1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting out with Akira

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Modelah, Sep 27, 2013.

By Modelah on Sep 27, 2013 at 7:28 AM
  1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Note: This was written by Joseph and translated by Modelah.

Joseph's VF5FS Beginner's Blog post

Hello everyone, I play Virtua Fighter as Joseph (but you can call me JoJo, too).
    I've been playing VF for about 14 years now, and have been competing for the past 7 years or so. I've never swayed from my main character, Akira.

Akira's Charactersitics, Strengths and Weaknesses
    Akira's appeal lies in the destructiveness of his attacks and overall coolness factor. Being quite different from the rest of the VF cast, he can be daunting for new players to pick up. However, once you get used to how he works you'll be able to unlock his overwhelming attacking power. In this version of VF, he's generally thought of as 'the strongest character', for reasons I will outline below.

It will take some time to use Akira efficiently. He has some high-damage combos that can be difficult to pull off. The combos listed here are entry level combos, so let's start there.

Basic Skills
    Elbow class:
    [3][P]: A common elbow. A simple input. Speedy, and good to use for quick retaliation.
    [6][6][P]: Better in terms of damage, reach and frame advantage when compared to the above. Its overall property is also better than other character's elbows, and even on normal hit can force nitaku against crouching opponents (translation note: he does not mention crouching specifically, but that can be assumed based on the frame data) making it a highly efficient elbow attack.
    [4][6][P]: A high combo starter that leaves Akira at +1 on block! Also mainly used to counterattack when at +14~15. Overall, a versatile technique that can be used as abare when at disadvantage or calculated attack when at advantage.
    Combos:
    [4][6][P], [P], [3][K][+][G][P][4][6][6][P][+][K] -for characters up to Akira's weight. Only works when Akira, Jacky and Jean are in open foot position.
    [4][6][P], [P], [6][6][K][K] -for all characters except Taka
    [4][6][P], [K][+][G][P] -for Taka​

Upper class:
    [6][6][6][P]: A staple move key to Akira's offense. Disadvantage is small on guard, knocks down on normal hit and can lead into 80+ damage combos on counter hit. I love cooking opponents with this!The only drawback: It doesn't hit backdashers at all so be wary against players who employ it.
    Combos (CH):
    [6][6][6][P], dash[2][P], [6][K][+][G][P][4][6][6][P][+][K] -for all characters except Taka
    [6][6][6][P], dash[2][K][+][G][P], [6][6][K][K] -for all characters except Taka
    [6][6][6][P], [K][+][G][P] -for Taka​

[2_][3][P][+][K]: aka 'Maho'. Staggers on hit, allowing for follow-up attacks. A shoulder attack that is particularly useful against opponnents who try to sabaki strikes. Another strong point; when using it as abare at disadvantage, it blows through certain moves so I get a lot of "wtf was that, you gotta be kidding me" from my opponents. This can help keep opponents honest, they won't be able to just attack at will. Be wary, it leaves Akira at a big disadvantage on block and whiff.

Knee class:
    [K][+][G](release [G] within 1 frame) aka 'Doppo'. Akira's knee attack that leads to combos on NH. Execute by pressing [K][+][G] at the same time then releasing [G] shortly after (kinda tricky). Just keep practicing until you get the hang of it. An interesting note about this move; unlike other character's knee launchers that are -15 on block (elbow-class attack counterable) Akira's Doppo knee is only -13 (so most of the time only [P][K] is guaranteed), perhaps as a reward for the complex input.
    Combos:
    [K][+][G](release [G] within 1 frame), [6][K][P], [6][6][K][K]
    -for characters up to Akira's weight.
    [K][+][G](release [G] within 1 frame), [P], [3][K][+][G][P][4][6][6][P][+][K]
    -for Wolf and Jeffry. For Taka, omit [P].
    Circular attacks:
    [4][6][P][+][K]: A two-handed attack attack that covers Akira's stomach and stuffs sabaki attempts. It pushes to opponents to Akira's back and if it causes a wall hit you can follow up with extra hits like [6][6][K][K] and [2_][6][P][P] for greater damage.

[4][6][P][+][K][+][G]: Covers Akira's back and side-turns the opponent. Allows for Akira's best side turn attacks against all characters (more on that later), and can be considered one of Akira's most important tools.
    * Both of these moves put you at a small disadvantage when guarded but will leave you wide open if evaded.

Throws:
    Akira has a variety of throws but there are only 2 you really need;
    [4][6][P][+][G] for big damage, and
    [6][4][P][+][G] which is 15 points of damage by itself, but when followed with a combo becomes one of the most powerful throws of all the characters!
    Combos:
    [6][4][P][+][G], [2][K][+][G][P], [P], [K][+][G][P] -for characters up to Shun's weight.
    [6][4][P][+][G], [2][K][+][G][P], [K][+][G][P] -for characters up to Akira's weight.
    [6][4][P][+][G], [2][K][+][G][P][P] -for all characters except Taka.
    [6][4][P][+][G], [2_][3][P][+][K] -for Taka (yeah, cheap).​
    There are many other character-specific combos of varying degrees of difficulty that I've omitted here. Some characters may be able to tech-roll out of those combos so for the time being you should get used to using the above examples.

