1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pad Players - What pad are you using?

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by soke, Dec 13, 2012.

1. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Yea i have a pdp xbox360 controller and its trash. Hopefully I can still return it.

2. mhnd87

mhnd87 Member

PSN:
    mhnd87
    For PS3 I use the HORI fighting commander pro 3 controller. It is awesome for VF but not so great for 2D fighters when it comes to doing super moves.

3. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    After my DS1 broke, I've been using the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro, and I must say that I'm pretty dissapointed in it. At the time I had been using it for only about 4 months when I noticed there was something wrong with the D-pad; turns out after opening the thing, one of the rubber contact thingies had ruptured resulting in unresponsiveness. Funny thing, this is the very same problem that happened to my DS1 and a couple of other controllers, it's always the rubber contact on the D-pad that breaks, and while I can understand it in the stock controllers that come with the system, they are generally not that high quality and made for "regular" games that don't really cause a lot of stress for the controller, I however think it's totally unexceptable for a "premier" controller specifically made for fighting games to have a malfunction like this. They should know fighting games put a lot of wear especially on the D-pad on pads so it should be made from higher quality parts that can take the extra stress, but apparently not. Currently I'm still using it, and even though I have somewhat rectified the problem with some quick glue and switching the broken contact to the up direction so that it gets in the way as little as possible and by switching the D-pad input range to the narrow setting, it still works unreliably and causes me to mess up moves with 7, 8 or 9 directions sometimes. One other problem is that at the point where the cord exits the controller's body has some exposed wiring now that the thing that covered it up doesn't stay there anymore and I fear one day the cord might snap and break the whole controller.

Other than that, I guess the controller is okay. I found the mentioned D-pad input range setting kind of pointless although there is a noticable differance in the range setting, I just used it in the normal setting before the problem. The adjustable D-pad and the L and R button switch are pretty useless IMO. Turbo settings work fine, been pretty useful in Final Fantasy 8 for instance. The button layout is good as I can press two buttons at the same time with my thumb and the game reads it as a proper 2 button command, unlike with the regular PlayStation pad button layout, no need for shortcuts there. The shape of the controller is okay too, even though it might look funny at first, but it fits my small hands nicely. One funny thing is that the controller has the four LED ports on the front that would indicate what controller number it is like on the PS3 controller, but the holes are blocked by plastic and there are no electronics for this inside the controller! Lazy. Personally I think the controller could have some more heft in it too, like it should weigh more, but it's not a big problem.

Overall, due to the D-pad being broken it's not worth the 40 euros or so I paid for it, I'd rather use my old DS1 if it wouldn't have the same problem. Sorry for review-ish post, just thought I'd share some thoughts about it.

4. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I use the PS3 pad with an adaptator for xbox

5. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    Same thing happened to mine, except it was the buttons that tore inside, then the Dpad went out later. I liked it a lot while it worked though. Stick is obviously better, especially execution wise..

6. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    Xbox controller. I like the feel of the directional pad, but button arrangement is a bit inefficient.

I'm seriously considering investing in a stick if not a hitbox. Ideal would be a pad where I could use the buttons at the top the way you would those of a stick.

7. BeastEG

BeastEG Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BeastyEG
    PS2 Dualshock w/Converter. Works like a charm

soke likes this.
  8. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    I actually just ordered the WWE Brawl Stick as a starter stick. Thing is, I'm not sure I have enough dexterity to really be any better using a stick, and this seems like a good enough, cheap starting point that can be modded later. If I don't like it, though, I will probably invest in a smaller pad.

9. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Im telling you now you will probably become frustrated trying to use the stick. But stick with it. I bought one about two weeks ago and slowly im improving with it.

10. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    I'll keep that in mind if I start to get too frustrated. It can't be much more worse than how I'm doing now. :)

11. FakeSypha

FakeSypha Active Member

PSN:
    FakeSypha
    @Keoma; Lol, I bought the same stick some months ago. I tried to swap to stick and leave pads behind. I couldn't pull it, even when I forced myself to play on it exclusively for some time. I had to do some ghetto modding to the stick actually. I was having some problems with 1 and 3 diagonals. Overall, the stick is a bit unresponsive.
    My problem was I couldn't execute the same on stick than in pad, so my performance dropped (and I'm not that good to let that happen, lol)

Ontopic: I'm using the regular 360 wireless controller on 360; and the regular DS3 on PS3. I prefer the Dualshock. However, 360's pad improved a lot with a d-pad mod I did.

12. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Is the stick unresponsive or do you just have trouble with diagonals? I have a fightstick pro and I also have problems with diagonals. I say that to say, it just takes some getting use to.

If you decide to stick with pad i highly recommend ps2 ds> etokki ps2 to xbox 360 convertor. Excellent combination.

13. FakeSypha

FakeSypha Active Member

PSN:
    FakeSypha
    @soke; Well, maybe I haven't expressed myself correctly. Sorry about my shitty English. The stick IS unresponsive. It has a wide window until it 'clicks' and register the inputs. Specially with diagonals. Watch this @2:50
    You'll get a better idea of what am I trying to say.

I managed to improve its responsiveness with a homemade mod involving adding pieces of folded paper. But that doesn't last much time, so don't rely on it. Next best thing to do is replacing stock parts I believe.

14. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Interesting. I knew it used no name parts but didn't know about those issues with that stick.

15. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    Well, I'm supposed to receive it today and am cautiously optimistic about it being a step up from an unmodded Xbox d-pad.

Main reason I bought it, though, is that I read that it's pretty easy to swap the joystick and buttons out (sort of expected even). Plus with the amazon credit card $50 coupon, the joystick cost me about $1 and change. :) I wish I could have taken advantage of gamestop's $19 sale, though, a while back.

16. FakeSypha

FakeSypha Active Member

PSN:
    FakeSypha
    It is a step up, even more if you plan to swap the stock parts for actual good ones. Maybe mine came defective, so keep that optimist standpoint and let us know how you feel with it!

I bought it at Game for 20 yurop bucks :p

17. Keoma

Keoma Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DaManWithNoGame
    I got it yesterday, and it definitely takes some time getting used to. Some moves I could never do on pad, though, I can pull off with more frequency. Some stuff that I could do with the pad, though, is a bit more iffy so far. Backwards diagonals seem a bit tougher to pull off.

Still, I like the feeling. Takes me back to the arcades.

18. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Stick with it. I like to go through command training and view input data(where it shows you the stick and what buttons you're pressing) on moves im having difficulty with.

19. Brylantor

Brylantor Member

I just use the standard PS3 dualshock pad.

My friend was saying it's possible to connect the saturn VF stick to a PS3 via a serial->USB convertor, shizz sounds interesting, hopefully I'll be able to blag it off him when he gets it up and running.

20. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Ps3 Dualshock3