1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Evade Cancels and You.

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Drift, Nov 18, 2012.

By Drift on Nov 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM
  1. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

An effective defensive technique at certain disadvantages is the Evade-Cancel; 866G / 833G and their variants. However, it is possible to use evade-cancels offensively as well. Let's call the ability "OEC" for "offensive evade-cancel". I know many VFDC'ers already use it (or at least the weak form of it), but the technique doesn't seem to be explained in any detail yet, so here goes.

ADVISORY: The full OEC technique is very high-level and mechanically demanding. If you cannot yet box-step, this tech is out of your reach. However, if you never bothered to learn to step due to the reduced efficacy of movement in VF5:FS then I hope to change your mind. Also, hit-checking is absolutely required. I'll give a drill to train both of these things in conjunction with this tactic further below.

First, I'll describe when and how the technique works before getting to the inputs. When your opponent is at disadvantage, their best options are either defensive option-selects (fuzzy, ECD, yutori, etc) or an abare attack. Each option has counters (guard breaks, fast mid full-circulars, adapting your throws, and only throwing when guaranteed, for example), but they tend to lose if your opponent uses a different defensive tech and not every character has those options. Thus, higher-level matches often have a stuttered rhythm where each player either attempts to trick the other into thinking it's safe to attack or deliberately baits a specific response. This technique accomplishes both of those goals while remaining very safe. It beats the primary abare attacks (2P or launcher) while also giving defensive-minded opponents just enough rope to hang themselves.

The technique boils down to purposefully giving away your advantage by dashing forward and then evade-cancelling into an attack. The notation would be 668[Dash-Attack]. Examples would be 66866P (Jean or Akira) or 66833P (Kage.) Any quick dash attack may be used, but dash attacks are not the only useful ones (more on that later.) When performed correctly, your character will perform a very short dash which will give up your advantage, evade and immediately cancel into their attack. If your opponent abares, you will evade it. If they fuzzy, evade-cancel-guard or just lazy-TE, they may stick an attack out and get counter-hit. At worst, your opponent will evade (failed or cancelled) and guard your attack leaving you better off than attacking immediately and being evaded.

Note: The initial dash is important. I've seen several players (good ones, too) simply use a basic evade-cancel attack (like 866P) to try and accomplish the same thing. This version of OEC is susceptible to abare attacks, particularly at minor advantages. Since you're at advantage, you will always fail your evade and the fastest evade-cancelled attack isn't fast enough to stuff most launchers [10 frames for the evade + 1 for the dash-cancel + the attack's execution - your advantage.]

As I mentioned, dash attacks are not the only useful options. Just like is possible with evade-cancel throw escapes, the game will accept any two identical dash inputs as the evade-cancel. This allows you to change the inputs to nearly anything: 668,6P,6 for elbows; 668,3K,3 for sidekicks; 668,4P,4K for Kage's high elbow-K string; etc. There is a quirk that allows things such as 668,3P,3 to count as Kage's 15f counter-hit launcher (33P) instead of his 3PP string starter (very useful compared to 66833P which will sometimes give the 3P on successful evade.) Experiment to find your character's best options.

Once again, this tactic is very high-level and difficult to execute. To get your first handle on it, here are two drills:
    In Dojo, set the CPU to guard and counter-attack with a jab. Then attack with a move that is + on block (Preferably not regular jab; Use an attack with some guard-stun and/or slower start-up to begin.) After the CPU guards, input the dash and then the evade (don't worry about cancelling right away.) You should see your character dash forward slightly and then evade the CPU's attack. If you are too fast entering the dash command, you will get hit during a failed evaded. If you are sloppy or slow with the evade input, you will be hit during a dash.

Once comfortable with the initial dash and evade, set the CPU to guard or normal hit. Attack with the same move. If the CPU gets hit, respond accordingly. If the computer guards it, input 66866P (or an attack of your choosing.) It is quite difficult to do this. Practice is key; BOTH sides!

