1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Pancratium as THE oldest real martial art...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by HugeDude, Nov 3, 2002.

1. HugeDude

HugeDude Member

I honestly don't know if i'm the only one really interested in Jeffry's style of fighting, but I'd really like to know where the people who created his style got their ideas from... I'm simply interested if this (REALLY ugly but EXTREMELY effective) style of fighting has already been forgotten or not...

Yours Truly,
    HugeDude

2. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Quote from "SEGA VIRTUA FIGHTER SERIES
    CHARACTER BIO'S" text.

"FIGHTING STYLE: The fighting arms without weapon training, was used by the
    fighters in the Ancient roman Empire. This style of fighting power was called
    Pancratium. Pancratium is an advanced style of fighting based on the primitive
    attacks of knock-out, throw, or strangulation. This style is very similar to
    Sumo Wrestling. Therefore, its style becomes one of the most deadly Virtua
    Fighting Styles, because it seeks to completely strike down an opponent
    permanently."

3. HugeDude

HugeDude Member

OK, this is just stupid replying to my own post, but an addition to the previous one: are there really documents (amphora fragments, written data???) about the Ancient Olympic sport of Pancratium? If ANYONE knew, I would really appreciate any piece of information...

4. HugeDude

HugeDude Member

Thank You for the reply (which really wasn't all that necessary), but the art of Pancratium dates back to the Ancient Olympic GAmes of the Greeks, not the Romans (my deepest regrets to the game developers and the upkeepers of this site for that unfortunate mistake...), not the savage and brutal "displays of strength" of the Roman Empire...

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Ok, lesson one - sega, in terms of defining fighting arts, are a little off. Jeffry's fighting style bares NO resemblence to sumo. Sumo's primary objective is to set the opponent off balance so that they are forced to make contact with the ground with a part of their body besides their foot. Jeffry's fighting art, at it's inception, was based on beating the living snot out of the other person by all means nessisairy.

6. HugeDude

HugeDude Member

Oh yes, someone else also reads Sun Tzu... Really, the point of my post was to attract the interest of the modern day "Pancratium"-enthusiasts.... I don't think that there really can be found any else but me... =(

7. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

Why dont ya try out google,com I found stuff on nitten ichi ryu, Torou ken, suiken and jeet kune do..im pretty sure you could find something like pancratium or whatever

8. martialfanatic

martialfanatic Well-Known Member

Man, I had found a real life pancratium site...but had to format my computer so it isn't in my favorites (tried to save favorites but they won't work for some strange reason). I love that art too, but it's way more harsh than VF depicts it.

Try searching for Pankration. Pancratium is a more modern name for that same art. I've found better results using that name, and I prefer to call it that too (though many VF fans get confused so I stick to Pancratium).

9. Shadowdean

10. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

Since shun di has a name similar to the founder of suiken, then i wonder if jeffery was named after one of the famous pancratium practitioners...

11. Shadowdean

I don't see Jeffery as a particularly greek name....or roman even.

12. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

From the look of that website, You cant be good at pancratium unless you have wild hair lol.

13. Shadowdean

heh, Jim is not known for his barber

14. Joe the Classicist

Joe the Classicist New Member

Pancratium is known in the Odes of Pindar, 5th century B.C., where he writes of winners of Olympic and various other series of games in various categories. Pindar was a poet who wrote poems celebrating Olympic victors. Think of him as the ESPN Color Commentary of 5th century Ancient Greece. He wrote odes for victors in the Olympian, Pythian, Nemean and Isthmian games. In Nemean Ode #2, he commemorates one Timodemos, from a suburb of Athens, who won the Pancratium in the Nemean games (dedicated to Zeus) in possibly the 490s B.C.

Kruza likes this.