1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by tehmidcap, Apr 6, 2014.

1. tehmidcap

tehmidcap Member

So, I've been really close-minded to the world of fighting games until lately. I used to play Street Fighter II Turbo on SNES until the wee hours of the night as a kid.. But then I discovered Tekken on Playstation 1; and for whatever reason fell in love with it and decided it was the only fighter I would play. It was the whole way up until Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I also always played with a controller.

Fast forward and now for the last month or so the only fighting games I have been playing are VF5FS and an occasional round of DOA5U. But I decided to pick up a copy of Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition; I haven't played Street Fighter IV, any version of it, at all until today. It's actually surprisingly fun for a 2d fighter -- will take a bit to get used to not being able to side step, but the added jumping abilities are cool. Obviously it isn't nearly as authentic/realistic fighter as Virtua Fighter, but it's fun in it's own arcadey way and has that nostalgic charm.

Certain things, like how to shoot Ryu's fireball, I could never forget. But I otherwise feel like a stranger to this game and the fighting system. Anyone have any pointers? Should I try to pick a main and stick with them in this game; If so how do I go about choosing when there's freaking 40 people? Also is the default layout for an arcade stick what most people use?

2. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Best advice I could give on picking a character is the ol' try em and find one ya like best and fits your play style best. Try em in the Challenge/Trials mode. I personally just use one character mainly. But I dabble with a couple others too in the training room. But I only use them against someone if I'm beating em bad with my main. Other than that, I stick with Makoto cause I'm trying to get better with her, hahah.

Good players (from what I know) say to try and learn a little of each character so you know what they're capable of when fighting em. Which isn't too bad in SF since most of the characters are universal. I personally just learn the ones I like. I aint tryin to win no tournaments or nothin. So I'm coo with just doing that and learning how to fight em and deal with stuff and asking a question here n there as I go.

You might even decide to give a character a shot by playing someone who's pretty good with em and seeing what that character is capable of.

Yeah, although I've never been to a gathering. I can only assume most people would use the original layout with the buttons on the arcade stick like this.

LP MP HP - top
    LK MK HK - bottom

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  3. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Oh yea. And about pointers. Only one I could really give is to just try your best to just have fun man. The SF4 series has been out for a long while, and online is full of really good players. There's a chunk of beginners too. But it's mostly people who have a good grip on the game. You can hop in Ranked Mode and set your search for people of the same skill level. But that's a coin toss too cause it determines skill by how many player points (or battle points, i forget which one counts) you have. And not every one plays ranked all the time, so there's some good players floating around with low points. Just try to enjoy it, even if some people make it hard to do so.

Good luck ^-^

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. tehmidcap

tehmidcap Member

Is UMvC3 worth picking up despite being delisted? Are you still able to apply newest updates and play online and whatnot?

5. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    As far as it being worth it to get that is up to you but all DLC has been removed from the online marketplace. If you played anyone aside from the usual cast like Shuma you are SOL. It can't be bought online either if you can find a copy at a store that is good if you want it bad enough. Capcom pretty much gave up on it because they lost the licence to have marvel characters most likely due to Disney owning Marvel now. There you go and have a nice day.

6. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Really great video here. Lots of people are going to get better and have a new mind set when playing from this video alone. And it's only the first one.

This is pretty much the introduction video as to why he's doing this, what he plans to do and how he's going to help people get better. I highly recommend watching this too. Even if you don't play Street Fighter.. Starts at 5:15.
    http://www.twitch.tv/juiceboxabel/b/521360831

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  7. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Actually VesperArcade most likely has the best SF4 tutorial from basic stuff to the most advanced stuff the pros use in real matches it is in a playlist as well and they should apply to all forms of SF4 even controllers and the difference from wired and wireless connections as well. Just look him up on YT and you will see all kinds of tutorials and trial mode videos for many games not just SF4

8. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Ok.

What did you think of the YouTube video Juicebox just made?

*edit* Oh yea. I've seen a few of vespers videos before. Mainly on how to do a few trials, and floated off to watching some about plinking.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  9. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    So, does anybody here on VFDC play Skreet Fighter 4 on Xbox?

10. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
  11. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Awesome. Ima send you a friend request if you have some space. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with ya, hahah.

Anybody else play?

12. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I want to get back to SF4 before ultra drops so I get used to it and having a training partner would be nice and I wouldn't be playing random ranked matches very much.

13. floodnhard

floodnhard Active Member

ya, xbl floodnhard

14. Voltaige

Voltaige Active Member

XBL:
    Voltaige
    Cool doods, lets get some games in!

15. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    I think I've played you before. I'm pretty sure I have.

I'll be droppin yall friend request. Just to point out. I'd say my skill level is between beginner and intermediate. If you're good/really good, I don't mind if you delete me for not being good enough. If you're looking for good players only. On the flip side, I don't care how good or bad you are.

Lookin forward to some games with yall!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  16. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    i play all these games and i also press all the buttons.

17. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    No one wants to play you Cozby.. Go away, lol :)

18. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Some pretty dope unorthodox combos for Makoto. I need to learn some stuff like this. My Mak is about as basic as you can get.

Mr. Goggles likes this.
  19. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
  20. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico