1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

PSN Good Games

Discussion in 'PlayStation Network' started by Myke, May 31, 2012.

1. perabove

perabove Member

We've all had those games. Make a note of the name, never accept to fight them again. They're not playing VF. There's hardly any players online it's pretty easy to block off the frauds. Though I certainly know what it feels like to laugh myself all the way a demotion because I got curious just how much false advantage I was at. For me P was losing to yellow against standing -15. It was mind bending to calculate how much before the other player had input a move would I have to block and buffer a fair punish. Not worth playing those games.

But you can be part of the solution. Adapt a low damage, down tempo style, and play against Kyus and Dans. Teach the inexperienced players the value of safe boring offence, the dangers of lows and abare, the weakness throws. They're the players with the most open minds, but the least to work with.

I've been happier wasting half an hour slowly and lightly punishing inexperienced players without actually making them feel like game is either inaccessible, or baffling them with mix ups and it could give them a base to make more sense of what they're actually doing.

Anytime I see a Warrior rank or above who relies on 2p interrupts, fail evades, throws from every +7, abare moves after hitting from couch - it drives me crazy. And that's before the lag flowcharts come into play.

VF online is rotting with bad habits and fraudulent ranks. Sow the seeds for a new generation to grow their knowledge so they become aware of the tools that are already at their disposal.

Or whine about it on the internet. In my experience hard facts miss the target when aimed at ignorant winners who fail to realise there are unwinnable matches that are entirely decided by networking, not the gameplay.

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    You say there's hardly any players online so it's easy to stop playing the frauds, but then what you're left with is waiting in the lobby for a good 30 mins or more!

Your solution is to play the poke game essentially, but spliffybaz says his 14f move gets beat out at +8 because of rancid netcode.. Teach the inexperienced players? Have you seen Faren with his 10-20k games and still hunter? Online is filled with jobbers like him, you can't teach them shit, it's a waste of time. They have to want to learn themselves - and if they wanted to learn, they would have by now. You can guide them to VFDC, you can guide them to online resources, but at the end of the day its on them, you can't beat it out of them. Trust me, I've tried.

Beating on jobbers for 30 mins or more may be fun for you, but I don't think the same can be said for most people. As Cruz loves to say, online vf is not real vf. That is all.

3. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    For those who play online we all have to adapt to lag ( punishing with p k instead of a 14exe starter for example), but putting that aside , I just want to make a little parenthesis about abare:
    One should not confusing it with lag issue, it's a viable tactic ( I know a lot of people get irritated by this, ok I may use it sometimes too often ^^"), it's a double edge weapon but you should always have it in your defense mixups.

As it is legit to throw in a non "fuzzyable" situation for your opponent, it's legit to launch to counter that also ^^

In a turn based game abare is telling your opponent "ok it's your turn...maybe ^^", unless he's at least at+10 (+9 for Wolf) your opponent should never feel comfortable and safe with his offense.

4. perabove

perabove Member

Couple points: You'll be waiting up to 10 minutes between matches anyway because there are few players. Filling your time with bogus games is always a waste. Thinning the herd is still the best option in my opinion.

Faren isn't a good example - I'm not sure he can learn. He lives to be counter hit and never understood that mids can hit crouch. He'll never stop, I'm not sure it's an option for him. All other players have more potential than a guy the bottom rank with over 30000 battle points. I seriously believe he's mentally challenged. If I didn't pity him I'd never play him. But he's not going to be an influence on my philosophy about game. He's a harmless aberration.

I've seen players learn, I've watched them try different things over the course of a ten game set and take the baby steps to recognising what it is that's beating them. The bar is really low, I'm taking solace in seeing players just stand and block, rather than 2p or crouch against a mid that'll beat them, seeing them trying throws from ridiculously small advantages. It takes months to get the rhythm of this game, and months again to recognise which parts of that beat mean what. We were all back there once. Remembering that is much more useful than complaining about the degraded connections. The bad players won't change, but if it makes competent players frustrated enough to tear up the low level new players it compounds the problems with the online community.

It's not fun exactly to beat low ranks, but it can have some rewards, like I say the bar is really low though.

Cruz is spot on, online VF is not real VF. I know one player whose offence is built on 6p, 2p as a starter, he lives at -5 and can't be stopped with 15, 14 or 12 frame moves, they don't come out until maybe 4 frames after buffer window. He's Assassin rank last I checked, and insists he only plays within advantage. That's rancid. That's unplayable. That's skillless. That's trolling. That's online VF with certain players - their shitty offence never needs to stop. Just don't play that game, but take a breath and move on without getting frustrated. Whining is not what the GG thread was put here for.

5. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    What you say about abare is correct. Used properly it's a great way to keep players honest.

The problem is many players online have no idea what that is. They simply continue to attack because they believe that is the proper response to a situation they have been in 1000 times thanks to lag.

How many Lions online follow up a blocked 2P with his crouching 3P launcher? Online that's a legit tactic. Almost a natural combo. Offline, they'd get blown up for such stupidity. That's not good use of abare, that's abusing lag. Yet, you can't get upset with that player because that's the environment they "grew up" in.

