1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pai's strengths.

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Plume, May 2, 2010.

1. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that Pai was easily one of the weakest characters in the game, but if I believe tier lists, she's supposedly up there in the first or second line.

I know that people say tier lists are meaningless in VF5, but I'm still interested.
    Could anyone with Pai experience explain what makes her a strong character in general?

She seems to have many tricks, but tricks are tricks, they don't always work. Does she simply have a ton of tricks, or does she have solid stuff too?

2. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    For her it is all about her speed and offensive pressure and her reversals and inashis make up for any mistakes she make along the way as well. And she is extremely safe as well. The youtube Cappo training video shows some of the cool tricks she can do to beat elbows etc after having her moves blocked, you should really look it up.

She has alot of nasty offensive options from any position not just from bokutai. Me and St Seiju found cools options that work after her 66 P+K cancel but I won't say what they are here it's a secret between me and him.

3. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, the Cappo videos are mostly about tricks though.
    I guess the question is ... is she strong because of tricks, or is there another reason? Does her general safety alone make that much of a difference? Are the tricks seen as part of her strength?

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Her primary big launcher, [​IMG][6][P] is safe on block. Its a counterhit launcher though which explains.

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

the Cappo vids aren't about tricks. they're about options.

Pai is fast, has great mix ups, and strong float potential. in the right hands she can be a monster to deal with.

6. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Adding these things up along with a few things that were said in shoutbox, I can understand a little better, even though it's still very blurry.

I wouldn't have wanted to spend time learning her if she had depended on tricks to get things done.
    Plus she really looked like her only role was to beat complete newbies. I'm starting to see why it's not the case.
    Thanks again all.

7. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus she really looked like her only role was to beat complete newbies.</div></div>

Wolf has to be the ultimate noob killer.

8. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    You can spare with me if you want since I am every so often and I can show you a few things basic things and other cool things as well look me up when I on since I don't like playing Pai much now a days

9. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will. [​IMG]
    But first I need to grind quest mode for a few days, forge a basic battleplan, and most importantly collect more items before going out in public.

10. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

Blergh, costumes. My default costumes will destroy all!!

11. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Should do the baloon trick.

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    She has a 10f jab, what I'd say is the 2nd best 14f mid in the game in 9k+g,a good 14f launcher with :k: along with 4 throw directions and low throws. Imo her basics are great. Gimmicks are nice but Pai can kill you with The fundimentals

13. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Thanks Marlyjay, and for the balloon trick, the worst is that I probably won't notice it when it appears.
    I was kidding though, I don't do it for the costumes, but it *is* a good incentive to practice in quest mode.

14. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I do it for the costumes. I'm pretty shallow. What's the point in kicking ass if you don't look good doing it?

Also , if you catch a beating at least you looked good getting your ass kicked.

15. 124

124 Well-Known Member

Pai is strong in a way that she is fast and she has many counters in the game. Her attacks gives large amount of damage than of some characters in VF.

16. Relugus

Relugus Member

Pai can disorientate opponents with her sheer speed, especially if you mix things up in your attack.

She looks damn sexy doing it, too. :p

17. Nippon1v1

Nippon1v1 Member

And this is why I'm switching from Eileen to Pai.. Her Mizong shaolin style is too good

18. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    are we talking vanilla here? or FS? im confused

19. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Pai has no strengths in FS so probably Vanilla. [​IMG]

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    She's really really fast in FS. 12f true mid that's safe on block, adv on hit and knocks down on CH. crazy stuff.