1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting out with Pai

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Modelah, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Note: This was written by Aopai and translated by Modelah. Information from Aopai's 'Pai Combos' post was added (in it's entirety) to the 'Combo Starters and Sample Combos' section at the end of this post for ease of reading.

Aopai's VF5FS Beginner's Blog Post
    Aopai's VF5FS Beginner's Blog Post- Pai Combos

Hi, I've been using Pai since VF3.

Pai's Characteristics, Strengths and Weaknesses
    Pai has great speed, and can use that speed to dictate the pace of matches. She also has a great balance of high, mid and lows, and many evasive attacks and reversals to negate her opponent's offense. Her [P] and mid [3][P][+][K] are among the fastest moves in the game, which means it's easy for her to abare against an opponent's attacking pressure. As for her own attacking options, her Bokutai stance and mid/low attacks out of Meishoushou stance are excellent.

However, the overall damage Pai inflicts is low. She will also struggle against strong defenses and crouchers. She is also classed as a lightweight, so the combo damage she takes can be potentially high.

Basic Strategy
    Use that fast [P] and hit [6][P] to get opponents defending, and when you see them locking up go for a throw. After a knockdown, look to pressure with a low [1][K][+][G] or a mid [4][6][K][+][G]. If your attack is blocked or find yourself at disadvantage after being hit, use [1][P] with it's evasive properties to get yourself out of trouble.

If you're not sure what to do, just try to abare with [P][P][P] or [3][P][+][K].

Also, sometimes try [3][P][P], and from that, [6][P] or a throw for nitaku pressure. Remember, Pai's counterattacking potential is excellent so bear that in mind and good luck!

Basic Skills
    [P]- An 11f high punch. Gives you advantage on block. Long reach.
    [2][P]- A 12f special low. Gives you advantage on hit, so go for a mid or throw for nitaku pressure.
    [6][P]- A 14f mid. Slight disadvantage when blocked, advantage on hit.
    [9][K]([K])- Similar properties with [6][K] but goes over the opponent's low attacks.
    [3][P][+][K]- A 12f double-handed mid. Good pushback on block.
    [3][K]([P][P])- A 16f mid. Long-reaching and great against back dashing opponents.
    [2_][5][K]- A 15f mid. Knocks down on hit, safe on guard.
    [6][P][+][K][P]- A 15f mid, mid. Stop after the first [6][P][+][K] and go for a sneaky throw attempt.
    [1][K][+][G]- A low. Use to counter hit opponents who evade or abare and knock them down.
    [2][K][+][G]- A low. Slow, but gives advantage on normal hit and combo opportunities on counter hit.[2_][3][P][+][K]- A 16f mid. Leads to damaging combos on counter hit. Safe on guard.
    [3][P][P]([6][P])- Hits low, high, (mid). Use this and mix with [3][P][P](throw) for strong nitaku guessing games.
    [4][6][K][+][G]- A fast mid. Starts combos. Gives advantage on block. After a knock down using this for follow up pressure makes for a great okizeme game.

Moves to use Defensively
    Use these when at disadvantage, like after getting hit by your opponent or when your attacks are blocked.
    [1][P]- A high. A move with a withdrawing animation that is useful for avoiding attacks. Starts combos on normal hit. A high-risk, high-return kind of move.
    [2_][4][P]- A mid. A quick withdrawing animation good for counterattacking. Only good against short-reaching moves. Gives large advantage on hit, slight disadvantage on block. A very useful move.
    [1][P][+][K]- A reversal that will take care of most mids. [9][K][K] becomes guaranteed after a successful reversal.
    [4][P][+][K]- A high reversal, has the same properties with the above. I don't use it that often.

Throws
    [6][3][2][1][4][P][+][G]
    [2_][6][P][+][G]
    [6][4][P][+][G]
    [6][P][+][G]
    [P][+][G]
    Listed in order of damage; highest to lowest.

Low Throws
    [3][3][P][+][G]- Follow with backturned [K] to start combos.
    [2][P][+][G]
    [1][P][+][G]
    [3][P][+][G]- [9][K][K] becomes guaranteed.
    Listed in order of damage; highest to lowest.

Powerful mid/low pressure from Meishoushou
    *[4][P][+][K][+][G](Meishoushou), BT[P](mid)- When this is blocked, go for these mid/low nitaku options.
    [P][+][K](mid)- On normal hit, a [3][K][+][G] combo starter is guaranteed.
    [P][K](mid, mid)- A mid string, knocks down on hit.
    [K](low)- A fast full-circular that knocks down.​

*Use this like you would use [P][K]for punishment. [P][K][2] changes stance, and is a very strong tool.

Combo Starters and Sample Combos Note: Elements from Aopai's Pai Combos post marked *.
    Good to use as punishment, when opponent's moves whiff, and when you think the opponent will try to throw you.

