1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Taka 101

Discussion in 'Taka' started by Sebo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Taka Arashi, the Fat Man with amazing reach, excellent throws, excellent damage, and for some damn reason, won't fall down.
    As of this writing, Ver A., Taka is at least top 5, if not 3 in the game, for the reasons listed above (among others). In the right hands (i.e. not mine) Taka is probably the most fearsome character in the cast.

Want an example? Pay attention to the first round opening...

Step 1. Lau Backdashes and Taka does [K]
    Step 2. ???
    Step 3. Profit.

This will by no means be an exhaustive guide, but I will do my best to answer questions, post vids, and give you a good idea how to start with Taka or how to beat him.

Here is a rundown of his moves:
    [P]
    ====
    [P]- Taka is all about those slaps, and while his aren't too different the the rest of the cast's (apart from their slightly longer reach [I think]), his jab is extremely important. For one, it's his quickest non-throw move (along with [2][P]), is used in almost every combo, and it should be a staple in your repertoire. But I haven't even gone into the juicy details, because there is more to it than that. For starters, [P][P][P] is a natural combo, so while it doesn't give you advantage (you'll be at -2), it does great damage at +12-13~14 range.

But it doesn't stop there! From [P][P] (-4 on block, -1 on hit) and [P][P][P] (-5 on block, -2 on hit), you can enter into his Tachiai 「立ã¡åˆã„, where he does his sumo crouch :17-18 seconds into the video〠stance and use the options available to him there. Does it end there? NO it doesn't.

[P][P][6][P] is a great attack that covers his stomach, hits mid, can cause a wall splat (if the wall is facing your stomach) sobers a 1-dp, and it might be slightly delay-able (not too sure). This is a great move, because if the opponent is used to seeing lots of [P]s flying at them, you can condition them to crouch, and then bam! Knock down mid that is only -8* on block (*at least in VF5FS Ver 1.1). Another thing of important note: versus Taka, [P][P][6][P] is a minor counter for +12-14 situations, and leads to knockdown and unless it has changed you might be able to combo with [6_][P] [6][P][+][K][P][P]. Does it stop there? Almost.

If you know Taka, or any other Sumo character, it's natural for to have a long series of slap attacks, and it's in the form of [P][P][P][P]/[P][P][P][P][P]/[P][P][P][P][P][P]. While not too useful, from some videos I've seen [P]x4 (or was it x5?) is guaranteed on a side turned opponent for decent damage, and in this video which I can't locate, the Taka did [P]x4-5 caused a wall stagger and then was guaranteed another [P]x4-5. It looks simple, maybe a little stupid, but his long series of [P] has it's place somewhere in his game. As for [P]x6... other than a brain-dead combo after a heavy launch ([3][3][P]/[3][3][P][+][K]) mostly against light characters for maybe ringing out over half-walls, I cannot see where [P]^6 fits in. Nevertheless, that's a lot of info on something as "simple" as his [P].

[6][P]
    ====
    [6][P]- This is VF, and this is an elbow. It's your typical elbow being -5 on block, -1 on hit, and +7 on counter. It has decent range and is, like all elbows, is an extremely important tool.

[6][6][P]
    ====
    [6][6][P]- If you remember Taka from VF3, then you must know this move. If not, let me just say it's awesome. For one, other than Taka (be expected to see a lot of this phrase once FS drops), it knocks down normal and counter. Doesn't seem special? It's a 14 frame mid, double-handed (only Aoi can reverse it), with really good reach, and can ring out over short walls (even with the [P] follow-up). Ideally you'll want to input [6][6][P][P] after the first hit, because the second [P] (the two slaps) are high and it can be ducked with ease. Against opponents who don't know this, the followup can stuff their counter attack (as long as it doesn't duck highs) as [6][6][P][P] is extremely delay-able (pay attention to this word, you'll see that this is a huge defining for Taka). Another note of caution (or glee if you're facing Taka) is if [6][6][P] lands on you while crouching, the follow ups will whiff, wasting precious time that could be used with setting up a vicious guessing game on wake-up.

Allegedly a CH [6][6][P] can lead to a decent combo (only against Goh? it say in the description, but maybe it might work on others?)

Regardless, it's a very good attack.

That's enough for right now. Need sleep.

I hope to Finish off the [P] section of the movelist sometime this week. Ideally the whole movelist before I leave for Japan.

Modelah and EvenPit like this.
  2. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [6][3][2][1][4][P]
    ====
    [6][3][2][1][4][P]- This is his Hundred Hand slap like attack. Outside of combos (after [4][3][P] bound, or wall splat), I have no idea where this fits in. [6][3][2][1][4][P][P]+[K], a MHM sobers one DP.

[4][P]
    ====
    [4][P]-This is a very important tool for Taka. Why? It is the only single hit move that covers his back. Sure, the last hit of [P][P][P][P][P][P] and the second hit of [2][P]+[K][P] can cover his back, in a game where sidestep is more powerful (and risky), [4][P] is one of his most important tools. (it also sobers one dp)

The move itself is a 17 frame high and has a few follow ups:
    1.[4][P][P]_[4][P][P][P]
    2.[4][P][P]+[K]
    3.[4][P][P]+[K][P]+[K]+[G]_[4][P][P]+[K]+[G]_[4][P][P][P]+[K]+[G]

1. The second hit of this series has a similar animation, as a bitch-slap, but it covers his stomach. On Counter hit, the final [P], a back-check, combos. On block however, the third hit is -15... but like many Taka strings, this is very delay-able. While not the best string ever, this HHM is still useful namely because of how delay-able it is, and it is a decent combo-ender, leads knock down and/or wallsplat.
    2. [4][P][P]+[K] is quite possibly one of the most frightening tools near a wall. Imagine this, you're facing off against Taka, the health standing irrelevant, but you're cornered. Your options are to evade out of the corner (there is more space if you step to Taka's back (and hey, he has fewer moves that cover that) or just block and wait to maybe have to break a 80 damage 50/50 in the form of a throw. You step to his back and catch a counter hit [4][P] in the face, the [P]+[K] (a mid head-butt) follow-up combos, causing a heavy wall stagger, which then leads to...
    3. A [P]+[K]+[G] input goes into his Tachiai stance>[P]+[K]>half life+ combo. I have yet to see the [P]+[K]+[G]>[P]+[K] get blocked in any vids ever, so I'm going to assume it's guaranteed. If I'm wrong, well, his stance is still a frightening thing to face when cornered. Of course you can enter into this stance after [4][P]_[4][P][P] as well, for mind games.

[4][6][P]/[6][6][6_][P]+[K]
    ====
    [4][6][P]/[6][6][6_][P]+[K]- This is one of Taka's Byakkou (double palm/yelling and flashy)moves, but it has good range so it is more of slow (17 frame) hybrid of Akira's [​IMG][4][6][P] or Wolf's [4][6][P] that really sucks on block (-18). It causes heavy wall splats, does variable damage based on range (30~60 on normal hit), and sobers one point. It looks flashy as a combo ender, but I rarely use it. [6][6][6_][P]+[K] basically the same move.

[4][4][P]
    ====
    [4][4][P]- This is a rare move within Taka's repertoire, as it is a full circular. It's 17 frames, -3 on block (technically more), 2 on hit and 6 on counter. This move has a built in strength/weakness: it leads to BT. This means, if blocked, you have more than -3 of disadvantage. If ducked, free back throw from the enemy. If Wolf RAWs it, he get a back throw. If it hits you have decent options from BT. If it hits and causes a wall stagger, this is a frightening move.

Remember the situation earlier where you're cornered? Instead, if you step either direction, you'll get smacked , wall staggered and can lead to possible a free BT [K], where Taka throws out a knee that leads to a crumple (only on staggers or CH). It's very scary stuff.

[4][3][P]
    ====
    [4][3][P]- This is Taka's high bound move (like, for reference Jeffry's [4][3][P]+[K]), and it looks similar to Jeffry's. It's a 24 frame mid, is +1 on block, and knocks down on hit. Not sure if you can in Ver. A, but you might be able to combo with [1][P][P]>[K]/[3][P]+[K] or similar. Also, you can enter in [P]+[K]+[G] and got into his stance (good for wall combos with stance [P]+[K]). It's a very important move, but as a stand alone attack it's okay, as if it is stepped, you can be punished.

[4][1][2][3][6][P]
    ====
    [4][1][2][3][6][P]-The Fly Swat!

(1:48, Fly Swat> [6_][P]>[6][P]+[K][P][P], also at :57, PPPPPPPPPP against ST opponent)

As the video shows, HCF[P] has armor against Punch and elbow attacks, that don't knock down. Unless it has changed, that included [2][P] as well. HCF[P] is a 25 frame mid, it's -8 on block, +4 on hit, and leads to a decent combo on counter. This is an awesome move.

[2][P]
    ====
    [2][P]- A lot has been written about [2][P], this one doesn't seem different (maybe slightly longer range?). Use it.

[​IMG][6][P]
    ====
    [​IMG][6][P]- This is just like [P][P][6][P], aside from doing slightly more damage and stuff. This move knock down, is only -8 on block, sobers one dp, covers Taka's Stomach, and is a true rarity in that it is his only mid half-circ (aside from [P][P][6][P], and BT [P]+[K]). Leads to a nice wall splat as well, and could easily fit into that previously illustrated corned opponent scenario.

