Discussion in 'Akira' started by geR, Jun 13, 2005.

1. geR

geR Member

Hi guys, just started with FT, i did used to play vf2,3 but kinda sucked, that time i wasnt so enthu abt it though. I tried doing [3][3][6]+[P] but i always missed the next [P] & the knee too /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif i really have no idea when to release the [G] in 1 frame -_- and i recently watch a video, he did a DE follow up with a Double Palm, when should i execute the double palm, he did it smoothly, and if im doing [1][1][4][6]+[P] issit faster ? need help anyone, thanks ! oh ya issit wise to start the match with a DE or a SDE.

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

the timing on single palm - de is pretty hard, keep working on it.

knee is difficult, you need to practically slip your finger (1 frame is 1 60th of a second)

yes your doublepalm motion is correct

no it's not wise to start off a match with DE or SDE

3. geR

geR Member

ah..thanks ! i needed to comfirm >_<

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:
    no it's not wise to start off a match with DE or SDE

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain your logic behind this.

5. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

well, if your goal is to go for a quick attack to break whatever your opponent does to start off the match, then you're much better off going for his body check. but, either way, i still much prefer going for a simple back dash at the beginning of every fight.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I don't think you should have Akira in your avatar.

7. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Bodycheck??? Wow. Didn't see that one coming.

Edit: Even more funny coming from Vanity who has basicly made it a sport bashing those that are new to the site / need help etc.

/KiwE

8. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

then you're much better off going for his body check. but, either way,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a quick move to do but is VERY high risk as a starter. Doing DE or even SDE instead of DBC is much better off. 46 p+k+g is an alternative way to use a risky move as an opener. It's not always recommended but it can avoid most high attacks and some mid attacks making it a bit more useful than the DBC as an opener.

9. geR

geR Member

ah alright ice-9, gimme awhile i'll change it in awhile, a bodycheck huh, lol backdash huh mm....oh ya, is [P][K]+[G] cancel then SPoD possible ?? i tried doing but im not sure if it connects, sometimes the computer doesnt block >_<

10. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Are you talking about pkg(g to cancel k) and then go for a spod or p then k+g, try to cancel k+g then to try a spod??

If you are talking about the former then I think it would be possible to do a spod. But I reccomend to do a k g(to cancel k) then try a spod.

11. geR

geR Member

mmm yea the former 1, thanks !!

12. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I like to start the match with DE and SDE sometimes, and it's good practice for combos after those 2 moves, because you have time to think ahead a little, for example:

"I'm gonna try DE, if I get counter hit after Ready, Go!, I can try AS3 (d+K+G, f+K, b,f+P)" etc.

Just be carefull for people who like to backdash or Dodge at the start. If they backdash, I like Middle Kick, then dash forward if it hits & pressure. If they dodge, you can just Dash & Throw. If they Dodge your DE or SDE, you can try inputting throw escapes etc.

these are really basic ideas. If you start the match with an offensive move, right off the bat, you're controling the fight as the oppt tries to guess what the right defense is. I prefer to try to offend at the beginning of the round, get the momentum going /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif, but that's just me.

Bryan

13. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I'm saying in general to start off matches offensively like that, especially with something as low reward as DE. When I was a scrub, I always started matches off with bodycheck, but again, it really is too risky to do anything but backdash at the start of any round.

I would also agree that anyone who starts off a match with a bodycheck is a "noob" or whatever, but I think it's still better than a DE or SDE.

Personally, I don't recall the last time I saw anyone start off any round with an offensive technique.

14. geR

geR Member

uh dang, i played with my brother a shundi player and yes he starts off with a back dash, im uber stunned by shundi, i tend to panic whenever i play with him, any good tips against shun di

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

No no I wasn't refering to you, but to vanity for the bad advice. Bodycheck to start the round?? Just copy Danny's Akira!

16. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    If you backdash at the start of every round you will get caught eventually. DE and SDE are both much better than the bodycheck since they're only slightly slower and infinitely safer. Also the reward for bodycheck is way too unreliable for it to be really useful, and I can't see it being very strong from round starting range anyway.

Try not to give such awful advice to new players.

17. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    A friend of mine once called Shun a "Matador Type", I think this is a really good way to think about Shun. Imagine your Akira is a heavy Bull, with Shun being the bull fighter, pulling away his little red cape as you dash past him in a forward motion.

The Shun player WANTS you to panic, that's the idea. If he can bait or frustrate you into attacking predictably (which isn't hard with Akira, most of his attacks are single hit, linear mids), Shun has many tools for punishing obvious attacks. In addition, many of Shun's attacks allow him to evade and attack at the same time to a degree (his low kick, 1+P, his Dodging punches, his Sabaki etc).

The best advice I can give for fighting Shun is to take your time, just relax and try to stay close, but don't rush your offense. Remember Akira has to choose his move at the right time, find your opening and take it. Don't let him aggrivate you.

Also, remember to break P+G a lot, and don't use low P too much, as he can eat it with 8+K+G (8+K). If you guard this kick, use 46+P, slow low P, Double Palm for guaranteed damage.

hope this helps

Bryan

18. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

i understand that de and sde are infinintely safer, but my advice was clear in the post that you shoudl be going for a backdash.

if you're landing de's and sde's against your opponents every round at the start of the match, you're probably better off going for a bodycheck.

19. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    By bodycheck you DO mean [4][6][6][P]+[K] right?

If so, then I have to disagree. It's range isn't so great, it only does good damage up close and it gets you OWNED if it doesn't hit. Why on earth do you think this is a good round starter? (or better than DE/SDE at least.)

20. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

i don't think it's a good round starter, but when i was a scrub i know i used that a lot, and i know it worked.

really, backdash is only good round starter as far as i'm concerned for vs play.