1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Terminology Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Pai_Garu, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

While doing the translation for FT info, myself and others have noticed that the older terminologies used before do not work as well for the Final Tuned system. It seems that the people who came up with the terms before where either not very proficient in Japanese or just wanted to invent their own terms. It seems now that many people have begin to adopt a more literal and direct translation of terminologies, such as nitaku instead of 50/50 guess. So now I want to see what people's opinions are about what will be used from now.

The foremost concern that I have right now is the counter system, as talked about in Goh's thread. Translating literally, the Japanese use the system of

Normal Hit
    Small Counter Hit
    Medium Counter Hit
    Major (Large) Counter Hit
    or as Llanfair suggested Hard Counter Hit
    Recovery Counter Hit - This is the tricky one. Before, this was referred to as mC or minor counter, but now using minor counter seems to make it confusing with small counter. The literal Japanese translation is hardened counter hit. Think of it as the hardened state you are in when you whiff a move. So my suggestion is Recovery Counter Hit.

I guess people can pitch in and suggest what they want.

2. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I prefer the terms suggested before:

MC: Minor counter

YC: Yellow counter
    RC: Red counter
    SRC: Shaky red counter

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I think the color counter system makes more immediate sense. You wouldn't have to learn the counter names and then associate them with the color observed onscreen, the two would be the same. The only thing I don't like is the use of the word "shaky" but that's just me.

GE

4. Pai_Garu

It just seems to makes a bit more sense to me situation wise to use the small, medium, large notation since it more accurately describes the frames after the hit. (Small is less and Large is more.) Even before no one referred to MC as Orange Counter, etc.....

And I would hate to say Shaky Red Counter as well....

5. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I agree with colors being used. BRC perhaps? (Big red counter) or something? Could always say that SRC stands for "Screen Red Counter" or something /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyways, I think the YC and RC denotations have probably already become the norm and loveable.
    I also kinda like the differentiating from mC (minor counter) this system works by.

/KiwE

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't like the color counter system but I think it makes a certain kind of sense for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

Probably the descriptive counter system is more useful in conversation than using colors though. As long as we lose shaky (or any variant) I'm happy.

GE

7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Well you could always refer to it as "Super red counter" /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Yellow/Red terms are more descriptive, but they DO sound goofy.

On the other hand, Small/Medium/Large doesn't sound like it would be confusing at all. I'm torn.

Time to turn the poll feature back on and have a vote!!

Maybe

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I think we can all agree that normal hit (NH) and minor counter (mC) can remain the same. As for the new major counters, I talked to Llanfair about this before in preparation for the FT command lists on the site. Instead of the MC column I need to have three columns, and my preference for now is:

LCH: light counter hit
    MCH: medium counter hit
    HCH: heavy counter hit

9. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I like the color terminology.

Since the screen shakes with a shakey red counter, I'm fine with that, too.

Red = Medium = extra thought process and non-relateable adjectives.

Red = Red = ahh, sensible efficiency.

Besides, think Yamagishi: "HAI! SHAKEY RED COUNTER!"

Also...
    [ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:
    LCH: light counter hit
    MCH: medium counter hit
    HCH: heavy counter hit

[/ QUOTE ]

So when someone asks, "how can you tell when you get a heavy counter?" You have to say, "well your opponent flashes red and the screen gets all shakey." Too much explanation.

"So since Jeffrey is heavy, only he can get Heavy Counter Hit? Ya know, shakey the screen, and all?"

SDE(SRC) -> [2_][6][P], [P] = cool.
    SDE(HCH) (screen gets all shakey) -> [2_][6][P], [P] = too much typing.

Not to mention...

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:
    And I would hate to say Shaky Red Counter as well....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're one of those anti-SPoD people! You are too mature! Go talk to PhoenixDth!

SRCoD!!!! SHAKEY RED COUNTER of DOOM!

10. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DRE said:

I prefer the terms suggested before:

MC: Minor counter

YC: Yellow counter
    RC: Red counter
    SRC: Shaky red counter

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded

its pretty clear from a new perspective which is which, and once you get used to the terms it really doesnt matter what it is, as long as its abbreviatable. And what's wrong with shaky, foo???

11. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The problem with SRC is that.. according to Srider's system changes post, the heavy counter hit is not red? So shouldn't you all be wanting SYC because it's yellow? Or was that a typo Srider?

All the VF publications are going to use Light/Med/Heavy, so for consistency I wanted to stick to that. Explanations are always inevitable when it comes to abbreviations anyway (how many times has someone asked what an MC was?). Part of adapting/learning FT is to understand the three tier counter hit system, and once you do you'll understand that small/light/yellow counter are all the same.

12. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

ok im leaning towards what Myke said, given that if they change the colors perhaps, the entire language would fall apart

mC or RH - minor counter/recovery hit
    NH - normal hit
    SC - small counter
    MC - medium counter
    HC - heavy counter

I suppose it doesnt really matter, as long as it works for everyone

13. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

i vote for the YC, RC and SRC system as well. i'm just mentally conditioned to respond to that terminology now due to myke's post where he explains them in detail. i'm guessing everyone else is also used to those terms which would explain the reluctancy to adapt to entirely new terminology (even if it is for consistency's sake).

agreed that minor counter should stay mC and normal hit NH.

regarding the shaky red counter, i also hate saying that but you can use the S for anything really so how about:

serendipitous red counter (appropriate given that i doubt anyone actively hunts for SRC's while playing right?) /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to quickly second Sikyo. I'm also neutral on the two sets of abbreviations (I suspect people will use whatever they want to use) but I think it'd be nice if we can keep the abbreviation to two letters.

I.e. HC instead of HCH. The extra H is a bit redundant.

As for distinguishing between major counter and medium counter...I think the term "major counter" is basically obsolete. One should just say "counter" or use the specific type of counter. Plus, I find it forgivable if people used MC to indicate major counter instead of medium counter as the two are closely linked anyway.

Hence:

Counter
    mC
    SC
    MC
    HC

Between mC and RC, I prefer mC since it's been used for so long.

15. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yeah I was just saying in irc to Siyko that the H can be dropped off.

I prefer Light over Small btw.

Light, Medium, Heavy

fits better than

Small, Medium, Heavy

no? Think about SF button terminology... we're talking about degrees of the counter hit, not size.

I'm still going with LC, MC, HC for the command lists /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

as a newbie i suggest going with sikyo's suggestion of changing minor counter to recovery hit.

nh
    rh
    lc
    mc
    hc

that way there is no confusion between minor counter and medium counter. i dont see why a recovery hit is a counter of any kind anyway.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Sounds good! I somehow got confused between using small and large vs. light and heavy.

18. Pai_Garu

Sorry, HC effect is orange. That was a typo.

It's been corrected now.

Also, hitting the opponent during the recovery of the animation would still be a counter hit because you are counter hitting them out of their attacks.

19. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    [ QUOTE ]
    as a newbie i suggest going with sikyo's suggestion of changing minor counter to recovery hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think minor counter should be changed, simply so that we don't have another new term. People have been able to distinguish from mC (minor counter) and MC (major counter) so distinguishing between mC (minor counter) and MC (medium counter) shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I know where you're coming from though and as srider said minor counter might be confused with light counter. Changing it might make it a little more consistent but I was thinking that for the sake of simplicity it would be worth trying to add as few new terms as possible.

Of course using YC, RC and SRC wouldn't cause any confusion with mC /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

20. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's a Pink Counter that Sega may have forgot to mention. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif