1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Side Turn Meaties

Discussion in 'Eileen' started by Tricky, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I want to compose a list of combos and set ups that allow for you to set up side turn hits on oki. For those that don't know, it's a meaty attack that when blocked or on NH, results in a side hit instead of a front hit. It's very powerful as you can put someone back on the ground after a NH from Side Turn. I am going to update this thread so we can compile all the different ways Eileen can set this up. Some of it might get character specific, so this isn't really a beginner friendly topic. I will be looking for as many universal set ups as possible though.

Here's one I found that I understand well enough to share. All meaties are easiest to test if you set CPU to tech roll and CH. You'll know you did the meaty right if you get a NH. If you get a CH you were too late.

On Sarah if you do:

CH 3P+K > 2P > 6P+KPPP

if Sarah tech rolls to eileen's back (aka toward her front leg) then you can meaty with 3K and make sarah side turn for +13 or +12 depending on your timing. If you do 3K and it whiffs you're doing it too early. If you do 3K and you get a regular meaty then you're doing it too late.

If Sarah tech rolls to where eileen's stomach was before you started the combo (aka her front) then you will need to actually use a different combo to change YOUR foot position at the end of the combo such that you can use 3K to side hit again. The moral of the story with 3K is that your leading foot needs to be on the same side of the screen as your opponent's tech roll. Otherwise you get a regular meaty.

The altered combo is :

CH 3P+K > 2P > 6P+KP > 214K+G

Also remember that from +12 on side hit, all your 15f exe mids are unblockable so you can do 3PP to put them right back on the ground.

After 3PP from side hit, the same rules apply. To hit with 3K side hit, your leading leg needs to be toward the tech rollers side you were on, and your leading leg needs to be in the direction of the tech.

I'll add more as I find them. Lets break this tech wide open guys!

Things found since this post:

[from pkgjimmy]
    another setup, but the timing is tricky, you need to input "266(wait a litte bit)3K"
    and I found 2443P+K is easier. forgive my english, video explain

[from evenpit]

Tested with, Set CPU ON Counter Hit
    Side Roll/back
    Rising Speed fastest
    Fall recovery Side roll/back (exact)
    Ok from starting distance do [8>This should give you +12 side hit meaty.

This works on AKIRA (+11 to +12) PAi (only +11), JACKY (+11 to +12), WOLF and JEFFRY (loose timing you can just throw it out there with no delay and it'll hit +12).

Does not work on TAKA, EILEEN, AOI, SHUN, EL BLAZE

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Chanchai and EvenPit like this.
  2. Tipzntrix

Tipzntrix Well-Known Member

So can you only side-turned meaty if they tech roll? And it's not unblockable is it?

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yes they have to tech roll or tech in place. They can block, but they cannot evade. If you have a move that is + on block it's a great way to set up your offence after knock down.

4. Tipzntrix

If they block 3K even sideturned, it's - for you though right? The +12 or +13 is only when you hit?

Man if you set the computer to block or CH, it never blocks this 3K after the tech roll, lol

5. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    If it's set to mimic it should block the attack sideturned. The only time you can't block is when there is a setup that leaves you backturned on tech.

6. Tricky

I like to mixup the meaty with zenk throw. You have all the time you need to set up the zenk, all you need to do is make your timing right so the throw lands on them as they get up. Your opponent still has to deal with possible zenk P too, or zenk K if you're scared to risk the whiffed throw. 3K is where you can instill fear, then the rest builds from there.

7. PKGJimmy

PKGJimmy Active Member

PSN:
    PKG48EILEEN
    XBL:
    JimmyPKG
    another setup, but the timing is tricky, you need to input "266(wait a litte bit)3K"
    and I found 2443P+K is easier. forgive my english, video explain

Tricky and HomebredTripod like this.
  8. Tipzntrix

Looks like the KD setup here is CH 3P > 214K+G. I would assume anything that ended in 214K+G from the ground would work, though that's actually not that many combos. Usually you're hitting 214K+G off launches or ground bounces. I know Tricky likes to fish for this after 6P+G6 though.

9. Tricky

it's not a fish it damage that unavoidable. That's the only guaranteed thing man.

10. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Tricky it works better if you set the CPU to Defensive move and Tech Roll on knockdown. That way you can see just how many different meatie attacks you can find or you can find a move which works better. If it fails.. its a evade...

Tricky likes this.
  11. Tricky

Isn't the window the same as for meaties the same for defensive move and attacking?

12. Tipzntrix

Yeah, actually now that I think about it, that makes sense. I guess 6P elbow is guaranteed too though, right?

13. SDS_Overfiend1

Probably Not but if your opponent attack he deserves to get hit. Atleast with Evade you know you are really landing a meaty rather than just stuffing your opponent.

14. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    There are frames on tech were you can't evade but can still attack. Because of this it's possible to time an attack and force the opponent to block without the attack being meaty. I suppose the best way to check if it's truly meaty or not is with the frame display.

15. Tricky

With the CH setting if you do the meaty right you don't get the CH flash you get a NH like if you stuffed someone's evade. If you are too slow you end up getting a CH flash. The window is the same, it's just easier to test using CH imo.

16. SDS_Overfiend1

I see what your saying....

17. Tipzntrix

Aight, I did some testing with PKGJimmy's setup.

The 266 is unnecessary before the 3K. He used it to properly time his meaty, but it is possible to get the side meaty without the evade and dash inputs if you prefer. I tested on Akira, Vanessa, and Jeff and it works on them, so it seems to be character universal. The stance restrictions still apply for 3K, but for 43P+K it doesn't matter which stance you're in. One thing to note is that the frame advantage for 43P+K can be as low as +9 on side hit, which doesn't lead into the same side hit combos as 3K.

Other combos I found that work:

CH 3P+K > 2P > 6P+KPP so it doesn't seem to be Sarah only

18. Tricky

43P+K on NH leads to combo all on it's own, it doesn't even need to be sideturn. You always get 214K+G or 236KKK on any 43P+K hit. From sideturn it gives you the same kinda oki situation if they tech too. You can get them sideturn again and again.

What is nice about 43P+K though is that you can cancel it into 214PP which can only be stopped by ducking (from sideturn). I'm not sure about when it's landed as a meaty sideturn hit though. I feel like the 214PP would be guanrateed. In that case after 214PP you can go into 236KKK if they don't duck after the 214PP have hit.

Another sick mixup could be to stance cancel into monkey walk 6P+K+G after 214PP (assuming it's guanrateed from 43P+K sidehit meaty) and mix up the mid hitting Kicks which knockdown, with the sweep.

Tipzntrix likes this.
  19. Tipzntrix

I feel like it is very hard to hit confirm the cancel moves when landing 43P+K and I kind of have to guess beforehand, whereas the 3K followups are links that I can hit confirm more easily.

20. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    From messing around, in that situation id say zenk flip [K] or zenk [P] mixed with zenk [P][+][G] are better for oki/meaties.

Her [8][P][+][K][+][G] [P][P][P] or [K] are great to be used as meaties. Both attacks are exactly the same speed, which creates a fairly free 50/50 mixup. The [P][P][P] is delayble and confirmable too.