1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SEGA Replies to the Console Petition

Discussion in 'General' started by Myke, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [​IMG]
    On the 19th of May 2010 Kamaage received an official reply in the mail from SEGA in regards to our petition to port the latest version of Virtua Fighter to console.

By way of reminder, we rallied together with the Japanese community -- thanks to Kamaage's effort -- to send SEGA a document containing information about our community along with our personalised messages and requests for the latest VF on console. Our ambitious target was to send SEGA a 500 page document. When it was all said and done, VFDC managed to put together a document weighing in at 413 (A4) pages. With contributions from Kamaage's site, the final delivery count was at 509 pages.

Below is a translation of SEGA's reply to our document (thanks to Reno for the translation!) And as promised, you can download the original document as it was sent to Kamaage.

Download » VF5R Console Proposal by VFDC - Round 2 (2.4 MB)

Ellis likes this.
  2. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Funny that's what we hope to do too...

Thanks to everyone who worked on this.

3. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Nice to hear something.

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Trust L_A

5. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Sega, I know you don't always treat me right but it's my fault, I haven't been as good to you as I could be. Please forgive me, Sega... I still love you [​IMG]

Lol, thanks to VF, I'm Sega's bitch XD

Ellis likes this.
  6. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I didn't know what to feel when I read this line. I thought maybe I should cry, get angry or just give up hope. How can we support something we may never get to see or play unless we visit Japan?

But then someone said something that I believed in... Trust L_A!

He has never been wrong so far, so I'll continue to believe in him. If he says it's coming... it's coming!

Ellis likes this.
  7. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"On the other hand, we have received numerous demands from our fans for a console version of the game, but as of yet have not explored that scenario at this time due to the various conditions surrounding the home console market."</div></div>

What does this mean???

What are the "various conditions"???

The only condition I have, as a fan, is that SEGA lets me BUY the game from them. Doesn't seem like too much to ask. Why won't they just commit to making a console version? It makes no sense at all.

8. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

It's not that simple Gernburgs.

9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Well clearly. Can't think why though. what am i missing? I'm hoping they're just waiting for an oppurtunity to make a big announcement.

It's an improvement though. He said "overseas" or something to that effect, so we have confirmation that they know there are VF fans outside of Japan. Anything less than giving us something is a spit in the face.

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yes, them recognizing our existence is a start.

Ellis likes this.
  11. ironzen

ironzen Well-Known Member

lol, has it occurred to any of you that sega may just not want to give a console release announcement over a letter.

12. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

There's not much to moan about imo, at least they responded it's more than we got when we was asking them for R. I'd guess that a console release is likely after this, if there's no plans I doubt they would have gave any response at all.

Thanks to kamaage, Myke and everyone else that made this happen.

13. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    100% agree [​IMG]

Ellis likes this.
  14. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Are we abandoned again??

15. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza

I doubt it. I think it's more of the case that Sega is expressing their poker face on this issue and isn't willing to show its hand just yet.

Kruza

16. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I just find it kind of awkward to "hope us to show our support to the game" when the game isnt available anywhere outside Japan in either arcade or console.. Thats asking a lot.

The only fighting game further behind in progress than VF is dead or alive and we know that ship has come to its final rest.. That vanilla VF5 doesnt have online mode on PS3 is major..

*with weary voice* But I will continue to show my support to Sega
    wooo hooo *waves a small sega flag*

17. FrakimusGrime

FrakimusGrime Well-Known Member

Im not sure what to make of the letter. But i will trust L A

18. Xzyx987X

Xzyx987X Well-Known Member

All in all I think this turned out as well as can be expected. Although we didn't get a definite yes (and realistically that was never going to happen), we let Sega know that a market for an updated VF5 console release exists, and we gave them a lot of feedback regarding what they could do to make it a success. The ball is in their court now, so we'll see what happens.

19. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

eh, lemme know when there's an announcement. kind of a bullshit reply to something that the community put quite a lot of effort into.

20. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

"Virtua Fighter 5 is not possible to be played online" - someone from AM2 talking about PS3 version of VF5 in 2007.

"Virtua Fighter for the 360 will be playable online" - another personfrom AM2 just a few months later talking about the 360 version.
    _______

Speaking to TVG during the 2007 Leipzig Game Convention, AM2's Tohru Murayama confirmed that a patch to update the PlayStation 3 version of Virtua Fighter 5 was possible.

During the interview, which is due to go live later today, Murayama-san announced that online functionality had been dropped for the PS3 edition because AM2 wanted to released Virtua Fighter 5 onto the system quickly.

Asked whether it was possible that a patch could be released at a later date in order to instate the function, the AM2 Assistant Manager confirmed, "No doubt."

And then a few months later:

Sega of America Inc. on Wed. said that it will not be possible to add online play to Virtua Fighter 5 for Sony Corp.’s Playstation 3.

In a statement, the company said that specifications for online title updates were not yet finalized and were unable to be included in the title. As a result, releasing an online update to enable online versus play is not possible.
    _____

At this point the PR people at Sega know less about VF5FS and its console releases than LA_Akira and another half dozen members at VFDC. Sega should have just kept their response to themselves until the official console announcements.