Then you want to learn the timing for entering the dash and evade in different advantages. It is possible to cancel the dash quite late in its animation which is required when at major advantage to give it all back before the evade.

Finally, how do you beat this technique? Well, oddly enough, you beat it by playing like a scrub. Since your opponent is giving back all of their advantage and then evading, anything that would normally beat a raw evade wins here. So, throws, mid full-circulars, delayed launchers, etc. This means that you would have to throw from disadvantage! Who does that?! It is actually possible to option-select a throw escape into this as well: 668,6P,6P+G; 668,4K,4P+G; etc.

Cnul, BeastEG, Trykt and 21 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Drift, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Lucky_GT
      Lucky_GT
      Good stuff! I know Rodnutz likes to use this tech a lot : ).

If you want to see someone using it in a match, Koedo uses it in his matches at the end here:
      Chanchai likes this.
    2. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz
      Fixed it for you :p

It is a great tech, but only useful against a specific type of play style. Against opponent who don't hesitate or do random shit it definitely does not work as mentioned in Drift's last paragraph.

However, when it's working it's so much fun.
      kingo and Tricky like this.
    3. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      So Why am i giving up My advantage again? This is not Vanilla. This game encourages playing like a scrub.
      Rodnutz likes this.
    4. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz
      You have 2 options:

1) SPAM or be SPAMMED.

or

2) Be LAMER than the LAME.

Choose wisely!
    5. Lucky_GT
      Lucky_GT
      I don't understand these last 2 posts at all.

EDIT: I think you meant in your first post it doesn't work against people who DO hesitate and are random. : )
      Rodnutz, Maxou and Tricky like this.
    6. nou
      nou
      Good stuff! I started buffering CD after OM recently trying to find a reason other to use OM Other than Oki and it's a good way to close distance with a buffered CD to see what my opponent does. So far it's pretty good since most people still look at OM as the "shitty evade" so they attack, thinking they will hit, and no dice for them.
    7. Tricky
      Tricky
      I've been trying to use this the past couple of days and I get bopped so many times cuz I mess up the inputs or do something too fast. Practice practice practice.
    8. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz

Yeah that's what I meant. And my other post was me just being an ass for the sake of being an ass lol

Alright I'll stop trolling before I derail this thread because it's good information.
    9. Drift
      Drift
      Great example of the technique at 57:45 in the video GT posted (when Jean lands PK.)
    10. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      and again... what are you giving up your advantage for? this tech(nique) is nothing new... Its just passive nature of Japanese people.. Lau did'nt even fuzzy after getting hit with it.. And you some of you wonder why you get hit with Random launchers and other shit... Its almost as if he was waiting for the full circular roundhouse after PK but for what.. He had the advantage SMH!!! Sometimes is better to be lucky than good.
    11. Drift
      Drift
      SDS, I fail to see how you can fail to see the point of this tech. Just because the Lau didn't do anything in that instance doesn't mean he couldn't have. (I picked that moment specifically because the Lau didn't respond so it is easy to see the full dash-evade-[crouch]-dash-attack nature of the tech.)

If the Lau had "random launcher"d Jean would have evaded it. If the Lau had evaded, Jean hasn't stuck an attack out yet, so the evade would have failed and Jean could keep pressure. If the Lau had simply fuzzied (which the Jean surely knew was a reasonable response after PK), the extra stutter in timing could have caused the Lau to hit a button after his fuzzy and get counter-hit. On the other hand, if the Jean had used his +4 to immediately attack or throw, the Lau could have evaded/escaped/ducked it and punished Jean instead. Thus, by using OEC the Jean managed to keep Lau on the defensive. I mentioned all this in the original post.
    12. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      Still Bottom line is..... you take your chances on the offensive if you are at Adv.. If he happens to evade he made the correct guess oh well.. This always been the case of VF. now if he happen to go for the elbow after PK and Lau Evades he still pretty much safe. I see no real use for this tech unless your trying to bait something from a person on Dis... which would still seem stupid...I mean seriously Rod even does this shit for no reason only to get punished and second guess himself on why he did'nt just stay on the offensive.. People do it because they are passive and don't want to take the chance of getting subaki/Reversed/Stuffed and having the momentum turning on them for being offensive minded all the time bottom line. what Koedo did was try to play it far more safe cause Lau was damaging his ass far worst that what most other characters could.. in the End he still lost.
    13. Tricky
      Tricky
      Rodney trying to hide the secret weakness of his overused tech. Dat Forum lvl yomi son, GT read that. Too funny.

