1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Successful Evade and Slow Attacks

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by akai, Jul 20, 2012.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Here is a preliminary video showing how slow attacks successfully evaded can still hit the evader. This is a property that have been in the game since VF4 and original VF5.

A successful evade in VF5FS takes 23 frames. If you successfully evade a slow strike (>23 frames of execution or the execution plus active frames is >23 frames) it is still possible for the slow strike to contact you. Similar to successful evade and attack strings, inputs by the evader after the successful evade will realigned or “track†the two characters back to each other.

Note that with a successful evade, you can hear the evader unique sound effect differing from a failed evade.

In the following examples you will first see a slow attack being successfully evaded and not contacting the evader (the evader did not input commands during the execution and active frames of the slow attacker. Subsequent examples show how the successful evader inputting [G], [P], or [K] may result in the same slow attack to contact the evader after successful evade (Pay attention to the command display of the evader).

Examples in the video -
    Pai's [3][P][K] charged. Successfully evade the second strike (the charged [K]) by evading toward the back of Pai. The charged [K] executes in 42 frames plus 6 additional active frames.

Paiâ
    Pai's [4][P] 25 frames of execution plus 3 additional active frame. Note that evading in the other direction, the evader is less prone to be contacted by the [4][P].

Pai's [6][6][P][+][K]. 29 frames to execute plus 1 additional active frame. Note that this move does not appear to be able to hit the successful evader unless there is confined space that prevents evader from moving further away from Pai.

Akira's [3][P][+][K]. 25 frames of execution plus 2 additional active frame. Similar to Pai's [6][6][P][+][K] this slow attack can consistently hit the successful evader that inputted a button afterwards at a confined space (Myke's Post in Esoteric Frame Data gave a more detailed explanation).

So let me emphasize again - It is possible for a slow strike to contact a successful evader when the evader had entered inputs after evade allowing the two characters to "track&" or "realigned" back to each other.

2. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

It's a trade.

3. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Good video, should clear up some things. Thanks.

4. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It's dumb how you get tracked and hit if you hold guard while evading, I don't like it.

In other news, are we using Kiwe's $10 for the up-coming circuit tournament, Akai? ^_^

5. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

Nice video Akai ! Very useful because you take the time to watch several cases.

But i don't like your conclusion

I understand that the main concern is about the tracking thing. A lot of people bash VF5FS because they feel like the game has an auto track engine during. So you really want to :

1 ) Refresh the memory of players who forget it was also the case in VF4/VF5

2) Show clearly with several exemple how you can deal with that engine in this game

But your video show something more interesting

The problem of auto track move is not really a problem of track but more a problem of lack of invincibility.

With the Third example and also the last example, it's clearly not the track the problem.

In training mode with one evade i can escape two moves (PP) when i'm stuck near a wall

So for me that means that during an evade you remain invincible during 23 (?) frames only if you choose to not input a button

The first example with Pai is not about track but more about lack of invulnerability i think

The reason why i think it's important is because that change a lot the way we think evade work. We think evade is an evade but Sega has choose to name that Defensive Move instead.

Evade means 3D spacing and lead to track discussions

Defensive Move means something else. If we see that move like a full invincible move and not only a 3D spacing move it can change the way we play the game

We should ban the "evade" term i think and try to really understand defensive move ^^

6. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    HI Cnul - I think there is a misunderstanding (took me a while to be back in dojo). Something lost in translation?

The input button causes "tracking" after the 23 frames not during the 23 frames.

The labeling of defensive move is because they introduced another evasive move - offensive move in VF5 (Offensive move did had some evasive property in original VF5). Using the term evade is something that we have been using a long time before VF5 in referring to [8][5] or [2][5] (still used in Japan also).

7. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

Hello Akai
    If i ask you some questions like :
    How long is a dash ?
    How long is a backdash ?
    You will answer yhat it depends if you cancel the move or not.

Example a backdash can be cancelled by an attack or by a defensive move. But to guard after a backdash it takes more time

We also know that we can cancel a defensive move by a dash before we can attack or guard.
    So data about the lenght of some moves depends of what you do.