[3][P]
    ====
    [3][P]- This move resembles Taka's [3][P], but it his High now. It's 17 frames and has a [P]+[G] hit throw. This move isn't too important because:
    1. It's high, not that fast, and unsafe on block (-13). -13 isn't too bad, but with Taka, things like Jacky's [P][P][6][P][K] is a combo (but doesn't knock down).
    2. You're playing Taka, you have better, quicker or mid hitting, combo starters, or half circulars.

Only use this move if you want to be flashy. Also the throw sobers one dp, and a final note: the [P]+[G] timing is very quick. Do it as you would VF5 Jeffry's [6][6][P]+[K]:[P]+[G].

[3][3][P]
    ====
    [3][3][P]- This is Taka's big launcher. Think of it as Kenka Upper or Youhou (Jeff and Akira's [3][3][P]) on steroids. It does 5 more damage than [3][3][P]+[K] and has more range ([3][3][P]+[K] has long range too). It's a little slow at 22 frames, but this is an amazing launcher in terms of how much damage you can cause. It's -15 on block, naturally. It also sobers.

[1][P]
    ====
    [1][P]- This is the special low into a special mid ([1][P][P]) you see used in a lot of Taka's combos. The first hit is 14 frames and it can duck under highs. But to be perfectly honest, don't bother using this move outside of combos. It isn't terrible (though [1][P][P] is -13 on block), but you have many better moves at your disposal.

EvenPit and Modelah like this.
  3. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [K]
    ====
    [K]- This is the first move used in the first post. A 17 frame mid that functions like a sidekick, as it causes heavy butt staggers versus backdashes, causes crumples on side turned, and has great range. It also hits off the ground for additional damage (so does [3][3][P] though). It's -6 on block, +1 on hit and +6 on counter. Over all, a great move.

[6][K]
    ====
    [6][K]-This knee bears similarity to Aoi's [6][K] and Vanilla Brad's [6][K] in that it is counter hit only launch, but safe on block, and follow ups. It's 18 frames, has decent range, safe on block (-8), and -1 on hit. The follow ups are all delay-able so if the opponent evades and trys to attack, they just might be hit with the following moves.

[6][K][P] hits high, and if it counters [6][K][P][P] combos. [6][K][P][P] also is a mC 18 frame punisher versus Taka. You can also enter into stance after the first [P]. [6][K][P][P] is unsafe on block though, at -16, so don't use it too much as a stand alone attack. In fact, the most you should use it as is as combo ender. Last hit sobers one dp.

[6][K][K] is also kinda delay-able MM, it's -15 on block, but it causes a beat-down effect. If I remember correctly, you can do a [1][P][P]>[K] afterwards.

[4][K]
    ====
    [4][K]- Taka does a front mid kick, and the [4][K][P] follow up (a stomach covering high) is a smack that puts the opponent in a side-turned situation. [4][K] is a 19 frame mid that is -7 on block, -2 on hit, 5 on counter. Not sure if it combos on normal hit but you can hit check it pretty easy. For the [P] follow up, -5 on block, 5 on hit (plus a side turned opponent), 9 on counter. It'd make sense that the opponent can duck the second hit if they block the first one, but I've never seen that happen (but then again, [4][K] isn't used that often).

*remember, aside from evading, this is the only way I know of that puts the opponent in ST

[2][K]
    ====
    [2][K]- Is a 17 low kick that is -15 on block, -4 on hit and allegedly +2 on counter. It recovers standing, and has no crouching properties, as it isn't as useful as other character's low kicks. That's fine, Taka has other good lows...

[3][K]
    ====
    [3][K]- Is a 17 frame knock-down sidekick. It has decent range, knocks down on any hit and is only -8 block. Really can't see a use for this move, I never used it. I never see Taka players in vids ever use it (maybe like one time ever). This isn't a very important move, because he has many better options.

*gonna skip over [P]+[K] moves and go to [K]+[G] because it is late and [K]+[G] is a short list*

[K]+[G]
    ====
    [K]+[G]- His 17 frame gut attack. Staggers crouched, hitcheckable [P] follow up. Useful as a combo ender, a decent poke (dunno what the reversal is though), and starts a simple 70ish damage combo, [K]+[G][P]>[4][K]+[G]. The first part is -8 on block, -2 on hit +5 on counter. [P] follow up is -15 on block, but is really easy to hitcheck.

