1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Rocket Discharge and you

Discussion in 'El Blaze' started by Namflow, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

Hey all - I thought I'd post a thread with my thoughts on rocket discharge, what are good setups for it, and how to use it to your advantage.

Rocket Discharge Strengths:
    - Opponets are scared of Day Job (RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw)
    - Has low, mid, unblockable high, and throw options
    - Can RD after a large variety of moves hit, after some moves are blocked, and in the middle or at the end of strings.
    - Perceived speed

Disadvantage:
    - Opponets will hit you out of it.
    - RD moves execute slowly, anywhere from 21-30 frames.
    - Relatively low damage, with your most damaging options being the Day Job /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif at a heafty 55 damage and low drop kick -> rolling body press /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (crumple) -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for about 48 points of damage.

Now, let's look at all your options in more detail:

RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - Flying Cross Chop
    Mid, 30 damage, 21 frame execution, linear

Strengths:
    - Knockdown on hit
    - You can tech roll after landing on hit, block, or whiff
    - Appears to execute fast
    - You can use RD to run through an opponet and, once behind them, hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to have Blaze turn around and Flying Cross Chop towards the opponet.
    - If at a distance can be purposefully whiffed to land, tech roll, and fake out your opponet.
    - Will beat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

Weaknesses:
    - If you are hit out of it you will go flying
    - Executes slowly so you WILL be hit out of it if the opponet attacks
    - If it's blocked and you tech roll it's easy to be hit by the opponet during your tech roll

RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - Drop Kick
    Mid, 26 damage, 25 frame execution, linear

Strengths:
    - Knock down on hit, stagger on guard
    - Can RD on hit
    - Will beat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

Weaknesses:
    - Executes slower than RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    - Although opponet is staggered on guard, if he struggles fast it feel as if you lose advantage.

RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - Low Drop Kick
    Low, 24 damage + crumple on hit, 30 frame execution, linear

Advantages:
    - Low, will beat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and any other high attack
    - Beats /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif when you have advantage
    - Crumble on hit with guaranteed followup, RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for close to 50 damage

Disadvantages:
    - Slow execution at 30 frames (half a second!) Easy to see coming
    - On block you're -16 and gonna eat something nasty.
    - Opponet may be likely to duck to avoid RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif Tope Mortal
    high, unblockable, 35 damage, 26 frame execution, linear

Strengths:
    - High and unblockable
    - Looks cool, demoralizes the opponet if you hit it

Disadvantages:
    - Beats a standing, guarding opponet like RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif but for less damage
    - Linear, so loses to a dodge whereas RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif would hit
    - Will whiff a ducking opponet making you vulnurable

RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - Day Job
    High catch throw, 55 damage

Advantages:
    - Most damaging RD move at 55 damage
    - Fastest executing RD move
    - Catch throw so throw escapes won't work
    - Will beat dodges, standing guard, and backdashes
    - HOT DOG

Disadvantages:
    - Opponet does NOT want to get hit by this and will /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif mercilessly.
    - If ducked or otherwise whiffed you are open to counterattack if the opponet is fast.

You can also Demon Dance /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and Fake Roll /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif from RD, but seeing as you can use these moves without RD I won't discuss them as much. For example, you'd use the Fake Roll to close the distance between you and the opponet, but if you were close enough to have a move hit or block then why fake roll? Or if you were far away why rocket discharge before using fake roll, unless to play mind games with the opponet?