Now why assume a defensive move take 23 frames when to calculate that we used an action like attack or guard ? Maybe a defensive move lenght more time if you don't input a button.
    That is why i said 23(?)

To explain me more clearly, we suppose input a button during a defensive move cause track because we get hit but maybe we get hit just because we cancel the defensive move instead like when when we cancel a dash forward with guard or an attack

In using the word evade, we avoid the fact that maybe defensive move give your character some invincibility. Invincibility which can be lost if you choose to cancel the move.

Evade let you think that it's just about spacing and tracking so when you get hit it's because the move have tracked you.
    Defensive move instead can let you think you have some special properties (invicibilty) that you can lose if you cancel the move with a button

8. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    According to what is known, a successful evade or successful defensive move cannot be shorten or cancelled. A failed evade or failed defensive move can be shorten by crouch dash or dash.

9. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yep. Succesful evade cannot be cancelled by anything.

The advantage after evading something is compared to the total frames of the move you evaded - those 23 frames it takes succesful evade to work. The advantage afterwards also depends when during the attacks animation you evade. The earlier, the better.

10. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

Ok i start to understand your point xD but i still hold mine :p

I didn't know that or maybe i read that without really understand what it means ^^;;
    But that doesn't change my idea :p

Fist because it's still possible to cancel a successful evade with something else : Offensive move.

So maybe it's possible to cancel a successful evade at several time with several options and guard/attack is one of them. Those cancel occur only after 23 frames but they are still cancel.

Maybe a successful evade is in fact a 35 frames moves (random number bigger than 23 ) if you don't input guard/attack

Maybe cancelling a successful evade with guard is an option set by SEGA to go for a throw as soon as possible
    Maybe cancelling a successful evade with an attack is an option set by SEGA to go for a side turn situation as soon as possible

As you see i really don't buy this "track explanation", if you get hit for me it's just because you are not invincible anymore
    Because how can you explain Pai avoid Akira in the corner when you clearly see she cannot "really" evade due to the wall Or akira avoid [6][6][P][+][K] from Pai but the move just look like he go through him.

I think the only way to figure out that is replicate those setup in real match and watch the replay at the end of a round to see the action with other point of view [​IMG]. Only noodals with his tools can do that i think

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    It's not canceled.

12. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

I can cancel a successful evade with an OM or maybe i missed something again ^^;;

By the way this sort of screenshot can help us :
    http://www.virtuafighter.jp/dk_96.html
    But only replay can provide us this

13. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

So in the scenario where you do a successfull evade and you do immediately an OM that's not considere a cancel? does that mean the successful evade still does all the frame's animation before you can do an OM?

14. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    If you look at my quote I put "track" in quotations. It is a term others have used during VF4 to talk about the properties of the moves being discussed in this topic. I don't like the term, but it is used to describe the so call property.

"Track" is still a better term than "invincibility" to describe the property, because not inputting anything does not make the character invincible after the successful evade.

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yes it is. It's cancelled in the sense that you don't need to wait for the entire successful evade to animate before you transition into OM. Been that way since Vanilla.

16. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Im pretty certain you are on record somewhere on these forums for saying the exactly opposite thing (I have decent memory) but my search-fu is not strong enough to come up with the post quickly enough. Back then you also corrected me (with the exact opposite thing), so Im not feeling too happy about this one.

Ill go along for now though.

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm pretty sure I never said such a thing, which is probably why your search is failing you.

Something you can try yourself: go to free training, Akira vs Akira and set CPU to guard then mid attack. Perform any attack that's disadvantage on guard, then evade the CPU Akira's mid attack (a [6][6][P]). During your evade, vary the timing of the OM input ([P][+][K][+][G]) and you'll find:

If you input OM early, you'll cancel the successful evade but get hit due to the OM's lack of evasive/invulnerable properties.