Eileen's P+K is a good attack to use out of this since it's still pretty fast and it's easy mode in terms of dealing with the buffer window. 3P is probably the preferred option but you'll have to use 663 to get it and if you mess you're getting two moves that you really don't want to have coming out randomly.
    14. Lucky_GT
      Lucky_GT
      "You take you chances when you are at advantage". Why? Why take unnecessary risks and lose when you don't have to? I don't understand why you're talking about attacking into sabaki's and reversals when you don't have to. You're listing all these reasons why this can be a good tactic while simultaneously saying it's bad.

This is a safe tactic against players who generally don't hesitate. What's wrong with safe play?

Players far better than you and I use this and feel it's a valid technique. I feel it's valid and I also use it.
      JacobEvo and pana like this.
    15. Tricky
      Tricky
      I just had to quote this part for emphasis. This here is critical and is actually great tech to know outside of just this advanced technique.

As I mentioned, dash attacks are not the only useful options. Just like is possible with evade-cancel throw escapes, the game will accept any two identical dash inputs as the evade-cancel. This allows you to change the inputs to nearly anything: 668,6P,6 for elbows; 668,3K,3 for sidekicks; 668,4P,4K for Kage's high elbow-K string; etc. There is a quirk that allows things such as 668,3P,3 to count as Kage's 15f counter-hit launcher (33P) instead of his 3PP string starter (very useful compared to 66833P which will sometimes give the 3P on successful evade.) Experiment to find your character's best options.
    16. G0d3L
      G0d3L
      Great post Drift.
      In VF it's so important to break your opponent's flow or use it against them.
      Everyone is different in terms of the average time spent guarding when at disadvantage before start attacking again.
      The standard frame trap PG, 6P is good against spammers but with educated players it doesn't work that much.
      In these case it's better to mix it up and use a wider frame trap to test your opponent's time limit before they start striking back. Obviously these frame traps are not safe as PG, 6P and lose to some other stuffs, depending on your frame trap's gap (infact you have to find the "right" gap), but they'll net you some good CH and most important they'll ruin your opponent's timing/flow resulting most of the time in them making poor choices.
      If the opponent tends to abare immediatly or to stay on block longer this tech cames in handy being pretty safe against those options.
      You are giving back your advantage to try taking away their flowchart.
      Btw beside wall/side situations there's a ton of setups where you are at disadvantage but due to a proper spacing and well chosen moves you get some nasty CH (i.e. EVO2K12 Kamaage vs Shironuko).
      Just a thought. Not trying to discover hot water.
    17. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      Because if it happens it happens.. Trying to use advanced Tech here in the U.S. on 97% of these motherfuckers in U.S. Is useless since they won't even know whats being applied. Im looking that the way he use it and although it may seem pretty as fuck Movement-wise all it really is a safer delay against a Fuzzy just incase your opponent decides to attack at dis... You guys have your opinion and ill have mine. When it ever become a time i need to use then so be it.. Cool technique but Meh....
    18. Lucky_GT
      Lucky_GT
      Someone doesn't have to understand a technique for it to work. You guys complain about not being able to understand Jean, but that hasn't stopped me from doing well with him.

If you don't learn techniques to beat the 3%, you'll always be a part of the 97%. Why only practice to beat people who aren't that strong at the game? They'll beat themselves!
      JacobEvo, phanatik, adamYUKI and 7 others like this.
    19. Dennis0201
      Dennis0201
      This tech is a two edge weapon, and you can apply this to play very safe.
      SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.