Next I'll talk about when you can enter rocket discharge. There are tons of moves out there but I'll only write about the ones that I use often during normal matches.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - You can enter rocket discharge whenever you want with a bit of a startup time. Useful if you want to RD far away from a downed opponet to get them to whiff a rising attack and punish it accordingly.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - You can RD after a hit or block of the last hit, which is high. Advantages is if the opponet blocks the last hit you are good to go, but since the last hit is high (as are all other hits of the combo) chances are your opponet might be ducking and not get hit by the last /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - Can RD if the last hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif hits. If it does hit your opponet will be staggered. Great because the last hit is mid in a high mid mid combo and uncounterable (-9) on block. Can be delayed a bit, but you can be hit out of the last hit of this combo because the final /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif comes out slowly even when not delayed.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - Great because you can RD after the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in the combo /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif on block or hit. The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is mid and full circular, so you can attack a tech roller by timing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif so the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will whiff but the opponet must block (or get hit) by the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Also, if the opponet thinks you will RD you can always complete the 3 hit chain to punish them.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - Can RD if the last kick of this combo hits. Great because the last kick can be delayed. I've found that if you delay the last /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and they get hit by it the opponet will generally be surprised and get hit by RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - You can RD when /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif hits, however I don't use this too much. if /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gifis a counter hit you get a crumple and free combo. It can be difficult to hit check the difference between normal hit and a counter hit in the middle of battle. It took me a while to learn to NOT RD on counter so I could get the crumple combo. On the plus side, even though you are only +1 on regular hit, the opponet WILL dodge if this hits so /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif (normal hit) -> RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif will work.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - Mid ranged semi-circular kick that you can RD after hit or guard. Good for closing the distance, but if you get the stagger you might have better options instead of using RD.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - I don't use this option too much. Instead I prefer to stop and throw after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or complete the combo /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to get a flop on major counter. You can RD after the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in this combo on hit or guard, but because it is high your options are limited. If you think your opponet will attack, using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is better than hitting the last /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in this combo. If you think they will block or dodge stopping the combo to throw is better than RD.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - Demon's Tail, you can RD on block or hit. If this hits you'll get a deep stagger so using RD wouldn't be your best option. If it's blocked your opponet will try to attack, so using a slow execution RD move may not be your best option.

DM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif - I love this. Opponets are used to dodging after getting hit by a character's DM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif that doesn't knock down, and may not be aware you can RD after this move. Thus they'll get hit by RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif often. Once they realize this they'll either duck or counter attack. Once they start to counter attack simply hit DM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and go for a launcher instead of using RD. Awesome.

Summary: RD is useful for catching opponets who don't know when you can RD or how to deal with it. Most smart opponets will deal with it by attacking you out of it. When this happens either finish your chain, use a launcher if you have advantage, or simply don't RD!

If you can RD when the opponet is struggling it may not be the best idea. RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif may whiff on a struggling opponet, and there are better (ie: more damaging) options if you don't RD. For example, if /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif hits and staggers your opponet, you are better off going for a throw or if the opponet doesn't stagger they'll eat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (stagger) -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (first hit floats struggled opponets) -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Why RD when you can get an awesome combo like that?

RD should be used for it's speed (the speed at which you can go into it, not the speed of it's moves). It's damage isn't high but it can keep an opponet on edge not wanting to be hit by RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. If you don't abuse RD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and save it you'll be more likely to hit it when you choose to use it instead of using it at every chance.

2. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Great post!

Also not to forget, when you use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to cancel Rocket Discharge and execute a throw, it will automatically be a zero frame throw(iirc).

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Namflow, great post! I'm loving El Blaze, playing him is the most fun I've had in years. Your post will help out a lot of aspiring El Blaze players.

One thing I'd add is that for RD attacks (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif especially) you can do them a bit early such that when within range the attack is already in its hit phase. Timed right, you can beat whatever attacks the opponent throws out.

4. EVM

EVM Well-Known Member

Its simple, Blaze is an awesome character to use, lots of fun, and he has a ton of mind games. I can't wait for the day that I can make him move the way I really want to.

BTW, don't steal my Blaze PS3 name.......A-Blazing

5. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

I'm a big BLAZE player, and people don't understand the power of the RD. Good post man, Love the setups. Always learning when I come here:)

6. ElectricLeo

ElectricLeo Well-Known Member

Namflow, I'm really starting to try to learn El Blaze properly now, but I'm having problems with one aspect of the Rocket Discharge. Sometimes, when I run past them I flip around and am facing them really quickly, which I think you reference in your description of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from RD. I'm in training mode now and can't make El Blaze change direction as he runs past, but I've noticed it happen quite a few times in play. Do you know what the rule is for that? It seems like it could be a very powerful technique if I can make it reliable.

7. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    I hear your pain! When ever I use it I get whacked out of it or I dash past the opponent missing all together. I sometimes if I try the throw I go past them no matter how quickly mash the throw command. Low drop kick can get predictable and punishable and side step-able etc.

I don`t like RD so far. I don`t have a clue how to use it effectively. [​IMG]

8. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    The only time I ever really use rocket discharge is after 4PK

That's the only time I get it to work.

Remember when you go into RD you can instantly cancel it into fake roll or demon dance.