[4][K]+[G]
    ====
    [4][K]+[G]- Taka's old downed attack. It's really slow, 38 frames, shitty if stepped (73 total frames), but it gives +3 on blocks and knocks down on hit. Also used as a heavy downed attack on those who are too lazy to get up.

[2]/[8][K]+[G]
    ====
    [2]/[8][K]+[G]-Taka does a majestic sumo stomp (half-circ in the direction you chose), and it hits low, giving you exactly 15 frames to deliver a free [P]+[K]>combo or [6][6][P]>over short wall. It's -15 on block and really slow at 36 frames, but it is really useful on wake up.

*that's enough for today*

Modelah likes this.
  4. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Good post! There's a lot of information here for newcomers to absorb and I think you hit the main points well. Allow me to write up some corrections/insights that I think would better fill out your post.

[P][P][P] is great because you can go into Tachiai, but you have to be careful because experienced players will low punch you out of it before you can get anything to come out. Against those players, the best thing to do is backdash or sidestep WITHOUT going into Tachiai and do a low throw. (See 5th round of my match against this Sarah player)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[P][P][6][P] is a great attack that covers his stomach, hits mid, can cause a wall splat (if the wall is facing your stomach) sobers a 1-dp, and it might be slightly delay-able (not too sure). </div></div>

Yes, the slap is delayable, and it also is good because like I wrote above, people want to low punch Taka when they see this series, so delaying it will cause a lot of players to try to low punch, and the slap will beat all of those efforts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[6][6][P]
    ====
    Allegedly a CH [6][6][P] can lead to a decent combo (only against Goh? it say in the description, but maybe it might work on others?) </div></div>

Yes, CH[6][6][P] leads to a combo but on everyone lighter than Goh. It's also worth noting that this has slight tech crouch properties at the startup of the move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[6][3][2][1][4][P]
    ====
    [6][3][2][1][4][P]- This is his Hundred Hand slap like attack. Outside of combos (after [4][3][P] bound, or wall splat), I have no idea where this fits in. [6][3][2][1][4][P][P]+[K], a MHM sobers one DP.</div></div>

This can be used to kill side-steps, because the first attack is two hits and it'll track if they try to do anything. It's also good in situations where you don't know if someone is going to duck or side step because the first attack is mid, high.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[4][4][P]
    ====
    [4][4][P]- This is a rare move within Taka's repertoire, as it is a full circular. It's 17 frames, -3 on block (technically more), 2 on hit and 6 on counter. This move has a built in strength/weakness: it leads to BT. This means, if blocked, you have more than -3 of disadvantage. If ducked, free back throw from the enemy. If Wolf RAWs it, he get a back throw. If it hits you have decent options from BT. If it hits and causes a wall stagger, this is a frightening move.

Remember the situation earlier where you're cornered? Instead, if you step either direction, you'll get smacked , wall staggered and can lead to possible a free BT [K], where Taka throws out a knee that leads to a crumple (only on staggers or CH). It's very scary stuff.</div></div>

It's worth mentioning that this attack leads to a heavy wall stagger and if that happens, BT K is guaranteed on hit, leading to a combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[4][3][P]
    ====
    [4][3][P]- This is Taka's high bound move (like, for reference Jeffry's [4][3][P]+[K]), and it looks similar to Jeffry's. It's a 24 frame mid, is +1 on block, and knocks down on hit. Not sure if you can in Ver. A, but you might be able to combo with [1][P][P]>[K]/[3][P]+[K] or similar. Also, you can enter in [P]+[K]+[G] and got into his stance (good for wall combos with stance [P]+[K]). It's a very important move, but as a stand alone attack it's okay, as if it is stepped, you can be punished.</div></div>

As a standalone attack it's actually quite good because it's very good on wake up when your opponent tech rolls, and yes, it's comboable but it's dependent on weight class. You'll have to do either [3][3][P]+[K] or [3][P]+[K] or [K] depending on weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[3][P]
    ====
    [3][P]- This move resembles Taka's [3][P], but it his High now. It's 17 frames and has a [P]+[G] hit throw. This move isn't too important because:
    1. It's high, not that fast, and unsafe on block (-13). -13 isn't too bad, but with Taka, things like Jacky's [P][P][6][P][K] is a combo (but doesn't knock down).
    2. You're playing Taka, you have better, quicker or mid hitting, combo starters, or half circulars.

