1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Open and Closed Stances

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Ladon, May 30, 2006.

1. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Hi, I'm wondering what methods you guys use to tell if you're in open or closed stance. It's one of the aspects of my game that's weakest, I'd appreciate any help, advice, or stories you've got to share, thanks! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

After you float someone, their leg/stance position is still visible, only they are sideways. So most people will do a luncher, then check stance after the float. Usually combos of both stances will start off with a universal move, or the launcher is 2 hits itself, and you can use that time to check stance. The only real exception to this is Lau's 46p, but even then you can do 2p -> check stance -> WRk/6k+g or 2_3pp+k.

As for seeing stance, myself and everyone I know just got it one day. Like I was always aware of stance, but I had to actually concentrate on foot position beforehand to do a stance combo. Then one day it clicked and I could acutomatically see stance after a launch.

3. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    thanks for that, I understand exactly what you mean /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll keep practicing it!

4. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Also you can check the leg position in the air. If a person's front leg is higher than the other than they are in open stance. If the rear leg is higher, then closed stance. You can use that to compare your stance.

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jerky said:
    If a person's front leg is higher than the other than they are in open stance. If the rear leg is higher, then closed stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounded like voodoo magic at first. I thought for a moment you didn't have to compare your own foot position with that of the floater.

6. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jerky said:

Also you can check the leg position in the air. If a person's front leg is higher than the other than they are in open stance. If the rear leg is higher, then closed stance. You can use that to compare your stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, I had no idea about this! I shall definitely practice that. It should make floats a lot easier to handle /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks a lot for your help!

7. INCIDENT

INCIDENT Well-Known Member

This is great stuff. I was thinking about this a few days back. This is going to help out alot.

8. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    what about after crumples and flops? I've been able to get the hang of stance better regarding float, and I really appreciate it. I'm prepared if the answer is "you just need to be aware of stance beforehand," but I still feel I should ask. thanks! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

AFAIK head and stomach crumples don't require you to check stance. With most characters checking stance on flops is necessary (ie the non stance combo is a good deal less damage &/or doesn't give you the pressure you could get) whereas with some (Akira's 46p for instance) there's no really compelling reason to watch stance.

Keeping an eye on your body position vis a vis your opponent is important for all sorts of non combo related reasons though. Half circular moves in this game tend to be less risky (quicker, more evasive, faster recovery) or have better damage potential (I'm thinking specifically of jeff's 46p vs his 64p) than full circular ones...if you position yourself so that your nasty half circles hit your opponent's preferred dodging side (if they have a preferred dodging side) you stand a good chance of either knocking them out of their evade from disadvantage or beating their attack from disadvantage.

It's good also to learn which attacks/movements of yours switch your stance or change the relative foot positions of you and your opponent...easiest place to start is with a downed opponent as you can general the ring or force them to reset their thinking about your own options.

Once you have all that in mind, watching stance for a combo is cake & you'll eventually get to the point where you're completing the appropriate stance combo saying to your buddy "what the fuck, you just changed stances as I hit you".

10. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    s_aki said:

AFAIK head and stomach crumples don't require you to check stance. With most characters checking stance on flops is necessary (ie the non stance combo is a good deal less damage &/or doesn't give you the pressure you could get) whereas with some (Akira's 46p for instance) there's no really compelling reason to watch stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Akira VS Sarah, Pai, Aoi, Lion, Kage, Vanessa.

[4][6]+[P] ->(1 frame delay) [2]+[P] -> [3][3]+[P] ->[3][3][4][6]+[P]

Open Stance. Only Kage and Lion can techroll to aviod the Double palm but not the rest.

I would also like to add that when you techroll up or down, the foot stance changes too. If you are 1p and you techroll [8]+[P][K][G] your left foot will always be infront and [2]+[P][K][G] your right foot will always be infront.

Hope it helps.

11. sanjuroAKIRA

[ QUOTE ]
    danny13 said: Akira super standing palm combo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. You're right. I'm a grown up. The damage is worth the risk, huh? Time to use this combo!

For you Danny, there's also closed stance [4][6][P],dash/1 frame delay [2][P], DLC (or AS3...even [K]+[G],[P]if you want)...the DLC variant does 1pt more damage than [P].[2_][4][6][P] (edit) and works against at least the girls...that's alot of work for 1pt more damage!

12. danny13

Mr Grown Up,

Its [4][6]+[P] -> [2]+[P] -> [3][3]+[P] -> [2_][4][6]+[P]

NOT [4][6]+[P] -> [2]+[P] -> [2_][4][6]+[P]

I guess its risky for you. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. sanjuroAKIRA

I'm sorry. We are talking about two different situations.

1)[4][6][P],[2][P],[3][3][P],[2_][4][6][P] open stance LW

2)[4][6][P],[2][P],DLC closed stance LW

When I posted about "no compelling reason" to watch stance for akira's 46p I was really thinking about the [6][6][K][K] open stance followup and wasn't considering these rather more difficult combos. When I talked about combo 2 above I was comparing it to the staple 46p,p,2_46p.

Anyways, it looks like there might be a good reason afterall, huh...

My last post was kinda offering an agreement. I'll risk combo 1 in the interest of getting the 12 pts(?) more damage but you gotta start using combo 2 for 1pt more damage. This is only fair since you have a super Akira and I'm just fred. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. danny13

[ QUOTE ]
    s_aki said:

1)[4][6][P],[2][P],[3][3][P],[2_][4][6][P] open stance LW

2)[4][6][P],[2][P],DLC closed stance LW

[/ QUOTE ]

Combo 1 is rather easy to do once you get the hang of it. If you define risk as how long you take to recover after the combo, I can say Combo 2 is just as risky as DLC has a long recovery time after execution.

Nope I dun have a super akira, just a average one in Japan. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. JianJian

JianJian Member

I'm Noob... LOL... I don't get what you guys are talking about... What's open and closed stance anyway?

16. ukiraros

ukiraros Active Member

A close stance is when you see a character's frontside and the other character you see it's back (their legs are parallel to each other). An open stance is when you are able to see both their backs or both of them are facing their frontside.

An easy example is in the beginning of a match their in a closed stance position(unless you play Jacky in Final Tuned/VF 5 he can switch his foot position and in Evolution/Final Tuned playing against Brad you will be in an open stance).

17. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

L1.... ....R2 Open stance
    ....R1 L2....

....L1 R2.... Open stance
    R1.... ....L2

L1.... R2.... Closed.
    ....R1 ....L2

....L1 ....R2 Closed
    R1.... L2....

R1 = Right foot player 1
    L1 = Left foot player 1