1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Playing to Win - For those that haven't read it

Discussion in 'General' started by deathsushi, Jul 16, 2008.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

This guide is bordering on old news these days, but for those that haven't seen it, I highly recommend David Sirlin's "Playing to Win". Lots of very good advice for people that are keen to improve their mad VF skillz.

Playing to Win

--Adam

2. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Some deep stuff in there bro, glad you posted that. I made it up to the end of More On Losing chapter so far and also agree that those that haven't read this should do so.

3. deathsushi

Eh FeauchA - good to see you over here. Very deep stuff. He articulates the Scrub really well. I've always thought being called "cheap" was ridiculous, but never had the words to explain to myself why that was the case.

--Adam

4. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Yea I thought that part was wonderfull. This paragraph had me kinda crackin up. Can't wait to read the whole thing, just the lil bit I read changed my game mentaly.

"I lost to a scrub!”

This is the most entertaining complaint of the bunch. When this player loses to someone he considers a weaker player, the “I lost to a scrub!” line is sometimes used as an excuse. This player is saying that he is very good at the game, and losing to such a poor player doesn’t prove anything. He often enumerates all the weaknesses of this “poor player,” including such gems as “he relies on only one tactic” and “his mind games are weak.” The more he puts down the other player, though, the worse he looks himself. If the other player relies on only one tactic, and you can’t beat it, then what does that say about you?

5. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Sirlin spam will it never end.

6. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

TWP spam, it will never end. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

7. LucidNightmare

LucidNightmare Well-Known Member

Re: Playing to Win - For those that haven't read i

@OP-Sirlin's a genius, I remember first being introduced to his writings by my mentor in Soul Calibur when I first got into that...Playing To Win is a very great article! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Anyways, there are also some other great articles on his site, especially the one regarding Yomi.

Thanks for posting this up for those that haven't read him yet, I believe every fighting game player should. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal

Sirlins writings are true, but experienced tournament players should already know the things he writes about. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

9. KtotheG

KtotheG Well-Known Member

sirlin is full of shit

10. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

LOL, let me second that!!!

11. deathsushi

@Manjimaru - Let me assure you that there are more than just tournament caliber players reading these forums <raising hand meekly>.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

on a general basis, i think the author is right.