1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

uploading some Pai fight replays online. any tips and stratedies are welcome

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Kagamizen, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    been uploading for other characters as well. She is my favorite to use.

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

these are a lot of vids. Is there a specific match that you would like feedback on first? That way I can give you specific tips. I'd give you some about he eileen set, but you beat him badly even without max dmg punishes. The best fights for us to look at would be ones where you got destroyed or where you felt pushed to your limits.

3. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    the lion fight was a tough one. the first 2 rounds i got destroyed.
    both of the jacky matches went down to the wire.
    i lost a round in the sarah match and lost 2 rounds in the kage match.

so i guess watch the Lion and jacky matches. i have another replay of an Akira fight where I was getting destroyed and only won cause the guy got overzealous and drove himself out the ring twice

Tricky likes this.
  4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Be careful throwing out [9][K][K]. The second hit is punishable on block. You shouldn't really be using both hits unless you are punishing something (like after succesful sidestep) or in a combo. You can use just [9][K] as a poke though.

Be careful attacking right after wakeup (rising up from knockdown). It may work against weak players but not against good players. Against good players you will lose always. You should wakup with just block and throwescape, unless you figured your opponent is not very good and cant time his attacks well. I noticed this in the Lion match.

Generic things: you should probably start using Pai [3] [P] more as a low poke, and learn the charge-cancel thingy (if you press [3] [P] [K]-charge [G] with right timing, it recovers faster than just [3] [P].)
    You should also start throwing out more [2_] [3] [P] + [K], particularly after your low punch hits. Can be inputted as [3] [3] [P]+[K] from standing. It is a safe mid counterhit launcher.

Lion: Lion is tough to fight because he is pretty much the only character who can effectively create mid/low mixups. Nearly all of his lows are punishable on block though (use [9][K][K] at first), and basically nobody online seems to use his safe lows except me..

Lions [8][K][K] first hit is mid, second hit can be ducked and punished, it is a move Lionplayers use a lot. Its the one where he hops, does 360 spin and kicks once with both legs.
    The move will hop over low attacks, so be caferul.

Jacky: Jacky [4][6][K][+][G] is punishable on block (-15), seen in your Jacky vid at 0:17. You can use [9][K][K] as punish at first, or, I believe launch with [K] and do some kind of combo?

Jacky has many special highs in his moves. These are moves that can be ducked but cant be interrupted with a low (unless your name is Lion grr :mad:). This means that you have to duck, see what whiffed, and punish, instead of trying to interrupt special highs with low punch. Keep this in mind against Jacky. His [P][P][P] string has a special high third hit. You got hit by that string twice in the first round (but not because of the special high though).

Jacky scissors kick is punishable on block (-15), see in your vid at 0:45. That was at max range though, so I dont know if you could have punished it with much. [9][K][K] is technically a punish.

Jacky sweep is heavily punishable on block (-18), seen in your vid at 1:12. Use [3][K][+][G] and combo.

Jacky flipkick is heavily punishable on block (-omgwtfbbqalot), seen in your vid at 1:18, but causes long blockstun which may throw people off. You could do dash into [3][K][+][G] or whatever is your heaviest launch on recovery counter.

This at first... :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Pai~Chun likes this.
  5. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Apparently the pai player was able to confirm 9K so it wasn't too bad there. The lack of 33P+K and 6P really bothers me along with the combo strings pai was throwing out. The other players fell for them but normally PPP2K is launcher punishable if blocked and only the first 2 hits are guaranteed when they are done outside of a juggle (with a few exceptions all of them regarding pai's guaranteed strings on taka). If you know they won't block them so be it just be mindful of that when you face someone that knows that. Pai's best punish for flip kick is 66KP and is fool proof online because no buffering is needed. The distance flip kick pushes you back don't matter to it because 66KP covers the distance instantly without having to dash in first, you have a free combo chance with it too. Stand K is her optimal punish for +15 standing by the way because it is a 14 frame kick and can lead to combos doing over 80 points for optimal damage.

You miss out on alot of damage too like after 46P+K, 2K+G or the few times I saw you land standing K and didn't followup it up with a combo. There is also the punishing part on both sides but I am not going to nitpick over that too much since you are learning the game some. You have aggression though and that is good at least. I could nitpick more but I am trying to be more positive here for a more detailed analysis well send me a personal message and I can tell you there.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    OK, well the guys you're fighting there have terrible defense and can't seem to land many combos let alone max damage (which really hurts her, as she's one of the lightest).
    It's good you can take off nice damage with the 3K+G > 6K+G > 2P > wsP+KP sequence, but as pointed out above by Manji, the 33P+K float can deal even more damage, and is much safer if it's blocked (only works on yellow flash though).
    Also think about the Boku stance she has, for example 3P4. You can do P+K from this to start more big combos, and it's only -6 on block. The lower the blocked frames, the less risky moves are, meaning you can attempt them more without being counter combo'd.
    Check out her throws as well, in the combo section here. 46P+G can be really scary if the other person can't deal with it properly.
    I noticed any time you get a knockdown, you tend to back off, but you can keep pressure on with moves like 46K+G, or a well timed 4P. If you find yourself needing to close the distance fast, you can try 66P+K, which comes in low into Boku or a combo, on counter hit.
    Use 6P to start pressure, and if you're coming under fire up close, try 3P+K to get them off you.
    You can tap up or down to sidestep (evade) moves that don't spin, and just hit 3K. If it hits on counter, you get the crumple hit into a good combo. Her 44KK sets up attacking from the side as well, but it's a risky, slower move to throw out up close. Try the 6P first and see if it hits, then go into it. As the two leaping kicks connect, start buffering the 466P+K motion on your controller, as if this shoulder ram move hits from the side, it also creates the crumple.

Perhaps play about with the 3PP6P string as well, slow the last hit down, and get ready to input the combo follow-ups if the uppercut hits.

Maybe run into you on one of the networks some time? I don't recognise any of those outfits so far ;)

7. Darksoul173

Darksoul173 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darksoul173
    The lion player is pretty bad...
    If you want to get better, play better players

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    BLACKSTAR likes this.
  8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

where are the new vids! We need more content to critique!!!

9. partyboy32

partyboy32 Active Member

XBL:
    PARTY BOY247 69
  10. Kagamizen

Kagamizen Member

PSN:
    Kagamizen
    XBL:
    Kagamizen
    thanks I will check out the vid. sorry about not updating. you get busy with things and forget other things