1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun's setups

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Gefen, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Gefen

Gefen New Member

Yo, actually i'm new to shun, and don't even have vf5 at home, only evo for the moment. but now some of my friends got ps3 with vf5 so I try to adjust somehow to the new game (and on pad since i don't have ps3 stick yet ><).
    Since i go with a new controller this time i decided to pick a new character (shun right?) instead of my old stick character (Vennesa).
    What always draw my attention to him was the brain fuck potential with him, with his stance and such. anyway i can't confirm a thing now, so i just play with the theory. and as i know, VF5 is already kinda old, so forgive if i talk about old stuff or already known.

the first thing i thought about was /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif(stance, forgot the name =\), /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - this seems like a nice throw setup (does is escapable?), but haven't found yet a good mid to mix it up with, and when they can crouch and do back throw, it's gotta be one hell of a mid..

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, throw, seems nice to when u can mix it with the 2nd /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, any flaws here?

i though about playing with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif(hold) and mix it with a throw or a follow up, but it seems that it can be counter with a simple jab, anything?

Anyway i think you got the idea already, your opinions would be appreciated.

2. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    as far as going into handstand from strings, just try it against people. you'll find out what works and what doesn't. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is an ok mixup with throw, but a good fuzzier can beat both options. if you have enough frame advantage, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif could be a good option.

I don't think you recover fast enough to do a throw after 2/8 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, especially since you really can't delay the second /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. it's an odd situation though, so use moves with weird properties to mess him up.

lastly, there is no /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (hold) move, unless you mean [_f]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (hold forward and press /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif), the move that has the delayable special high /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif that knocks down on CH. if you mean /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, the move gives you advantage even on block, so the catch-throw/mid mix-up isn't too bad (but you have to learn the timing of the catch-throw). If you meant the other kick, then simply look at the frame data.

Learn how to read frame data if you haven't already. It will tell you every situation where it's viable to pressure the guy with a throw/mid mix up, and when it's not.

Welcome to the boards ;3

3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

good post ladon, taught me new stuff about the old bastard. A good shun player tends to have his way with me since he can mix so much stuff up. Learning to read frame charts is single handedly the most important thing for improving your game quickly. Sure you can learn it all from trail and error, but it'll take you longer.

4. samtheseed

samtheseed Well-Known Member

PSN:
    The_Beggar_So
    XBL:
    Shun is Drunk
    " /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif" also " /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif" You can use it against your friends that are pushy and like sticking close.

But i find that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a better option to get into the handstance stance. Especially since I like particularly abusing canceling after the second punch and going for a grab.

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I believe the original reason why Shuns go into handstand after that string, is to avoid losing a drunken point which follows if Shun falls down afterthe string on his own. Especially if you use this string as part of aircombo. Not because handstand is particularly good.

6. MystD

MystD Well-Known Member

Yea using 3PP P+K+G will lead to you eating any hit if your opponent is still standing.

7. MystD

MystD Well-Known Member

I mean 3PPK P+K+G

8. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    You can even delay the PKG at the end but it's not that useful. Once in awhile I do it when I have a feeling that it might trick the opponent. It looks like Shun lies down and then all of a sudden he goes into handstand.

--Below is from a scenario I posted in the Good Games thread but I thought it should be in here--

My new favorite drink scenario is while the opponent is lying on the ground I do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif (Sou BT) for 2 drinks, then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for another drink which usually then draws a high rising kick from the opponent in which it goes over my drinking head, then from Sou I do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, then rinse and repeat the entire scenario for more drinks and hits.

9. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    OMG JESSE! your AVATAR IS ALL THAT AND A BAG O CHIPS!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

10. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    does this work against all characters high rising attacks?

oh yeah, TRANSFORMERS FTW!!

11. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    Only if they truly are high, not mid. And the spacing also comes into play. I don't think it works as well at point blank range.

And Flash - thanks! It's from the episode Call of the Primitives. Have you ever seen that one? It's animated from a different company and was in the 3rd season. It kicks ass!

12. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    watchin it on youtube now. WOW! SHIT IS AWESOME! and wtf, the animation is 10X better than the regular episodes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

13. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    For some reason Marvel/Sunbow wanted to give one episode to a production company called TMS (Tokyo Movie Shinsha) who, back in the day, had by far the best team of Japanese animators around. Some of the TMS members even worked with Toei (the normal company) to produce the movie.

Saying Toei wasn't as good as TMS isn't really fair however because they are top notch as well. My guess is that TMS was given just slightly a higher budget for that episode, OR, it could be the budget was the same but they just wanted to show everyone what they could do.

TMS was responsible for Lupin, Bionic Six, a lot of Disney stuff, and a show with the best Saturday morning animation of all time, The Mighty Orbots. The Mighty Orbots kinda sucked, but check that out on youtube as well. The intro alone is enought to make your eyes drool!

14. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    What high rising attacks? (they hit mid)

15. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Kind of what i meant. As in one hits low, sweeps etc. and one hits higher, sorry for the confusion

16. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    You're right, I guess I was thinking about the ones that can be reversed which are like side kicks. Shun's aforementioned scenario won't go under those.

I'm trying to think when those happen. Isn't it face up head towards?