1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Round openers?

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Pai~Chun, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Hello Lau players, dearest daughter here ;)

...so, I was thinking more about starting the match, and what kind of moves can Daddy Chan work best to run/rush a game down?

1P - Special low, comes out pretty fast to beat plenty of high hits, and if hits on counter (yellow flash) can start good advantage. He has two combo starters from a crouching position, 2_46P and 2_3PP+K

6P - Decent mid, if it hits, try a 6K

6PP - You can of course quickly hit all 3 buttons after this to go into Kokei stance, where you have the launcher (3P), circular if you think they'll evade (K+G) or guard break (6P+K) if they lock up.

3PPP string - It's pretty fast, and you can risk the low K at the end early on to gauge what kind of player you're dealing with. Obviously if it's blocked, you'll eat most heavy launchers. Also this is a linear sequence so liable to evade either way. Note the -10 on normal hit, so try to hit check this after the first P.

Evade (8 or 2) - Yup, if you think they're gonna start with a linear mid (for example, Akira's rushing elbow) a simple sidestep could net huge rewards if you can land a counter hit 3K

Backdash (44) - This could leave them open to a 3P+K, which is quite a long start up big launcher you may struggle to ever land otherwise against careful players who know what they're doing.

66P+K - It's a semi-circular, that good players can and will evade. Leaves him back-turned, which doesn't feel that good a place to be with Lau, hmm, you tell me. I just like to throw this out early on sometimes more for style, or 'Lau-flow', as it reminds me of the older games.

P4PP - You can delay this, and the 2nd hit is a special mid going into a knockdown.

KK - Is this legit? You're still at +1 on block, maybe something to work with a few times. Plenty of moves can go under these two spinning kicks.

2KP - Starts low into a blast back type of knockdown if hits on counter I think. Not that fast, could well be beaten high or mid.

6K+G - Fighting someone you know is trying to constantly evade into launch? Fire up with this powerful full high circular to make them rethink their plans a bit!

OK, so that's pretty much what I use, just wondering what else is out there, or if some of this is way to risky?

Special thanks to Oneida, HappyFriend and one of the Lau players on Jimmy's Hong Kong stream whom I emulated much of this from, cheers.

2. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

• Keep it on topic. Especially in the dojo.
    Libertine, Sozos, Stl_Tim and 4 others like this.
  3. ItSupah

ItSupah Active Member

PSN:
    ItSupah
    XBL:
    ItSupah
    You are going to stalk him untill he accepts?? lol.

4. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Or STFU

5. BlondieVF5

BlondieVF5 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BLONDIE_hydra
    Laus best round openers

[4][6][P]
    Backdash [4][6][P]
    Forward dash [4][6][P]
    [1][1][4][6][P]
    Ecd [4][P][+][K] [P] Mixup

6. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    I'll use 7K since it seems to have a wonky hurtbox and it beats a LOT of stuff you wouldn't expect it to

but in general, i try to learn as much as i can about my opponent, so fuzzy or backdash evade is OP on round start.

7. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    lol, I forgot to add, you can of course simply start the round holding [G] then wait out the other guy's attack, and when or if they pause standing, do a guard break!