1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Using Aoi in PS2 VF4...to prep for VF5---possibly.

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Zone_Aoi, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Zone_Aoi

Zone_Aoi Member

Yes, so I recently bought VF4 (not Evo, unfortunately), and I've been playing as Aoi (first-time user, and I want to keep playing as her despite her harder-to-learn-and-master nature). On Kumite, I'm currently at 1st Dan status. Problem is, I can't progress further, and I'm more than certain it has to do with my lack of skillful knowledge to utilize her strengths.

I don't even know where to begin. I reverse VERY RARELY, if at all. I've come to like using the Ying-Yang stance, but I have NO IDEA how to followup after successfully using it, nor do I know when EXACTLY to utilize it. My offense lacks reliability: I've only found /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif[+]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (and its followups) to my liking, but I'm sure it's clear that my liking isn't going to give me many earned-through-skill victories.

And system-wise, I'm having significant trouble escaping throws (I've tried to learn the "multi-throw-escapes" mentioned in the trial training, but to no avail), even though I know the commands. Is there any way to read the opponent's movements and determine which throw escapes to use?

In any case, I REALLY NEED HELP, especially since this is my only source of training available if I ever intend to get VF5. ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED PLEASE! Thanks.

2. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Im sure some Aoi users will be able to help with specifics, I'm not one of them as my knowledge with Aoi wont be a patch on them. General advice though is: I wouldnt worry about multi-throw escapes at this time. Its a very tricky thing to learn and your time would be much better spent learning her moves, other peoples moves, combos etc. Theres no way to tell what throws they will use but generally opponents will use their strongest throws so its good to defend against that one. If you really want to try out throw escapes then just try escaping one throw. The ying-yang stance is good when you have a small distance and they are likely to close the gap with a standing punch or sidekick, there are certain follow ups to a reversal from it. If they were to side kick you, you can do B,B P+K which leads you to a combo. This applies to quite a few moves they would do against you but again I'll let an Aoi player fill you in. Hope that helps.

3. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Get EVO.

The tutorial goes over all the basics.

4. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Seems pointless getting evo if you're getting vf5, Im sure there are helpful Aoi players somewhere here.

5. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Re: Using Aoi in PS2 VF4...to prep for VF5---possi

hahahaha, long epic post was here

haha

6. Zone_Aoi

Zone_Aoi Member

Thanks Sebo! I'll be sure to heed its counsel well! And, I'll be sure to let you know how my progress is once I read and apply your advice into my gameplay...which'll probably take quite a while in my case.

Peace 'til Next.

7. Sebo

PSN:
    Sebopants

Don't take too much of what I say, I'm guessing based on what I know of Evo Aoi.

Just let us know if you improve.

Good luck.

8. Throwmasta

Throwmasta Well-Known Member

Sebo gave a lot of good strats that will work against human competition. Some will work against the AI, and some won't; especially vs. the higher ranked fighters in quest mode (which can be a mind-reading nightmare).

I played a lot of Aoi against the cpu, and I can add to that list, and give you some very effective strats that the cpu routinely falls for. Just remember, if you plan on playing human comp, don't become too heavily reliant on this stuff; as pattern based play gets picked up on quickly by most players.

Maybe these strats will help, but they are based on Evo. IMO, you should get Evo for the above mentioned reason of it being significantly more similar to VF5; and the fact that it will only set you back a couple of bucks (WELL WORTH IT). The cpu is a whore at low rising after a knockdown. Practice the timing of Aoi's reversals. Her low and mid reversals actually come in extremely handy against the cpu. This is because the AI is a creature of habit. After you score a knockdown, the cpu will (very often) go for a low rising. You have a few options here (1 of which is almost "Aoi specific").

You can low reversal the low rising attack into a combo:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (crumble),/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

From here you can either go for a ground throw, or if you're opponent tech rolls after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif; attempt to repeat the entire sequence (there is a very good chance that the AI may low rising again after the tech roll).

The other option on a low rising is to simply hop over it without sticking out an attack (practice the timing on this), and do 1 of her low throws (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif) before the AI recovers. Note: the AI never escapes low throws, unless they are used following crumble moves. So you're guaranteed the low throw in this particular situation.

9. Throwmasta

Here is a good strat vs. the AI using Aoi's Mid reversals. When you are knocked down by the cpu; do a low rising, and immediately follow with a mid reversal: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. The cpu often responds to your low rising with a mid. This is the perfect opportunity to reverse it! Also, certain mid reversals (mid kicks, elbows) with Aoi lead to a guaranteed (or near) ground throw for even more damage; so experiment with them for yourself.

Reversing mid rising moves:

The cpu will also mix in mid rising attacks after being knocked down. It seems to me, not as much as the lows, but nonetheless they will mid rising attack you often as well. If you think they will go for a mid rising, or better yet, if you are fast enough to see it coming, reverse it. This will trigger a reversal, not unlike Aoi's low rising reversal, which will stun her opponent; setting up for a follow up combo. The difference here is, that the stun is not as long on a mid rising/crescent kick reversal, as it is on the low rising variant; thus not allowing you enough time to perform /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

Here are the appropriate combo starters/combos after a successful mid rising reversal:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (hit throw)-a fairly easy cash out option that does decent damage. I'll often use this one in a panic situation, so that I can respond in time; if I'm caught off guard by the successful reversal attempt (which happens occasionally).

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. If you're good enough (timing is pretty difficult) you can do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif; not really worth the extra 2dmg. You can also go for the previously mentioned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif strats instead, following the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

10. Throwmasta

1 minor goof, Aoi's mid reversals that lead to guaranteed ground throws are her left mid and left high punch reversals, and left mid kick (non-crescent) reversal.

Btw, one cancel that the cpu does fall for constantly, is the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cancel into throw. You can use this on the cpu when it tech rolls. Very effective; especially when used in conjuncion with her multi throws and 270's for max dmg.

11. Zone_Aoi

Zone_Aoi Member

Thanks again, everyone. I haven't tried everything yet, but I can see my Aoi game improving slowly but surely. At the very least, it feels like I'm reading my opponent's slightly better than before and reacting accordingly (although I've still a LONG way to go obviously).

However, I'm still having trouble against specific characters. First and foremost are Sarah & Vanessa, and then Jacky...and Wolf on occasion. Anything I should keep in mind when facing against these characters (i.e. GAMEPLAY style)?

Also, I'm unsure as to what are good followups after successfully performing the Ying-Yang stance. The only one I know so far is db+K, and even then, I'm not sure if that's a good tool to use after landing a Ying-Yang parry.

Again, all help is welcome here. Thanks again!