It's annoying, frustrating, time wasting, and provides false confidence for players that don't know how to properly trap an opponent because their -6 situation suddenly is only -2.

I will admit though, that the GG thread should be free of whining. Yet, Cruz is right, online VF is not real VF. Sadly, for many of us, it's the only VF we have...:(

Kamais_Ookin and BlackGeneral like this.
  6. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    What's your PSN tag Pera? Who do you play with offline??

I can easily wait 25 minutes for a match in ranked and the player that lives at -5 and wins out with 15f shoulder is an akira yes? I have a replay of that shit beating out a Pai 3P+K, checked for frames, then rechecked with input displays on. He still lost even though I can't attack at advantage, horrendous masher. Have many replays of me and Chamame3, I uploaded one where he couldn't land a 12f jab @ +15. I couldn't throw him after any whiffs.. Your poke game advice is bullshit, it wont work. It is also horrendous advice as I have to play people offline and that isn't gonna get it done. Do you even play this offline, because it sure doesn't sound like it.

We should not play to our full potential vs new players, man get the fuck out of here with that. You dictate what we should post in the thread, how we should play versus players, again gtfo with that too.

I gave props to the guys I had good games with, was good stuff!
    You don't like people's right to free speech, but like dictating to them? Good stuff..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    MrJostar and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  7. JDS-Cigano75019

JDS-Cigano75019 Active Member

PSN:
    JDS-Cigano75019
    XBL:
    Genjuro Howard
    The debate on online is eternal, online quality will never be the same as offline, but online play help to progress, I'm a online players (like all players vf non-Japanese), but i go sometime on offline session of chibitox and other guys, the offline timing is different and it took me 30 minutes of adaptation before I could play, but the conduct of matches was exactly like that online (the result also ^ ^), so yes someone who only plays offline cant play online, but say vf online and offline are two different games I think it's exaggerating.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  8. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It's not an exaggeration, it almost feels like two different games between online and offline. It's not just frames holding up, but being able to whiff punish, duck highs, respond to frame traps quicker, etc. Offline feels like... vf. Online my reactions suffer so I have to compensate with more yomi, completely different, and you tend to see people freeze more because of the lag, I know I do. There is the odd person though that lag doesn't seem to affect them at all that I've found like GT for example, he just plays as he usually does, a true online warrior that mofo is!

BlackGeneral and steelbaz like this.
  9. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    I cant say much about it since i dont have offline experience against good players,though im playing offline with my bro sometimes. Like Kamais said online you cant or its too uncomfortable to duck highs,whiff punish etc. Even hitchecking is too hard and that force you to abare. For online Yomi is your friend, unfortunately reactions cant help you except if your connection with your opponent is godlike.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    MrJostar, Kamais_Ookin and steelbaz like this.
  10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Im pretty sure that GT became good due to the time he spent at the dojo.

11. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

He told me that he hardly spends any time in Dojo Mode.

12. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    GT epic.

Kamais_Ookin likes this.
  13. Riq

Riq Well-Known Member

PSN:
    RaWsHaK91
    BLACKSTAR likes this.
  14. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Spiros_1978
    Ah, man! It's good to be back! Last night's games was tons of fun! Many, many thanks to Tocuh and Modelah!

@Tocuh : I'll be honest with you. My Shun can't react to your offensive game. You 've put a lot of pressure on poor, old Shun. Maybe it's time for me to learn how to defend and dodge properly, otherwise your Jacky will continue to smash Shun with his flip kick ;)

@Modelah : What can I say? You made me fall in love with the big guy again! Your play style is scares me. One wrong move and half of the health bar is gone. The best thing I can do is to be as close to Taka as I can. He is very dangerous in open distance.

Tocuh and Modelah like this.
  15. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    l think alot of people would say there the opposite from him. The majority of the time thats all im doing. Gaining character knowledge and trying to find any new tech 4 Jacky. Then the next time a person fights me my style is different or more refined.

16. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    GG @OmegaSFox . Gotta play more honest though.

17. PoisonKid13

PoisonKid13 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    AngerTheMasses
    Hoyati, Ellis, Dark Nova Void and 3 others like this.
  18. TheKillingJoke

TheKillingJoke Active Member

PSN:
    Killjoke_1992
    Good Games to the people I ran into today ardamon,@ToyDingo ,Abbot DOOM, V6rsus9, and a good lei player who's name I don't remember. You all kicked my ass enough for today lol

19. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    :D
    gg's to @ToyDingo and @Hoyati in the room. we all played like crap though lol

Hoyati and ToyDingo like this.
  20. D0llo13

D0llo13 Well-Known Member

Good Games To all The PSN Locals@PoisonKid13@killjoke1992@Hoyati@PRep@godofcookery@OmegaSFox@DarkNovaVoid.Without PSN and online we would all have never met each Drunk-bear-attack-come-at-me-bro.gif other.Keep the Faith!!

Ellis, Hoyati, bruciethebeast and 2 others like this.