1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Sarah’s flamingo stance is broke as f*ck.

Discussion in 'Sarah' started by Saiten, May 15, 2006.

1. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

You heard me. It’s broke as f*ck. There’s no way to beat it. This is why

1. Even if you side step her whiff kick still connects
    2. She cant be thrown while in that stance. NOBODY ELSE IN THE GAME HAS ANYTHING LIKE THAT
    3. You CANT defend against it. No matter if you blocking high or low she can still thow you from that dumb @$$ stance. And even worst her throws look like Kicks. Plus as far as I can tell it’s impossible to escape from her high/low throws THAT LOOK LIKE KICKS. That’s complete bull s#it.
    4. Last but not least, her floater kick leads into like a million f#cking hit combo. Half of your life bar is gone before you even the fucking ground.

Did SEGA fix this shit in VF5? Somebody please tell me they did. Her kicks in flamingo stance needs a hell of a lot more frames in them. Just about every kick she has beats P. HOW THE FU<K CAN ANY KICK BE FASTER THAN P!!!

I’M ABOUT READY TO BREAK THE MOTHER FU<KING GAME.

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Re: Sarah’s flamingo stance is broke as f*ck.

Annnnnd how long have you been playing VF? Shall I laugh now or later?

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i love ur sig /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    [ QUOTE ]
    Saiten said:

You heard me. It’s broke as f*ck. There’s no way to beat it. This is why

1. Even if you side step her whiff kick still connects
    2. She cant be thrown while in that stance. NOBODY ELSE IN THE GAME HAS ANYTHING LIKE THAT
    3. You CANT defend against it. No matter if you blocking high or low she can still thow you from that dumb @$$ stance. And even worst her throws look like Kicks. Plus as far as I can tell it’s impossible to escape from her high/low throws THAT LOOK LIKE KICKS. That’s complete bull s#it.
    4. Last but not least, her floater kick leads into like a million f#cking hit combo. Half of your life bar is gone before you even the fucking ground.

Did SEGA fix this shit in VF5? Somebody please tell me they did. Her kicks in flamingo stance needs a hell of a lot more frames in them. Just about every kick she has beats P. HOW THE FU<K CAN ANY KICK BE FASTER THAN P!!!

I’M ABOUT READY TO BREAK THE MOTHER FU<KING GAME.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flamingo is annoying but if you learn the facts about it you can manage to defend against it. First of all, you must understand that most moves that put Sarah into Flamingo (FL) leave her at advantage even if blocked. Read her command list to study up on her attacks.

1. You can evade most of her kicks in FL, you just got to know which direction and evade while the attack is coming. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. If she is standing in FL and doing nothing, you can throw her. But she really has no reason to stand still while in FL. /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. She has no low throws in FL. She has 2 throws from FL (which indeed look like she's going to kick you) but they have start up animation. With practice and training you can see them coming.

She can do a hit throw even if blocked after connecting with [K]+[G] which hits mid, but its not fast at all. She also has a hit throw with [2][K] if it hits which is low and comes out kinda fast.

4. Floater kick from FL? You prolly griping about Dragon Cannon([3][3][K]) which isn't done from FL. But yah, DC is a pain in the ass./versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

To finish up, if Sarah is in advantage during FL, her [K] will beat your [P] and [2][P] because its special high. Check this thread for more advice

Try not to whine and complain about moves and strats if you don't understand. There's nothing really broken in this game. Every tactic has a counter option(s). Knowing the options is key. Use the search function for any questions that come up as you play more.

5. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Re: Sarah?s flamingo stance is broke as f*ck.

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

i love ur sig /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd

/KiwE

6. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Has to be a joke. Just has to be. I've seen something similar before, when someone was crying about Jeffry being overpowered and impossible to beat...

7. nin

nin Well-Known Member

May I ask which character do you use?

Spend more time on the PS2 training mode maybe?

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

you can fuzzy guard sarah's flamingo and you're fine, she cannot play nitaku because all her throws are catch throws which cannot interrupt your crouching frames. [3][3][G] is ur best defense.

as for attacking, she's limited:

--> low P can beat anything of hers other than [K], or low p sabaki. ~~~

--> crouching can avoid everything other than [3][K],

---> if you have a high kick reversal, you can use it as a mixup.

sorted. u+k doesnt count well, because it's more of a gamble for her as she gets garanteed punishment, no need to fear it.

to be honest, the best advice against sarah is good distancing, and not to keep yourself constrained to close range flamingo. play at long range and make her whiff stance openings~ it varies between characters, but backdash ~ b+p with wolf is just golden~!

9. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Annnnnd how long have you been playing VF? Shall I laugh now or later?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing this game for about 2 or 3 years. I play on hard and yes her stance is broken.

[ QUOTE ]
    i love ur sig

[/ QUOTE ]

THanks.

[ QUOTE ]
    Flamingo is annoying but if you learn the facts about it you can manage to defend against it. First of all, you must understand that most moves that put Sarah into Flamingo (FL) leave her at advantage even if blocked. Read her command list to study up on her attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    See that's bull shit. Flamingo is sarah's main offense.
    [ QUOTE ]
    1. You can evade most of her kicks in FL, you just got to know which direction and evade while the attack is coming. &#65532;

[/ QUOTE ]

No you cant. How can I post a downloaded movie? You need to see this shit to believe it. Every time I dodge her wiff kick stil connects... or she just keeps kicking so I get hit anyway.
    [ QUOTE ]
    2. If she is standing in FL and doing nothing, you can throw her. But she really has no reason to stand still while in FL. &#65532;

[/ QUOTE ]

well duh! That's why it's impossible to throw her. As long as she's imputing attack's it's impossible to throw her. while on the other hand she CAN throw you.

forgive me if I sound offensive, but I'm mad right now

Oh yea I went to pratice mode and you wont believe what I'm about to say. THERE IS NO WAY TO THROW ESCAPE HER THROWS WHILE SHE'S IN FLAMINGO. Dont beleive me? Go to pratice and cut on the throw escape options. Nothing comes up. [now that I'm complaining about it, it might work just to spite me. =/]

[ QUOTE ]
    3. She has no low throws in FL. She has 2 throws from FL (which indeed look like she's going to kick you) but they have start up animation. With practice and training you can see them coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start up's too fast. Also it looks like a fake so I end up getting thrown by a IRREVERSIBLE throw. Now if your saying you can tell the difference from her BS throws and kicks in the heat of a tough battle you must be godly at this game.
    [ QUOTE ]
    She can do a hit throw even if blocked after connecting with &#65532;+&#65532; which hits mid, but its not fast at all. She also has a hit throw with &#65532;&#65532;if it hits which is low and comes out kinda fast.

[/ QUOTE ]
    it doesnt have to be fast. I cant attack after the motion, I'll still get thrown and I cant block either. it looks like a kick so by instinct I block. I dont even know it evade would work

[ QUOTE ]
    4. Floater kick from FL? You prolly griping about Dragon Cannon(&#65532;&#65532;&#65532;) which isn't done from FL. But yah, DC is a pain in the ass.&#65532;

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea it is and thanks to the fucked up physics on this game she can do a fucking 6 hit combo for half damage even if I have FULL health.
    [ QUOTE ]
    To finish up, if Sarah is in advantage during FL, her &#65532;will beat your &#65532;and &#65532;&#65532;because its special high. Check this thread for more advice

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how Do I beat it?

[ QUOTE ]
    Try not to whine and complain about moves and strats if you don't understand. There's nothing really broken in this game. Every tactic has a counter option(s). Knowing the options is key. Use the search function for any questions that come up as you play more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you can show me other wise I will contiune to think the game is broken. Not saying I dont beleive you but this is fucking stupid. I cant block, i cant evade, and i cant attack. how the fuck am I suppose to win against it?

And there's other things that's broke in this game as well. (like kage's TFT but I'll save that for another topic)

[ QUOTE ]
    Has to be a joke. Just has to be. I've seen something similar before, when someone was crying about Jeffry being overpowered and impossible to beat...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a joke. And in that other persons defense his character may just have a bad match up with Jeffery. That'll naturally make things harder from the get go.

Jeffery does have some really strong throws. heck som of them take down 1/4 health bar. And on a game that emphasizes throws you dont think he needs just a tad bit of damage scalling?

No game is perfectly made. YES some things are broken in VF, it's just not as bad compaired to other games.

[ QUOTE ]
    May I ask which character do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aoi. The only thing that even gives me a chance is Tenchi in'you and I cant over use that cuz I'll get thrown.

[ QUOTE ]
    Spend more time on the PS2 training mode maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea that would help but it still wouldnt fix the unfair advantage she as. Throwing is a major part of VF. And since Sarah cant be thrown it takes away from a MAJOR part of, not only my game, ANYBODY'S game that plays against her. Plus her kicks beat most attacks. That's just not right.

Like I said before, somebody please tell me she's fixed in VF5?

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

read my post~

EDIT: if she gets a mid kick blocked or goes for a catch throw, you can go for a giant launcher., her flamingo doesnt encourage guard. and her next poke will be crushed.

there's reward for u.

11. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

I'll go to pratice and try that out. then I'll try it out against the computer. I'll get back to you with the results.

