1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting out with Jean #1

Discussion in 'Jean' started by Modelah, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Note: This was written by Hima Jean and translated by Modelah.

Hima Jean's VF5FS Beginner's Blog post

Hello there, I'm Hima Jean, a Jean player from Tokyo. I've been playing VF for about 3 years now. People have often told me I'm easygoing, witty and extremely good-looking, and they're absolutely correct. I'm a college student too, by the way.

A lot of you are probably thinking that a typical VF player is some nerdy old guy, but if a strapping young man like myself can play VF, then so can you!

Jean's Characteristics
    Jean first appeared in VF5R, and with quotes such as 'Looks like I'm the best after all,' and 'I'll fill your life with despair!' -you can see he's bit of a punk-ass. Tall, handsome and brimming with boyish charm are common traits Jean and I share.

Jean's size means he's quite heavy, a characteristic that means the combo damage he takes after being launched is lower than some lighter characters. Comparatively, the combo damage he can inflict is quite high. Though he has a good balance of offense and defense, the lack of variety in his moves is a weakness, most likely due to him being a newish addition to the cast.

So, getting wins with Jean means you have think about how to use the moves you have, and exactly when to employ them. When you start out with Jean, you'll have to practice and learn through trial and error. You'll find he's well worth the effort though, and you'll be stoked when you win based on strategies you created yourself!

Characteristic moves include Gyaku Seikenzuki ([6][6][P]), a staple move in Jean's offense. There's Shichō Tenrengeki, an attack that inflicts damage on opponents even when they're guarding. Yamakuzushi ([6][K]) launches on hit, giving you a chance for a damaging combo. He even has attacks like [6][6][K] and [6][6][K][+][G] that you can charge by holding and releasing the buttons. His
    Harai'uke ([4][P][+][K][+][G]) allows you to sabaki an opponent's attack and combo them. A lot of moves are very useful so using them at the right time is the key to a powerful offense. Jean has a lot of long-reaching moves, so he is great at mid-distance engagements.

As I mentioned before the lack of variety in his moves are a weakness. Other weaknesses are low throw damage (though compensated for by high strike damage), an abundance of slow-executing moves and a general vulnerability to an opponent's fast attacks.

Basic Skills
    I pointed out a few characteristic moves above but below I'll explain a little more about important moves that you should be using the most often in matches.

Elbow class:
    [6][P]- Jean's fastest mid. Basically when you're at advantage (like after guarding an opponent's attack), using this will beat out your opponent's next strike, resulting in a counter hit. On counter, you will have an even greater advantage allowing you to use stronger (ie. usually slower but more damaging) moves. The good point of this attack is that it's low risk; if guarded the disadvantage is small. Use this move often, and make it the starting point of your offense. There's a [P][K] (high, high) follow up to this move but I won't go into it's applications here.

[3][P]- Another fast mid attack. Basically similar to the above in that it can also beat out moves when you're at advantage. The follow-up [P] (mid) is handy for keeping opponents honest. The downside is that unlike [6][P], you'll be at a large disadvantage if it's guarded.

[4][K]- aka 'the lil' knee'. The fastest kick attack that hits mid. Again, similar to the above in that it can beat out moves when at advantage. Has a [P] (high) follow-up. Against a wall, [4][K][P] can get you a nice little combo.

[6][6][P]- aka Gyaku Seiken. Jean's signature move. An excellent move in regards to everything, including reach, frames, when guarded and on hit.

And it looks cool.

Very cool!!

You guessed it!!!

JUST LIKE ME!!!!!

This move is unique because it causes a special stun on hit, during which the opponent is unable to guard at all, and unable to evade. On top of that, any strike that immediately follows becomes a counter hit (you can't throw, unfortunately). So basically, on hit your opponent is in nitaku beween a mid and a low attack. It also has great reach so you can use from mid distances and as it's relatively fast it won't lose to abare as much as your opponent would hope. Even on guard it creates distance between you and your opponent so you're not diasadvantaged. For nitaku games, this is the move to use.

Pretty awesome, huh?

So, when you've put your opponent in that stunned state hit another [6][6][P] and go for a combo or hit [2][K][K] for extra damage.
    Combo:
    [6][6][P], [6][6][P]CH, dash, [3][3][P][K]
    The last part may be tricky, inputting [6][6][3][3][P][K] makes it easier.​

Upper class:
    [3][P][+][K]- Slow and leaves you at a large disadvantage if blocked but launches to give great high-damage combo opportunities. Very much a high-risk high-reward move. Try to time it as your opponent is getting up from a tech-recover to lessen the chance of them hitting you out of it.
    Combos:
    [3][P][+][K], dash, [P], [4][K][K][P]- for everyone except Taka
    [3][P][+][K], [4][6][P][K]- for Taka
    Knee class:
    [6][K]- aka 'the Knee'. On hit you can take up to half of your opponent's health bar but highly punishable on guard, this is an even greater high-risk high-return move than [3][P][+][K]. Because of this, rather than using it to try to put your opponent in nitaku use it as a punisher against whiffed moves or guarded low sweeps. It's great for reverse-nitaku though, for example using it when you think the opponent will try to throw you.
    Combos:
    [6][K], [9][K][+][G], [3][3][P][K]- for everyone except Taka
    [6][K], [2][P][+][K], [4][6][P][K]- for Taka
    Circulars:
    [2][K][+][G]- A full-circular low. Slow and punishable but good against evaders and standing guard, so use whenever you think the opponent will evade or just stand there blocking. If guarded or beaten out by a faster move you'll be at a large disadvantage so be sure to mix this with the other fast mids mentioned above.