If you input OM late, you'll safely get around CPU Akira's dashing elbow, because you allowed the DM to evade just enough to get out of harm's way before you interrupted it.

18. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

I give up for now but i will comeback with more ammo soon ^^

19. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

i'm glad it works this way

20. Drift

Drift Well-Known Member

Expanding upon the basic idea of using a slow move to counter-hit a successful evade & attack, I've developed some pretty strong stuff for a few select characters. For people who are familiar with using K(G-cancel) to let your opponent "evade" while you retain actual advantage, this is very similar and used in the same situations.

For some characters, using (half)circulars to catch and CH an evade is a fool's choice. There exists significantly better options for those characters that can lead to far more damage than a simple CH circular. Let's go over what we've either known since VF4 or just learned from this thread: A slow attack can still hit an opponent after they "successfully" evade it if they attempt to attack after evading (it will also make contact if they evade & guard) due to the re-aligning of characters. Also, we know that a successful evade in VF5FS is 23 non-cancelable frames (except for OM) and that the fastest jab is 11 frames. Finally, we know (or should know) that, outside of strings, evading is most useful in -6 to -9 situations. -1 to -5 can be fuzzied to avoid the greatest threats while -10 and greater disadvantages are punishable. Put it all together and we have:

23f evade + 11f jab + opp. disadvantage = potential frames for a "Surprise, I knew you were gonna evade and counter; Now eat this combo" move. Some characters are capable of turning an opponent's "successful" evade into major damage. If your character has a mid, 30f, linear move with at least 4 active frames, then you should never use a silly ol' circular. This particular frame data (mid, 30f exe, 4+ active, linear) is the best possible way to abuse this tech, but it can be made to work to a lesser degree with other moves.

Here's the math. From a disadvantage of:
    -1: Evading during frames 2-24, Vulnerable from frame 25. Fastest jab active at frame 35.
    -2: Evading during frames 3-25, Vulnerable from frame 26. Fastest jab active at frame 36.
    -3: Evading during frames 4-26, Vulnerable from frame 27. Fastest jab active at frame 37.
    -4: Evading during frames 5-27, Vulnerable from frame 28. Fastest jab active at frame 38.
    -5: Evading during frames 6-28, Vulnerable from frame 29. Fastest jab active at frame 39.
    -6: Evading during frames 7-29, Vulnerable from frame 30. Fastest jab active at frame 40.
    -7: Evading during frames 8-30, Vulnerable from frame 31. Fastest jab active at frame 41.
    -8: Evading during frames 9-31, Vulnerable from frame 32. Fastest jab active at frame 42.
    -9: Evading during frame 10-32, Vulnerable from frame 33. Fastest jab active at frame 43.

As you can see, from -6 to -9, the 30f attack will make contact on the first frame of the opponent's vulnerability (30th-33rd frame). If they're attacking at all, you get a CH and big damage. If they evade & guard instead, most of the moves that fit this criteria are safe on guard and will hit meaty from -7 to -9 to reduce your disadvantage even more. Better yet, if you notice, a 30f move can't be beaten if the opponent was at -1. So this move category can beat any evade-jab counterattack from -1 to -9! At least, in theory. There could be some odd alignment issues to work out. Attacks with different frame data are usable, but not as universally.

Unfortunately, not everyone has such a move. I won't list the options for every character, but I will say that Jeffry players can thank me with a $10 Paypal donation. Full Swing Double Hammer (HCF P+K) is incredible when used this way. I found a 110 damage combo in just the few minutes I tried this with him. Consider it a half-life circular. Kage also has a nice option with 9K+G.

Obviously, setting this up requires you to be frame-tight so that your opponent wants to evade to regain advantage. It's not something to just throw out there. Any abare from your opponent will eat this alive. However, abare is dangerous of course, so the real way to defend against this mix-up (frame-tight mid/throw and evade-beater) is to lazy throw tech and wait for the specific animation of the evade-beater then evade. You will either evade late in the animation of the big move or guard the mid or escape your chosen throw direction. Either way you've regained advantage without exposing yourself.