1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Street Fighter 4 - your thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by Rayne, Nov 20, 2015.

?

Is SF4 a poor man's VF?

1. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No! I love to throw countless fireballs and mash DP ;)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. It's ok for a 2D fighter.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Hi VF peeps!

It's been a long while since I've been on the VFDC boards, truth is I miss VF but the scene is dead in the UK.

Since SF4 came out I've occasionally played it. Eight years on and the game is nearly done as SF5 is coming out soon. The conclusion that I came to about the game after a few months is pretty much the same conclusion I've come to now after eight years: as a fighting game... SF4 is a piece of shit. I think you have so few options in most situations and in order to win the game encourages you to play in a very lame style where you don't take any risks or do anything resembling interesting. Compared to VF it's a poor man's fighting game and it sucks that it's got so much attention in the tournament scene when VF has very little.

I'd be interested to hear from other experienced VF players how they find the game. Please share all!

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  2. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    Its okay for a 2d fighter,but you should never compare 2d to 3d. SF4 is kinda lame because most people I played try to gimmick you out with op moves. Ive seen good players get locked down by rufus dive kicks and couldnt do nothing but take it. I stopped playing sf4 because i was getting angry at people and raging.

ToyDingo and Lulu Lulu like this.
  3. Lulu Lulu

Lulu Lulu Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Wheres the: "I fucking hate this game and wish Capcom nothing but misfortune" option ?

Seriously though..... Fuck Street Fighter.... yes the whole series.... I never liked a single one of them. :mad:

VF is awesome. (y)

Edit: wow.... I thought alteast someone here would like considering how freaking popular it is.

Maybe I just don't get it...... is anybody willing to explain why they like Street Fighter ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. og23

og23 Well-Known Member

Street fighter is a good game when it's done right. Super SF4 for example, is actually very good. The problem is that capcom can't balance a fighting game to save their lives. It looks like they're doing a good job on SF5 though.

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  5. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

It's really hard to balance a game when there's over 50 characters. At the end I couldn't tell if I was playing SF4 or mugen.

P.S. I'm kind of getting tired of coming to this website and only seeing people talk about other games. You know SRK is only two blocks on the left. It should be easy to find now. I think they've installed a spotlight with R.Miki slapping her ass.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    ToyDingo, noname and Lulu Lulu like this.
  6. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    I think its way too early to give a verdict on Street Fighter V's balance.

After all it takes time to develope some tech.

leftylizard likes this.
  7. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    The thing about SF4 is that it feels like it caters to people who are beginners and want quick wins. At least SF3 had the parry mechanic which made added a meta-game to the series. Even Cvs2 had the six different grooves which made the game more technical. I think SF4 was a step backward compared to those two games.

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  8. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

I totally agree, when I first played SF4 it seemed like a dumbed down SF3. The parry was great for high level play. When I'm beating my opponent, why should they unleash their revenge gauge (which has higher priority over virtually all moves) and now they're in the lead. Who thought that was a good idea!? It's the equivalent of in basketball when a team is ahead by 5 points,the opposing team then gets extra points for every time they score. I don't see why there should ever be comeback mechanics in a competitive game.

Lulu Lulu likes this.
  9. Mold_Monkey93

Mold_Monkey93 Well-Known Member

I been with SF seriously since some time with 2 & 3. I think, depending with SF you decided to take seriously will determine how your playstyle will be. I think, they wanted to add, familiarity to these people. With 3, SF2 players/Alpha (Sorta) were shunned away. I think Capcom realized with that, SF2 was a huge chunk of playerbase just missing. Now, for the people that love sf3, they developed a different, "SF mentality" Or playstyle. I think 3 brought the idea of, "Anyone can win. Keep calm, & parry on." 2 was sorta, you play the matchup to the best you can. I think 4s problem lies with, they didn't know what fans to cater to, while simultaneously bringing in a new generation with new, "Features" You had to play by working around things and play the matchup. Focus attack & super cancel usage tried to bring the 3rd strike crowd. Now, with 4s backlash, they know what they wanted to keep from 4, w/o bastardizin 5. No more chip from specials will show who has skill v YOLO sf4 player

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Lulu Lulu likes this.
  10. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Well in Street Fighter its a fighting game with Resources (which I hate)... namely the super meter. Without Come back mechanics the game would suffer from a local imbalance where the more one guy pumnels you.... the meter he can build to continue pumneling you...... then you die.

Not only is it borring to watch but honestly I don't think either player in that scenario finds it interesting. Enter Comeback mechanics.... the thing that gives losers a fighting chance.

If you've played the Naruto games then you know how a game can really suffer if it doesn't have Come Back Mechanics.... especially if it's chock full of resource based mechanics.... you know.... all the meters and bars and gauges......

LoL.... have you seen the Fight Screen in Blaz Blue.... ? Its crazy, man.

11. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, I never thought of it like that. I don't know what the answer is, I just hope SF5 sorts out some of the BS. I just miss competitive VF and wish it was half as popular as SF. I spent 8 years getting good at the game and now I can't flex my VF muscle!

Pai~Chun and Lulu Lulu like this.
  12. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Yeah you are right though..... if the type of come back mechanic they use is crappy then it would be better if they didn't add one anyway.....

You know what game I really wana play.... Chess 2: The Sequel. They took all the problems in the original chess and fixed it.

Because in the original Chess when I lose my queen I just get steam rolled.

13. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

That's very much how I felt about SF4 after playing it for a few months, going to sessions and even a few tournaments. Lack of options, slow, defensive and generally uninteresting game play. I switched to KOF:2002UM a year before XIII came out and that was far better (fast paced, offensive, lots of interesting options and large movesets). I think that is far more comparable to VF than SF4. Likewise KOFXIII is a followup to 2002UM in some ways similar to what VF5 and FS are to VF4.

Lulu Lulu likes this.