[K][+][G]- A full-circular high great for defeating evaders. Different to the above in that it's safer on guard due to it's push-back. It can be ducked of course, at which point you'll be at a large disadvantage. Against evaders it will give a counter hit, giving you a large enough advantage to try to put your opponent in nitaku.

[1][P]- A half-circular low with good reach and safe on guard, also executes from a crouching state so don't worry about just throwing it out there. Great to use at mid distances during those staredown moments when you're both figuring out what to do next.

Special moves:
    [4][6][P][+][K] (guard) [K][P][P][K][P] (hit) [K]- Looks really hard to do, doesn't it? This move is called Shichō Tenrengeki, or Shichō/Nana-dan (The '7'- Modelah). This fantastic moves lets you beat on your hapless opponent even if they're guarding. The downside is that the command is tricky, and the first hit is a linear high so you'll be at a large disadvantage if it's evaded. Use it when you think your opponent will lock up and guard standing. The second-hit [K] and last [K] require careful timing, so practice this in training until you get it down smoothly.

[4][P][+][K][+][G]- A sabaki move. This will parry single-limbed mid or high punches. After a successful sabaki hit [P] to cause a stomach crumple and go for a combo. Try using it when you think the opponent will come at you with a punch.
    Combos:
    [4][P][+][K][+][G], (on successful sabaki)[P], [9][K][+][G], [3][3][P][K]- for everyone except Taka
    [4][P][+][K][+][G], (on successful sabaki)[P], [4][6][P][K]- for Taka
    Throws:
    Jean's throw game isn't that great and lacks variety, so you have to integrate them into your offense well so they don't get broken by your opponent. Below are the main throws in detail.

[P][+][G]- Jean's neutral throw. At 40 damage pts it's also his weakest. On the flipside, most opponents will think you're going for a stronger throw direction so they may not suspect you'll neutral throw them instead. In that regard, this throw may be your most reliable means of getting throw damage.

[6][P][+][G]- A foward-directional throw worth 50 damage pts. When Jean's other throws are escaped, he's left in a side-turned state and opponents can pressure him. The good thing about [6][P][+][G] is that if it's escaped Jean recovers facing his opponent, making defense much easier for him.

[6][6][P][+][G]- Jean's most damaging throw at 60 damage pts. Against opponents wary of this, mix up this throw with [P][+][G] and [4][P][+][G] (see below).

[4][6][P][+][G]- A 2-direction input throw worth 55 damage pts. Use this throw as your 10f throw punisher. Why, you ask? Because you can't use [6][6][P][+][G], that's why. The [4][4]/[6][6] command slows your input by 1f, resulting in 11 frames (most throws execute in 10f). That leaves this throw as your most damaging throw punisher.

[4][P][+][G]- The only back-direction throw. Throws the opponent to your back for 50 damage pts. Use for ring outs and getting yourself away from a wall.

Basic Strategy
    VF's general strategy revolves around trying to put your opponent into nitaku with a mid attack or throw, a concept that applies to all characters, not just Jean.

However, if the opponent's disadvantage is small enough, they can avoid your mid attack or throw attempts. This means you need to change up your moves depending on how much frame disadvantage your opponent has. If the opponent is at -5f or less they can employ what's called 'fuzzy guard' to avoid both your mid and throw attempts.

Attacking when the opponent is able to fuzzy guard:
    When the opponent is able to fuzzy it's difficult to do decent damage so try to gain a greater advantage for yourself and break down their fuzzy guard. Crouching defeats throw attempts, so use [6][P] to hit crouchers, it will also help to discourage abare. When they start to guard against your [6][P] go to [2][K][+][G] (a full-circular low) or [1][P] to defeat them. A word of caution here, even on hit a low attack won't give you advantage; meaning it will now be your opponent's turn to attack. Be prepared to guard whatever they may throw out, and look for your next chance to regain advantage.

Opponents who manage to avoid getting hit your low will now most likely crouch-guard or try to retaliate with a fast attack (as a slower low attack here will be beaten). Reading correctly and using a fast mid like [6][P] here will counter hit the opponent, giving you a large advantage. Using a low here can be risky, try to focus on hitting that [6][P]. Jean also has guard breaks that are effective against fuzzy guarders. Try not to overuse them, but mix them into your offense from time to time to keep opponents on their toes.

Attacking when the opponent is unable to fuzzy guard:
    Whenever you guard a big move or your attack counter hits, the opponent will be at disadvantage and therefore unable to fuzzy guard to avoid your nitaku attempts. This is your chance! It's time to play rock-scissors-paper with your throws and damaging mid attacks. In Jean's case, the best mid attack to use for nitaku is [6][6][P], so use this and his throws to score damage off the opponent. When [6][6][P] hits, woo-hoo it's nitaku time again! As mentioned above, this nitaku game is between another [6][6][P] or [2][K][K]. You can also use [3][P][+][K] and go for a combo if it hits.

Jean's throws aren't so hot but without them you cripple his nitaku game and therefore cannot fully capitalise on the threat of his strikes. So, use his throws!

You may be asking yourself, 'That's it? All this explaining and everything comes down to this so-called nitaku game?' Well, plain and simple, a sound nitaku game is the shortest path to success in Virtua Fighter. That is all.

From the Author:
    Well, this post turned out to be quite long, didn't it? For even more detailed Jean strategies check out my blog!

I might even play on XBL sometime! (´∀`*)

Hima Jean

Go to Starting out with Jean #2

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Yes. Seriously. That's what he wrote.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  3. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    66p is like quotation punctuation, whereas every mentionable Jean begins and ends with it. LAME. But i guess we shouldn't fear 66p if we can assume Jean's probably gonna 66p. 66p.

Im a hater. Jean is pretty cool though.

4. Optimus_Cack

Optimus_Cack Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SquareNinja
    i mean, why wouldn't a jean player throw out 66p so much? it's mini-sde