I hope to god that what you posted stops her...

12. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

you can fuzzy guard sarah's flamingo and you're fine, she cannot play nitaku because all her throws are catch throws which cannot interrupt your crouching frames. [3][3][G] is ur best defense.

as for attacking, she's limited:

--> low P can beat anything of hers other than [K], or low p sabaki. ~~~

--> crouching can avoid everything other than [3][K],

---> if you have a high kick reversal, you can use it as a mixup.

sorted. u+k doesnt count well, because it's more of a gamble for her as she gets garanteed punishment, no need to fear it.

to be honest, the best advice against sarah is good distancing, and not to keep yourself constrained to close range flamingo. play at long range and make her whiff stance openings~ it varies between characters, but backdash ~ b+p with wolf is just golden~!

[/ QUOTE ]

-Havent tried fuzzy guard yet. I’ll get back too you. ’
    -I have high and mid reversal. If I guess wrong I will take damage. And it doenst matter how I guess on a throw.
    -a smart Sarah will close the distance. There’s not too many times that I was able to create any space. 44 (backdash) sucks. If you 44 at close range you’ll still be hit.

I just went into practice and here’s all the moves that connect even when ducking.

Kkk
    PK goes in to flamingo
    KK2K
    2k (beats your 2p)
    2k,PG (can be guarded low so throw isn’t possible) THANK GOD!
    3k (beats your 2p)
    8k (beats your 2p)
    gk
    8pk
    2gk
    6gk
    [ QUOTE ]
    EDIT: if she gets a mid kick blocked or goes for a catch throw, you can go for a giant launcher., her flamingo doesnt encourage guard. and her next poke will be crushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

-I already said all her attacks beats out mine. (I’ve already tried that)
    -I never know when catch throw is coming since it looks like a kick. =/

*note* I havent tried none of this against the computer yet. I'm just posting tha stuff I tried in pratice first.

13. stealth_fox

stealth_fox Active Member

You know BK was trying to tell you something when he said he liked ur sig...

Have you ever played Sarah in quest mode? The AI shows you how to deal with flamingo. As people have said before, you can dodge almost all her moves from flamingo, [2][K]+[G] and [2]/[8][P]+[K] are the only undodgable moves that I remeber atm, and a few other moves can only be dodged by evading to the specific side. You can also duck a lot of her moves, in fact I just started using [3][K] from flamingo because I was starting to get pissed that the AI was ducking all my moves.

Flamingo broke? Its hella good, but it has its drawbacks as well. Play some certain 2D fighters if you want to see the real meaning of 'broke'.

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hi, sorry, you missunderstood~

backdash when you already have free space, i mean using a distance game in general, good spacing and guessing. when you feel ur opponent will close in, backdash with a long range attack and she'll whiff and take damage~ its just a good game suggestion VS sarah if you want to avoid close range flamingo guessing~

[ QUOTE ]
    I just went into practice and here’s all the moves that connect even when ducking.

Kkk
    PK goes in to flamingo
    KK2K
    2k (beats your 2p)
    2k,PG (can be guarded low so throw isn’t possible) THANK GOD!
    3k (beats your 2p)
    8k (beats your 2p)
    gk
    8pk
    2gk
    6gk

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean duck with guard, not duck with attack~

her K is a special high, so it will beat out low attacks but you can duck without an attack to avoid~ duck under a string or move, and intterupt with a fast jab after her move has whiffed. ~ best to use [3][3] ~~[G] as you can duck and rise quick with a followup~ you'll see what i mean.

strings dont count either because you have time guard to intterup before it gets to the 3rd kick

[ QUOTE ]
    -I already said all her attacks beats out mine. (I’ve already tried that)
    -I never know when catch throw is coming since it looks like a kick. =/

*note* I havent tried none of this against the computer yet. I'm just posting tha stuff I tried in pratice first.

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean during her flamingo stance, she has moves which put her at disadvantage, if you block those, then she cannot win her next followup, it's an opening for you to counter attack. ~~~ if you cannot go for a big launcher, go for a smaller elbow.

and her catch throw wont be seen, it will be a choice between an attack. which means you guess~ VF is choice guessing, it's not broken, it's what keeps the game not broken.~~ *there's always an alternative way a situation could have gone*

but as i said before, fuzzy guard (in the guarding exercises in trial training mode) will counteract flamingo nicely

15. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You know BK was trying to tell you something when he said he liked ur sig...

Have you ever played Sarah in quest mode? The AI shows you how to deal with flamingo. As people have said before, you can dodge almost all her moves from flamingo, + and /+ are the only undodgable moves that I remeber atm, and a few other moves can only be dodged by evading to the specific side. You can also duck a lot of her moves, in fact I just started using from flamingo because I was starting to get pissed that the AI was ducking all my moves.