Only use this move if you want to be flashy. Also the throw sobers one dp, and a final note: the [P]+[G] timing is very quick. Do it as you would VF5 Jeffry's [6][6][P]+[K]:[P]+[G].</div></div>

it's actually not a high, but a mid, also knocks off one DP from Shun. Along with [4][3][P] it's good on wake up when they tech roll. Also very good if you backdash away from a low punch because it's got deceptive range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[3][3][P]
    ====
    [3][3][P]- This is Taka's big launcher. Think of it as Kenka Upper or Youhou (Jeff and Akira's [3][3][P]) on steroids. It does 5 more damage than [3][3][P]+[K] and has more range ([3][3][P]+[K] has long range too). It's a little slow at 22 frames, but this is an amazing launcher in terms of how much damage you can cause. It's -15 on block, naturally. It also sobers.</div></div>

Worth mentioning that this causes a different float animation on everyone except other Taka players, meaning some combos might not work, but also some combos are only possible with this attack.[/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[6][K]
    ====
    [6][K]-This knee bears similarity to Aoi's [6][K] and Vanilla Brad's [6][K] in that it is counter hit only launch, but safe on block, and follow ups. It's 18 frames, has decent range, safe on block (-8), and -1 on hit. The follow ups are all delay-able so if the opponent evades and trys to attack, they just might be hit with the following moves.

[6][K][P] hits high, and if it counters [6][K][P][P] combos. [6][K][P][P] also is a mC 18 frame punisher versus Taka. You can also enter into stance after the first [P]. [6][K][P][P] is unsafe on block though, at -16, so don't use it too much as a stand alone attack. In fact, the most you should use it as is as combo ender. Last hit sobers one dp.

[6][K][K] is also kinda delay-able MM, it's -15 on block, but it causes a beat-down effect. If I remember correctly, you can do a [1][P][P]>[K] afterwards. </div></div>

Never do [6][K][P][P] on counter, it's better to do [6][K][P] Tachiai [P][K] for your combo. On light weights you can do [6][K][1][P][P][3][4][P] into combo.

That's it! Good work on your post.

Modelah likes this.
  5. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    With the combination of Reno and Sebo's efforts, this Taka guide is so masterful that I feel like I could play him at a decent level when the game first comes out.

Thanks a bunch guys!

6. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Thank for the info guys, doesn't seem like there's much interest in Taka right now but i'm sure that'll change once the console port is released [​IMG]

7. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I'm interested in Taka.

This has been really useful for me and I'm sure it has for others.

Good work, fellas!

8. stpROCK

stpROCK Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Maldarak
    XBL:
    Ad4M
    I want to play Taka as well. So thank you guys for this helpful Guide. Keep it comin'!

9. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Hopefully I'll have more time soon to get to work on [P]+[K] moves... they're godly.

10. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [P]+[K]
    ====
    A 15 frame headbutt. This is Taka's version of a standing palm, though a little slower and bears similarity to Wolf's [4][P] but has the added bonus of being a headbutt (read as: only Aoi can do something about it). It's input is completely idiot proof and leads to very easy (if not, kinda boring) combos that do very good damage. Also use this as an anti-Lei Fei-move along with [6][6][P], it's a very good wrench to throw into LF's slow attacks.

This is the attack you use after HCB[P]+[G], after [2]_[8][K]+[G] hits, and not sure if it still does this, but after Tachiai [P]+[K]+[G] (cat's trick) on a blocking opponent (maybe only on sideturned? didn't get it to work once in a non-ST-situation during NCR/Southtown). Only -5 on block too.

[6][P]+[K]
    ====
    If you've played VF3, you know this move. Three mids in a row, all of which are extremely delay-able. The only difference is that the final hit is now a double palm and knocks down (but is -15 on block). First hit is -6 on block, -3 on hit and 4 on counter. I think [6][P]+[K][P] natural combos, and is -8 on block, -4 on hit and 4 on counter with an added bonus of being able to enter into Tachiai after it.

It's a decent mid string, but it will probably be used mostly as a combo-ender.

[4][P]+[K]
    ====
    This shit is too good in the current version, and if (for example) say Jeffry had the same properties on his [3][P][P] he'd be tiered higher (no doubt). [4][P]+[K][P] natural combos even if it is delayed (a very long and easy to hit check-delay, mind you). The first hit is -8 on block, and if it ever hits, just finish it and do a cheesy combo. If you use this a lot (wisely), you can really make your opponent fear you and keep standing (it combos even if it hits a croucher) and blocking, and Taka's throw game is one of the best, if no the best, in the game. The second hit is -15 on block, so be wary.

[4][4][P]+[K]
    ====
    Like Lau's old [1][P]+[K], Pai's [1][P], FS Blaze's [1][P]+[K], and Aoi's [4][4][P]+[K], this move serves one function. Evade a short ranged attack and then automatically punish it in one execution of the move. It's a relatively short-ranged, slow (27 frames), and high headbutt (also -10 on block), but when it lands it does a lot of damage. Just input that [4][3][P] fast so you won't drop the combo. Sobers one DP.