*I divided the combos into weightclass-specific groups:
    Superlightweight- El Blaze, Eileen
    Lightweight- Vanessa, Aoi, Sarah, Lion, Pai, Shun
    Middleweight- Lei-Fei, Kage, Brad, Goh, Lau
    Heavyweight- Jean, Jacky, Akira, Wolf, Jeffry
    Superheavyweight- Taka-Arashi

[K]- A 14f high.
    *[K], [P], [6][K][P][4][K], [2_][5][K]- El Blaze to Shun
    *[K], [P][P][4][P][K] OR [P][P][K][K]- Lei Fei to Akira
    *[K], [9][K][K]- Wolf and Jeffry
    [3][K][+][G]- A 17f mid.
    *[3][K][+][G], [6][K][+][G], [K][K]- Everyone up to Akira
    *[3][K][+][G], [6][K][+][G], [2_][5][P][+][K][P]- Everyone except Taka
    *[3][K][+][G], [3][P][P][6][P], [P][K]- Vanessa to Shun
    *[3][K][+][G], [3][P][P][P][4][K], [4][P]- Jean To Jeffry
    [4][6][K][+][G]- A 22f mid, +4 on guard.
    *[4][6][K][+][G], [9][K][K]- for all characters
    [6][6][K][P]- An 18f high, mid. 17f with fastest input.
    *[6][6][K][P], [P], [6][K][P][4][K], WS[K]- El Blaze to Pai
    *[6][6][K][P], [P], [3][K][P][P]- Shun to Jacky
    *[6][6][K][P], [P][P][4][P][K] Akira to Taka
    [1][P]- Only used when evading opponent's attack/throw nitaku.

[2_][3][P][+][K]- A 16f mid. Starts combos on a counterhit, great to use in your attack/throw nitaku pressure.

*Wall Combo
    [6][6][P](wall stagger), [2_][5][K](wall splat), [K] OR[3][K][+][G], [4][6][K][+][G], [4][6][6][P][+][K], [6][K][+][G], [2_][5][P][+][K][P]

※ The [2_][5]input requires you to crouch, then return to a standing position; ie. crouch then release the stick/directional buttons. It works as long as you start from a crouching state, so [1_], [2_], [3_] can be used also.

Aopai

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    AZYG4LYFE, Shensun, KrsJin and 14 others like this.
  2. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Oh cant wait!! Thx modelah

3. Riq

Riq Well-Known Member

PSN:
    RaWsHaK91
    I Will Be Reading This Lol

4. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Doesn't work. Instead of [2] [K][+][G] he may have meant [6] [K][+][G]

Sozos likes this.
  5. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Thx for the translation modelah. Pretty good and simple to get the meaning. Great Pai guide.

* And yes.. he meant 6K+G

Modelah likes this.
  6. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I will have to try some of this stuff out when I get a chance but alot of it is stuff I am already aware of. Still it is worth reading regardless to remind me of all this stuff again when I get lazy and go on autopilot again.

7. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Thanks, Modelah! I'll definitely work through this in the dojo.

Modelah likes this.
  8. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Yes, you're right- I rechecked the post and it's [6][K][+][G]. Thanks! So the combo works? My fingers are too dumb to do it.

9. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Yes, it works.

Modelah and Pai~Chun like this.
  10. Dollar Yen

Dollar Yen Active Member

PSN:
    DollarYen
    XBL:
    Dollar Yen SRK
    I found her rising throws give a slight follow up advantage. 60-70 damage was the highest I did. Her forward one has combo potential.

11. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    The highest damage she has from 1 throw is her 6,4 P+G putting them into the wall and you would then get a wall combo from there. That is at least 100 damage with a wall. Without a wall she can at least 80 from her 46P+G into a 33P+G low throw. She has some good damage options from her throws even her 66P+G can lead to about 80 damage when she throws them into the wall as well.

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Remember it's guaranteed damage only in the OP. Gimmicks are something else entirely.

Kamais_Ookin likes this.
  13. Dollar Yen

Dollar Yen Active Member

PSN:
    DollarYen
    XBL:
    Dollar Yen SRK
    - my bad. I should have said comboing into, which would be inaccurate since you'd have to use her scissors kick move after the stagger from crouch rising 9 + P + K. You're right: you could get alot out of comboing with wall.

14. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I do like that. It's not guaranteed but it's nice.

shadowmaster likes this.
  15. This is definitely what I need to get my
    Pai Chan game started.

Thanks for this great translation.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  16. J.D.E.

J.D.E. Active Member

PSN:
    oJDEo
    XBL:
    XX JDE XX
    Nice! Thanks for this! I was trying to get her down to a tee. I passed up Kage for her. I wanted to try something different for a change instead of maining a ninja (but will sub Kage).

Lulu Lulu, BlueLink and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  17. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Shweet, I just started messin with Pai a few days ago. I'll have to study this. Though I'm pretty lazy so I don't know how far I'll get, hahah. Until then ima have fun pushing buttons with her like I have been.

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  18. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    It's been years since I've played any VF, but lately I've been wanting to mess around with Pai for a bit. She was my unofficial sub in VF2 back in my scrub days

Cmoney and jimi Claymore like this.
  19. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Sorry wasn't sure where to ask this, and sorry for the low quality pic. Could someone help me out with this player’s name?

Attached Files:

20. DomAug

DomAug dom Content Manager Lion Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    domaug
    my Google app shows it as 鯛焼 "Taiyaki"