Flamingo broke? Its hella good, but it has its drawbacks as well. Play some certain 2D fighters if you want to see the real meaning of 'broke'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me what? Perfect defense is what I strive for. I’m not talking about other games. They have nothing to do with this game. I realize that out of all the fighting games VF is the most even.

====================================
    ====================================

Since some question my game playing abilities I’ll post my stats

I play quest mode on standard and arcade mode on hard
    My rank:
    Veteran
    Win/loses 847/435

Data from matches won

High level atatack success rate 49.1%
    Mid level attack success rate 47.1%
    Low level attack success rate 43.1%

High level block success rate 48.1%
    Mid Level block success rate 45.5%
    Low level block success rate 16.1% (My weakest area, I know! =/)

Throws attempts
    Neutral direction high throw attempts 48.4%
    <= high throw attempts 29.3%
    => high throw attempts 1.8%
    “back down direction†high throw attempts 19%
    “forward down direction†high throw attempts 1.5%
    “down direction†low throw attempts 1.5%
    “back down direction†low throw attempts 0%

Throw Success rate
    Neutral direction high success rate 92.4%
    <= high high success rate 96.2%
    => high high success rate 100%
    “back down direction†high success rate 92.3%
    “forward down direction†high success rate 100%
    “down direction†low high success rate 0%
    “back down direction†low success rate 100%

Other thow success rate 100%
    Throw escape rate 8.9% (I’ve gotten better at this just recently)

Data from matches lost

High level atatack success rate 45.1%
    Mid level attack success rate 33.7%
    Low level attack success rate 29.9%

High level block success rate 31.4%
    Mid Level block success rate 33.2%
    Low level block success rate 12.5% (My weakest area, I know! =/)

Throws attempts
    Neutral direction high throw attempts 69%
    <= high throw attempts 8.6%
    => high throw attempts 3.4%
    “back down direction†high throw attempts 19%
    “forward down direction†high throw attempts 0%
    “down direction†low throw attempts 0%
    “back down direction†low throw attempts 0%

Throw Success rate
    Neutral direction high success rate 87.5%
    <= high high success rate 80%
    => high high success rate 100%
    “back down direction†high success rate 81.8%
    “forward down direction†high success rate 0%
    “down direction†low high success rate 0%
    “back down direction†low success rate 0%

Other thow success rate 95.5%
    Throw escape rate 3.7% (I’ve gotten better at this just recently)

Win/lose by character
    Akira 65/25 72%
    sarah 60/40 60%
    Lau 45/39 53.6%
    Shun-di 65/22 74.7%
    Jeffery 55/27 67.1%
    Pai 62/40 60.8%
    Jacky 50/29 63.3%
    Kage 48/31 60.8%
    Lion 59/25 70.2%
    Wolf 52/27 65.8%
    Aoi 58/13 81.7%
    Lei-fei 58/42 58%
    Vanessa 54/23 70.1%
    Goh 55/16 77.5%
    Brad 61/36 62.9%

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Defense thread

i'll stick the vids back online later~ bare with me~

17. Saiten

Saiten Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

Defense thread

i'll stick the vids back online later~ bare with me~

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok thanks. How do you get Your saved replays off your PS2 and on to the coomputer? I'd like for ya'll to see my matches too. (for Critique of course)

18. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i use a USB capture device from PS2 composite to PC USB~~

just one wire :p~

19. nin

nin Well-Known Member

I am using AOi too..I dont found a problem against FL myself, YY stance is a good choice, it can deal with most of her FL moves but lose to her throws. But at the end of day it's about reading your oponent's habit.

A starting point might be: crouch guard first and then stand guard( this refer as fuzzy guard), the crouch guard part will let u duck under her special kick & throw & guard the low kick. Then you can punish her wiffed throw or high kick. If she starts a mid attack, you will guard it with your standing guard, and from there you will have the advantage.

Seond point of advice: The multiple kicks in FL are not force guard moves. It means you can move after guarding the first kick. Assuming your opp. like to do the full string, you can Try this: block the first hit of the chain, then go into YY stance and inashi her attacks, and you are most likely to get a 44P+K after the inashi. It's need a bit of practice tho.

Cheers.

20. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Re: Sarah’s flamingo stance is broke as f*ck.

Understand something. You're playing the CPU.... the cpu READS INPUTS. YOU CANNOT FOOL THE CPU. Playing quest mode gives a close emulation of human responses, but YOU CANNOT FOOL THE CPU. (especially on harder difficulty)