Other useful moves
    [6][P][+][K][+][G]: aka 'Kaiko'. A high-guard breaking move that makes Akira such a threat in VF5FS. On hit it breaks through a guarding opponent's defences creating enough advantage for moves like [4][6][P] (see above) to connect. The 'Yutori' or Lazy Throw Escape (LTE) is a popular and extremely versatile defense technique and this is the move that eats it raw, cementing Akira at the top of the highest tier in the game as far as I'm concerned. It's range is pretty short, but it's fast; it's impossible to deal with even if the opponent sees it coming. This move is an awesome weapon in Akira's arsenal.

[2][P][+][K][+][G]: aka 'Gekiho'. Another guard break like 'Kaiko'. The major difference is that this one hits mid, and if it misses only has the same frames as [P](???). Howver, hitting this on a sideturned opponent is where this move really shines. Without going into too much detail, basically attacks from the side increase your frame advantage when compared to attacks to the front and guard breaks are no exception. Hitting Gekiho from the front only gives you enough advantage for [P] whereas hitting it from the side would allow you to get in a knee-class attack. Here's a reliable Gekiho combo:
    [2][P][+][K][+][G](on sideturned opponent), [3][K][+][G][P][+][K] to float the opponent, then hit [3][K][+][G][P][4][6][6][P][+][K] ([6][6][K][K] for Taka).​
    Hitting [4][6][P][+][K][+][G] and escaping your opponent's throw attempts are good opportunities for you to get into the sideturned game. With this move, your sideturned opponent's yutori defense will crumble, turning him or her into a lamb destined for slaughter... well, I'll share some lamb recipes with you later, I guess. A word of caution though, if it hits anything except for a guard (NH or CH) from the front, the disadvantage is so great the opponent can even attempt to throw you.

[3][P][+][K][+][G][4][3][P][+][K][2][1][4] or [2][3][6][P][6][4] or [4][6][P][+][K]: aka 'Toryū'. Just looking at the commands brings on a headache but this is also another guard break! Unlike Kaiko and Gekiho, during the first stage where contact is made with the opponent's standing guard inputting the following commands causes the attack to come out as a string(???). Highly damaging and awesome-looking, this is another highly-recommended mainstay technique.

When to employ the guard breaks:​
    • Kaiko is a straightforward input, you can use it on the spur of the moment or when the opponent's defense freezes as you dash in to apply pressure.
    • Gekiho is best applied from the side as outlined above.
    • Toryū's range is longer and should be used when Kaiko won't reach the opponent, but will leave you vulnerable if it is evaded or whiffs.
    Basic Strategy
    Akira is a character with a lot of one-shot moves and doesn't really require a complex attack approach. Try this:
    Start off with [P], and then [6][6][P], a throw or [6][P][+][K][+][G] and repeat.
    Even when you guard the opponent's attack, it's [6][6][P], a throw or [6][P][+][K][+][G]. Learning the opponent's moves can come later.
    Even if your opponent's [2][P] hits you, it's [6][6][P], a throw or [6][P][+][K][+][G].
    Train yourself to be able to repeat this attack style without hestitation. This is fundamental to using Akira.

Application of the above techniques:
    • Hitconfirm [6][6][P] to take advantage of when the move hits and lessen the risk when the move is guarded. As above, [6][6][P](hit),then go for a throw or [6][P][+][K][+][G]. If [6][6][P] is guarded or evaded, employ a yutori (LTE) defense or abare with [P][K].
    • Change [6][6][P] to [6][6][6][P] in order to get more damage. [6][6][P] is a mid with an easy input and allows you to press the advantage, the risk is low but unfrotunately so are the returns. [6][6][6][P] is somewhat trickier to do but on counter hit can lead to more damaging combos. Once you get used to it you should make this a part of your offense, too.
    • [4][6][P] after [6][P][+][K][+][G] takes advantage of Akira's strengths. As I mentioned before, Kaiko is an immensely powerful tool, you should get into the habit of using it as soon as possible. As it's difficult to input after the guard break, be sure to buffer [4][6][P] as soon as Kaiko contacts the oponent's guard. After [4][6][P] hits follow with a combo, all you have to do is learn the combos and train your reactions.
    Just to point out again, Akira's fundamental strategy should ideally revolve around:

1. Aiming for a counterhit off [6][6][6][P] to lead into combos
    2. Throws
    3. Breaking the opponent's guard.

And that really just about sums it up. I think his other moves are really nothing more than a means to end (OK, maybe a slight overstatement there). As for the uses of other moves and techniques, you should get the basics I've outlined here down first and slowly work up from there.

Joseph

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    ZBEP, Ylyon, Tricky and 16 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Modelah, Sep 27, 2013.