[3][P]+[K]
    ====
    This is a 16 frame mid, decent range, double-palm, hits opponent who fail to tech (like [K]), and on ST it leads to a crumple. While it's -8 on block, it pushes back a little and on hit it's 3 and counter +8! Very good if an opponent is near a wall due to the pushback. Might evade highs due to animation?

[1][P]+[K]
    ====
    This is a slightly shorter ranged version of Wolf's old [3][P]+[K]. It's -20 on block but it ducks highs immediately into it's animation, and can even crush some mids (depending on range, stance, timing, and the mid in question). It cover's Taka's stomach and is 23 frame in speed. But regardless of it's speed and -20 on block, an opponent facing a Taka should be condition to stand and block [4][P]+[K]s.

[2][P]+[K]
    ====
    The old double hand swipes. First covers the stomach, second hit covers his back. It's one of Taka's quickest lows, at 18 frames (BT [2][P] and [2][K] are 17). First hit is -15 on block, -5 on hit, -1 on counter. Second hit is -20 on block, -4 on hit and knocks down on counter. Not sure if combos on normal hit, but it does on counter for sure. [2][P]+[K] alone is a good poke, and in a corner situation can lead to wall staggers due to it's half-circ properties.

[3][3][P]+[K]
    ====
    This is Taka's knee class attack (17 frame) and it's a double handed attack with really good range (a common theme with Taka if you haven't noticed by now). While the attack is -17 on block, the speed/range/double-handedness make up for it. Can't really say more on this, other than it's an awesome whiff punisher.

[​IMG][4][6][P]+[K]
    ====
    A 40~65 damage, 24 frame double-fist attack that may hit grounded (or is it just [​IMG][4][6][P]?). It's -18 on block, so that and it's speed after resulted me in never really trying it. It does a shit load of damage, and if near a wall, say goodbye to more than half of the opponent's health.

Modelah likes this.
  11. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Forgot;

[4][1][2][3][6][P]+[K]
    ====
    This is a decent move versus a rising opponent, and the uncharged form as a poke. It's initially 18 frames in speed, -5 on block 5 on hit and 9 on ch (!), but with a maximum charge it becomes 41 frames and staggers on block or hit. If you remember VF3 Taka, it looks similar to his old [4][P] (maybe with slightly less range), which means it is also linear as it's mid palm thrust.

[P]+[K]+[G]
    ====

[P]
    ====
    Is a full-circ one-back-handed bitch-slap. Leads to a head crumple thingy on hit. Make sure to input that [4][3][P] quickly afterwards or your combo attempt will fail. Remember, this is one of two of Taka's full-circulars, and is his only option to beat step while in stance. It's 18 frames, and -8 on block. Sobers Shun by 2 points.

[K]
    ====
    This is a quick (17 frame) low kick to the opponent's foot. While it is -15 on block, it is one of those rare lows that give advantage (+4!) on hit and crumples on counter.

[P]+[K]
    ====
    Looks like his [3][P]+[K] (double-handed goodness) except this one knocks down on hit. This is 16 frames (making it his fastest tool from stance), and is the only mid at his disposal as well. However, it's main use in most vids you've seen in is as a wall splat-er. An example is with the aforementioned [4][P][P]+[K]_Wall-hit_[P]+[K]+[G]>[P]+[K]_Wall-Splat_obscenely easy combo.

[P]+[K]+[G]
    ====
    This is a 16 frame high-guard break. Taka takes both hands and slaps at the opponent's ears, allegedly (haven't been able to land this) giving you 15 frames (a free [P]+[K]) on a blocking opponent. On hit it's -4 and counter -2.

[4][P]+[K]+[G]
    ====
    Taka stands up from his stance, takes a step back while making a groaning like noise. Makes a beautiful taunt. During this animation you can input [P], and Taka throws out a 20 frame (and linear) elbow that staggers on block/hit/counter.

[2]_[8][P]+[K]+[G]
    ====
    From the stance, Taka does an uncharacteristic jump in the chosen direction (it is OM-like in it's movement range). This a pretty evasive technique that can avoids linear strikes and sometimes wake-up kicks. Whether or not if you can punish the avoided attack is entirely dependent on the move from which you dodged.

Hope to have Jump/BT/Downed/Throws done by the end of this week.

Modelah likes this.
  12. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [7]_[8]_[9][G] (JUMP)
    ====
    Taka's jump isn't the best in the game, as he doesn't move as far as other characters. This means, it's less useful as a means of movement (and it is harder to jump over a downed opponent). The offset of this is that he is a fat fuck, and compared to a light weight being attacked out of the air, improv-combos (started by a [P] or whatever on an airborne opponent) will do very little damage. Jump is a good tool to use every once in a while, as an alternative to a dash/SS/OM, depending on the kind of opponent you're facing. It's also a nice way to mind-fuck your opponent.

