1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Phasing Turn

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Myke, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Original post by tonyfamilia, resurrected from Google cache.

This thread is to talk about Phase Turning (PT) movement and attacks/tactics.

Have you ever done /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif from PT and been confused about what direction to press in order to Slip Left or Right?

Well, here's the perfect way to know which way to go in order to perform a combo such as:
    Phase Turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif(stagger)-> Slip Left(towards Brad's back) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

When you PT towards the foreground (towards the camera) and you do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif you have to press up in order to Slip Left and when you PT towards the background you have to press down to Slip Left. It may sound a little confusing but it's simple:

If you PT down (foreground) and you do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif you have to press up for the Smash Hook
    But if you PT up (background) and do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif you have to press down to get Smash Hook.

This applies to BOTH 1P and 2P side, no matter the foot position. Crazy, huh?

Now here's a nice little setup for PT:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(counter hit) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif Now, here's where it gets interesting, if you think that your opponent is going to do In Place recovery go for another /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif to go into Long Ducking (LD) and do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. They will not be able to block and you will get a flop for another combo and maybe another setup if they decide to techroll again.
    BUT here's where you can throw in a nice and tight PT:
    after the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(counter hit) combo, if they decide to techroll that's when you go into PT. You can even delay the PT a little by doing PT from LD instead of from Ducking.

Make sure to PT in the direction that they techroll for better pressure and effectiveness.
    The options from here are really good bc when they're coming off their techroll Brad's PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can beat a LOT of things if your opponent tries to attack or throw.

PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is good for crouching opponents who fear Brad's PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and/or 0frame throws. Also noteworthy is that PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif doesn't just stagger crouching opponents, it also staggers on counter hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dont forget that Brad's PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is even better than regular standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif bc it's +3 on block! You can charge the followup /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif but I dont reccomend this move too much unless you've got a turtle or you got your opponent paralyzed in fear of your offense /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

It's good to PT and do a 0frame throw but try to mix it up with other attacks not from PT but just as soon as you get out of PT to keep your opponent guessing as to what the hell you are doing. If you start to see a pattern in the moves that you are doing with Brad, go into Dojo and practice linking different things together from all his stances, practice things like:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, Slip Left /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, Slip Right, PT... keep it going.

We've seen a lot of cool things done with Brad but I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

So, what do you like to do with PT?

2. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Originally posted by Myke, restored from Google cache.

Nice post Tony!

I'd recommend going for Body Break instead of Smash Hook after phasing turn. The main reason is that it's mid and will beat out a low punch attempt should the opponent struggle, whereas I think the Smash Hook will lose to a low punch.

To do the Body Break, you Slip in the same direction as you did the Phasing Turn. So its:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif -> PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (Body Break)

or

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif -> PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (Body Break)

The other good PT attack as you mentioned is the Flicker Jab (PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif). But the rules for the Slipping direction is reversed if you PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif instead of PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

So, the general rule for the Body Break is:

PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif -> Slip in same dir. -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif -> Slip in opp. dir. -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

One of the more satisfying things I like to do with PT is the PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - Face Crush Knee. Especially doing it against a Rising Kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL1Ww-Eb4Oc

3. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Originally posted by tonyfamilia, restored from Google cache.

Thanks, Myke, you even saved me having to write about Flicker Jab myself. I will add that the same position that Brad ends up in when he does Flicker Jab is the same position he ends up in if he does PT without any of it's attacks.

Meaning that if Brad's in Closed Stance and does PT toward the background /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif he's going to still be in Closed Stance (Brad's chest facing camera) and if he does PT towards the foreground /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif he ends up in Open Stance (Brad's back towards camera). This applies in either 1P or 2P sided.
    It's good to know this for combos and if you choose to go into Slipping Left/Right after you do PT.

That was a really good fight, I liked how after you got Wolf with a gut crumple you did /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif (LD) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif I love when Brad gets unblockable hits in like that.

Hopefully that'll teach Wolf not to mess with Brad ever again /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
    Oh no, I'm sorry Mr. Big Bad Wolf, dont perfect Giant Swing me bro! XD

Seriously though, the reason that I prefer to do Smash Hook instead of Body Break is bc when I tested this "combo" in Dojo I put the CPU to stagger recover the fastest and I was STILL able to connect with Smash Hook which is 12 frames but when I connected with Body Break it did not count it as combo.

I'm not 100% sure but if the CPU couldn't shake out it of that stagger at the fastest stagger recovery setting, I figured that it was legit.
    What do you think, legitimate combo or not?

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Originally posted by Myke, restored from Google cache.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not 100% sure but if the CPU couldn't shake out it of that stagger at the fastest stagger recovery setting, I figured that it was legit.
    What do you think, legitimate combo or not?</div></div>
    With the help of Ken, I tested this out (as well as you can online!) and if you do the Smash Hook with the fastest timing, then it is guaranteed.

But if you delay the slip, or even the Smash Hook, the opponent has a chance to struggle and counter hit you with a low punch.

If your hit checking is on point and you can slip into smash hook without delay after the double crush stagger, then sure go for it. I just think the body break gives you more margin for error because even if they manage to recover and low punch, they've still got a mid punch counter hit with their name on it!

5. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    <s>OK this might need confirmation but, you see, i was playing this Brad player, i didn't hit confirm and went for a low throw after vanessa's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, he did a phasing turn the other way and i low throwed him by accident.</s>

Just reminding that Brad can be low thrown while he's doing phasing turn. Apparently it was common knowledge, it's just not mentioned in this thread, sorry.

6. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Party pooper! >_<

Seriously, it's possible to delay the last hit of PT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif for a long time.

7. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I should read this thread earlier!!
    Thanks for the info!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
    If you PT down (foreground) and you do + you have to press up for the Smash Hook
    But if you PT up (background) and do + you have to press down to get Smash Hook.

[2] [P] [+] [K] [+] [G] [2] -> PT [P] [+] [K] [2] -> [P] (Body Break)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Campare with these two above, can I say
    [2] [P] [+] [K] [+] [G] [2] -> PT [P] [+] [K] [8] -> [P] (Smash Hook)??
    All I need is to do shlip with the same direction with P+K, and then decide smash hook or body break???