1. YOMI
      YOMI
      Nitaku from +4? Or did he mean when it hits crouching, which every other character shares too?
      Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    2. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      Wow that would be nice to have some Akira impressions from Joseph himself ^^
      I'm also confused about DE info :confused:
    3. BlackGeneral
      BlackGeneral
      I was saying that myself... Wonder if that was poorly written by him or a mistranslation.

Big Ups to @Modelah for translating this. Hopefully we can get into the mind of the worlds best AK through this.
    4. YOMI
      YOMI
      Well I guess it's technically possible to nitaku from +4 with Akira since his DE is a 13f mid, but I still have very much doubt about anybody getting it to actually execute in 13 frames reliably and consistently, buffering it from a P for instance causes it to be 14f no matter how fast you input 66.
    5. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      Its not really that hard as long as you got a hit- or blockstun to buffer it from..
    6. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      It is possible to do make it 13 frames. Making sde 15 is also possible but pretty hard. There's something about that on the 2afc site. The setup is 214p into SDE that should beat low P. It seems to explain that the first 6 input should be buffered before the 10 (12? ) input buffer. Didn't really understood that part. Can't do it consistently.
    7. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      Yea, but buffering DE is like day and night difference from buffering SDE..
    8. BlackGeneral
      BlackGeneral
      Couldn't the mixup joseph describes be beaten by fuzzying?
    9. BlackGeneral
      BlackGeneral
      lol, this happened to me a couple of times, so I figured I'd check it out. It seems that 33 P+K beats mids that "animate" higher than normal mids/elbows (If you understand that) Like Lau and Goh. However, it only seemed to work at -5 or better, and in closed stance.
    10. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      I often see Joseph use shoulder after 46p+k+g is blocked I should make some test to see what it beats.
      First I suspected it was some kind of fuzzy+attack option select but from my few tests it doesn't seem like it.
    11. cruzlink2
      cruzlink2
      Chibitox it's quite possible it is, the command for shoulder is [3] [3] [P]+[K] and [4] [6] [P]+[K]+[G] is -4 on block. So you can fuzzy after it's blocked and all you be doing is adding [P]+[K] after your fuzzy.
    12. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      If you do 33 then P+K you will get hit by mid attacks
      The point of fuzzy would be pressing G to be able to block which I think will cancel the crouching state immediately.
      I don't remember the exact result of 33,G, 3P+K, I should restest.
      BlackGeneral likes this.
    13. cruzlink2
      cruzlink2
      Yea it goes under highs only chibi.
    14. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      And throws.. But unless this technique somehow ducks under instant elbows or something, I really don't see the merit of it.. Its a shoulder though.. maybe it does.
    15. BlackGeneral
      BlackGeneral
      It most definitely does... It has evasive properties.
      I was playing Cruz once and after a blocked 2P, he abared with shoulder. It evaded my 2P entirely and hit me.
      After the speculation about this move, It makes much more sense why JPN Akira abare with 33 P+K after a blocked 2p. It seems to coincide with my earlier post.
    16. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      What he meant is that unlike other chars knee launcher that are -15 on block (aka elbow class counterable) Akira's knee is only -13 (so most of the time only PK is guaranteed). So he said it may be a reward for the fact that the move is hard to do.
    17. Combolammas
      Combolammas
      about that shoulder it's probably the same as Gohs. Goes under highs and 'highish' mids from 7th frame onwards. Try it vs Shun K+G for example.
    18. Optimus_Cack
      Optimus_Cack
      that shoulder has some bizarro evasive properties, mostly against mid-class moves that look like their hitboxes are higher up. like some folks have said here, it's a decent abare option in certain situations. i've seen it after lots of blocked low punches and sometimes blocked dash elbows
    19. akai
      akai
      Modelah - thanks for translating!

This is the link of the original blog entry from VF5FS Beginner's Blog - http://vf5fsbeginner.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-31.html

When translating, it would always be good to provide the original version, if possible.

Most characters' elbow-speed class attacks on normal hit against standing opponent, you are even with opponent (+/- 0), however, on normal hit against crouching opponent, you are ~+6 frames (forced throw/mid attack choice situation).

There are examples of elbow-speed class attacks that on normal hit would give a small advantage (fuzzyable), but does not have increase frame advantage due to opponent crouching (Pai's [6][P] and [9][K])

Either way, no other character (I think!) have an elbow-speed attack like Akira's that gives +4 or better on normal hit standing, +6 on crouching, and only leaves you at small disadvantage on guard.

Looking at the original version I think the "as it" is where the translation is slightly off (他キャラの肘より性能が良く、nhでも投げと打撃の二択がかかる高性能な肘。) I think it might be better to translate:

Its overall property is better than other character's elbows, and even on normal hit can force nitaku against crouching opponent (translation note: he does not mention crouching specifically, but that can be assumed based on the frame data) makes it a highly efficient elbow.
      Modelah likes this.