For example, in VF5FS, all characters have at least 4 attacks available to them through jumps. Taka's aren't the best jump attacks, but some of them have their place. Also, you don't even need to use these jump attack, you can just jump and then attempt a throw or any of the many attacks you have.

Jumping, if used wisely, can be an excellent means of changing the tempo of the match. And if you're hit out of it, you're using Taka.

[7]_[8]_[9][P]
    ====
    This attack is slow (all of Taka's jump attacks are slow to be honest), and I cannot see where to fit it into a my game play, but it will most likely have a use against someone BT or ST. It's -4 on block, 5 on hit, and 8 on counter which isn't too bad. Of course on a ST/BT opponent you get more frames out the hit, so this is where it can be used every once in a bluemoon. *theory fighter*

A highly specific instance of where I've seen this used was in a vid versus a Sarah (that probably uses moonsault too much): the Sarah attempted a [9][P]+[K]+[G] and the Taka player performed [7][P] at roughly the same moment. The Sarah lands in BT and the Taka's [7][P] connects, leading to a free BT low throw. Not bad, but probably isn't something you can often plan to use.

[7]_[8]_[9][G][P]
    ====
    A high that looks similar to regular [P], except it's 1 on block and knocks down on any hit. If it hits you can continue to mash [P]s and you'll have a six hit combo. Overall... uh, cool? But not too useful.

[7]_[8]_[9][K]
    ====
    This is possibly best jump related attack other than just a jump into [4][P]+[K][P]. Best used if you know a low is coming (like a rising attack). Taka will stomp down, knocking the opponent down, leading to a free [1][P][P]>[3][3][P]+[K]/[3][P]+[K]/[K] combo. The frames on this are mystery.

[7]_[8]_[9][G][K]
    ====
    Very similar in appearance and usage to the old "while landing" [K]s nearly all characters had back in the day. It has kinda decent range and is -6 on block, 4 on hit, and 7 on counter. If I remember correctly, it pushes back a little. Might make a fun tool against a wake-up against an opponent near a wall.

Back-Turned
    ====
    Taka can go in BT via [4][4][P]. BT is best used if you know [4][4][P] will hit (preferable on CH), and the best situation is if the opponent has a wall to there back. I haven't used these too much, so I cannot give too much advice, aside from what I've seen in vids ([K] vs. wall-staggered opponents).

BT [P]
    ====
    This can go into [P][P][P][P][P][P]. It is 12 frames, but -2 on block, 2 on hit, and 7 on counter, so it's different from regular [P]. However, it's the fastest attack from BT, so it might be useful to beat out counter attacks that don't tech-crouch.

BT [2][P]
    ====
    This is similar to [2][P]+[K], but the frames are also different. It's only -8 on block, -5 on hit, and even on counter. It also comes out at 17 frames, one frame faster than [2][P]+[K]. It covers Taka's stomach.

BT [K]
    ====
    This is a 16 frame knee. It's -8 on block, -1 on hit, and on counter it crumples. If [4][4][P] causes a wall stagger, this is pretty much free and you can get a decent combo out of it.

BT [2][K]
    ====
    Similar to regular [2][K], except (wait for it...) the frames are different. It's 18 frames instead of 17, it -15 if block, -4 on hit, and 2 on counter. Covers stomach.

BT [P]+[K]
    ====
    This is a very interesting attack, and probably one of my favorites from BT. It covers the stomach, is 18 frames and hits mid. -8 on block, but on hit it leads to Taka's catch throw where you have three throw options.

BT [4][P]+[K]+[G]
    ====
    Never used this but I assume it's similar to [4][P]+[K]+[G] but it's from BT. Yeah.....

Downed

[3][P]
    ====
    The double slap. 13 damage, similar to all light pounces, in that if it whiffs, you're left wide open.

[8][P]
    ====
    The fatty jumps on you. If I remember correctly, can hit back (or side... or both depending on timing?) rollers. Looks fun. I always make a fart noise when I land it. Does 22 damage.

[4][K]+[G]
    ====
    Does 28 damage. Use if if you know it will land, like after [K]+[G][P] combo. Might catch backrollers?

Modelah likes this.
  13. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [P]+[G]
    ====
    This is basically the same as almost everyone's neutral throw, in that is does 40 damage, and it's least likely to be broken out side of when the opponent has a sliver of health left.

[6][P]+[G]
    ====
    Sobers 1, does 50 damage. Better to use HCF[P]+G

[6][6][P]+[G]
    ====
    55 damage, great for stylish front ringout.

HCF[P]+[G]
    ====
    The old headrocker. Sober 2, does 80(?) damage. This should be your main [6] throw.

[4][P]+[G]
    ====
    Does 50 damage (35? on wall hit), is an excellent ringout throw to your back.

[​IMG][4][P]+[G]
    ====
    60 damage, 40 against a wall (to your back) and allows for combos.

HCB[P]+[G]
    ====
    This is the throw where Taka picks you up by the throat, punches the opponent in the stomach and get 15 frames and 15 damage. Afterwards, you can do [P]+[K]>combo for about 80 damage, [6][6][P][P] to ring out over a half-fence (range dependent), or dash up and do something different. More often than not, the first option is the best to do pretty much 99.9% of the time.

Wall [6][6][P]+[G]
    ====
    The wall hump. 70 damage.

Wall HCF[P]+[G]
    ====
    Does a bunch of palms and then a big one to the face. 80 Damage.

Side [P]+[G]/[2][P]+[G]
    ====
    Right side does 50, Left does 55.

Back [P]+[G]/[2][P]+[G]
    ====
    60 on standing, 65 on crouch.

[2][P]+[G]
    ====
    Basic low throw, does 50.

[3][P]+[G]
    ====
    Another basic low throw, 60.

[1][P]+[G]
    ====
    This low throw is magical. Taka picks up the opponent, trades places and allows for a free [P]+[K]>combo. Against good opponents, expect this one to be broken the most, but at least the other low throws are technically "free." Very good for setting up a ringout to your back.

Catch throw [4][6][P]+[G]
    ====
    Okay range, 15 frames (maybe can get it for free where [P]+[K] applies?). Leads to a 3-way guessing game. [P]+[G] does 40 damage, [4][P]+[G] does 50, [6][P]+[G] does 20~ damage (+plus [1][P][P]>combo).

Summary:
    Main throws should be HCF/HCB[P]+[G], [4][P]+[G] for potential rear ringout.

====
    That's all his moves and all I know about them. If Reno wants to pitch in again that would be great, but I think I covered most of the basics. Though I'm not sure of the oki options attached to the throws.

Coming up next will be combos, then punishment, then a Versus Taka section, maybe a huge summery post and then maybe something else.

Modelah likes this.
  14. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Good job Sebo! Here are some notes about the rest of the move list.

- [P][+][K] is high, so be careful how you use it. also, you can use this as a "slam" move that has a 1 frame (?) window to tech, but if they don't, you get [3][P][K] for free.

- Even though [4][P][+][K] is -8 on block, not many players will try to punish you if they block the first because the second attack is so delayable. Use this to your advantage to keep the pressure on with the natural followup, elbows and throws.

- [1][P][+][K] tech crouches on start up, so for strings like Pai's [3][K][P][P], etc. you can block the first hit then do this attack to tech crouch and counter attack.

- [7]_[8]_[9][G][P] launches on hit, so on lightweights you can do [7]_[8]_[9][G][P] , [P], [4][3][P] into combo. It's not very useful but you have it at your disposal...

- BT [4][P]+[K]+[G] still counters elbows and high punches, so Taka will take the hit and still smack them. This is SUPER useful against some characters like Shun, Pai and Kage who have position exchange throws and want to follow up with an elbow or punch after.

- [4][P]+[G] also leads to short wall combos.

- HCB[P]+[G] combo on lightweights is max 90 damage, so good players will know this is the max damage throw to counter against. That means free HCF[P]+[G]!

Modelah likes this.
  15. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [​IMG] Thanks for the additional info.
    -----
    I think I have lost interest in continuing Taka`s shit, but hopefully once the game drops, someone will have the motivation to continue... or after I finish a lot of my upcoming FS-Jeffry 101.

I keep ya`ll posted.

16. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I love you.

17. FallingEdge

FallingEdge Well-Known Member

This is a fantastic guide. Thank you very much for the posts and comments regarding the moves.

While playing as Taka, is there a good 'get the fuck off me' move? I feel like that as I'm getting rushed down, I can't really do anything. Playing online makes it hard to sidestep but characters like Sarah or Pai who just recently rush me down and do 2p ruin my flow. Is the best thing I can do is just be patient, block, sidestep and try to punish?

18. Maxou

Maxou Well-Known Member

Thank you for this work.
    This is really usefull.

19. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Just something my friend noticed.. Apparently Taka cannot CD fuzzy in -5 for some reason. I tried fuzzying after blocked [6][P] and it didnt work despite being -5. Taka some kind of special case?

20. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

since throws are 10 frames now, nobody can cd fuzzy at -5