1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa's sideturned game

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by MakiLeSushi, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Once again i create a thread coz i have a problem.
    In fact it s not a real problem but when my opponent is sideturned i throw or i try a side crumple. But i played some people who put me under pressure and don t give me the opportunity to turn back... I would like to know if i have to do something to turn back and i wanna learn how to put the same pressure on my opponent, if i have to use some special move to keep the pressure on.
    PS sorry for my english =) and thx 4 help =)

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Here's a special move to use when landing DS [K][+][G] CH (or DS [4][P][+][K] side recovery hit, usually after an evade) : DS [4][P].

Sure, there's always [3][K] for the sidecrumple, but at +9 DS [4][P] will beat everything except 11f and 10f jabs and the damage potential from DS [4][P] is rather impressive.

EDIT: also useful from lower disadvantages against characters who can abare with sidekick sabakis ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    EvenPit likes this.
  3. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Ty erdaug, i never think about using the 4P on SD it could be very efficient =)

4. Chefboy_OB

Chefboy_OB Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    PPPP in offensive is particularly effective oddly enough because the opponent is locked into blocking the full string until the fourth move, but it is special high, so if they try to 2p out of side-turned they'll eat the string ender.

steelbaz and MakiLeSushi like this.
  5. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    Speaking of 4P... I've been watching a lot of Kaibutsu videos and he uses it quite often. I'm just now learning of its wonders.

6. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    But the last P make u lose ur advantage and u can t continue ur pressing, doesn t it?

7. Chefboy_OB

Chefboy_OB Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    advantage is relative especially when you understand an opponents habits. It's far more important to make correct guesses than you lock your opponent down using advantage. There is a way out of every situation.

8. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Actually OS PPPP leaves you at advantage on block on sideturned.
    It's -3 on front but since it's a 25 damage attack it has +6 blockstun on side, so it leaves you at +3.
    Thought everyone knew that already :p .
    Personnaly I still prefer to get the guaranteed PPK after K+G CH due to the good damage and knockdown.

9. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I already use it after os k+g but i was talkin about to keep pressing on opponent while he is ST... in DS i found the solution and in OS i use some moves but nothing very efficient... I usually try to throw but agaist a Rodnutz, truewiseman or kingo, st throw is unefficient...

10. Chibitox

That was supposed to answer this question:
    Plus I never saw you use PPPP once in all the matches we played offline + online aka 300 matches ? :p

In OS against good Lazy TE Side throw escapers I would suggest:
    -66P+G
    -dash neutral throw
    -1P / 2K+G
    -Against YY (aka kingo :D ) 2KP(confirm CH)P or 4P + mixup . Also works if opponent attacks or 2P at -6 (aka "opponent got throw escaped" situations)
    -6P+K+G (+frames on block if you got enough advantage in ST, and beats YY/sabakies)

11. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I never use it as i said, the last p make u lose ur advantage that s the reason why i use OS kpp or 2kpp or st throw... why the os 66K+G is not a 12 frame move ='(

edit: 6p+k+g when opponent is ST gve you +frames on block? are u kidding me? lol

12. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
  13. Chibitox

There's something I'm missing here o_O
    Also I don't get the part where your are losing your advantage with +3 on block and opponent still ST ?

Note that you need to have enough advantage for slow moves to keep the opponent side turned and have the Side blockstun bonus. It's not automatic.

For example DS1K+G (23f) will not have the side + frames on hit cause it's so slow that it allows the opponent to realign before it's actually hitting. It would be too good otherwise ^^

I think the rule to know if the move is gonna hit side turned is

Startup of your move - advantage < or equal to 12f

ex:
    DS KK (+5 ST) followed by 6P+K+G (19f):
    19 - 5 = 14

14>12 so it won't have the side turned bonus

DS k+G (CH) (+9ST) followed by 6+P+K+G(19f):
    19 - 9= 10

10<12 so the move will have the sideturned bonus.

If we take the example of DS1K+G you would need +11 ST for it to have the bonus.

14. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Edited my linked post to include frame advantage needed and sorted the moves by said frame advantage needed.

Hopefully this way the "Anyway, the DS moves that become positive on block when sideturned are actually fast enough to be useful." portion of the post is more clear.

Chibitox: won't tenchi reverse OS [4][P]?

Anyway, yup, unfortunately [6][P][+][K][+][G] shoulder ram won't be +1 on block from most common throw escape situations that leave the opponent sideturned: as mentioned by Chibitox these are usually +6 and unfortuntely switch shoulder appears to require +7 :(

15. Chibitox

One good instance of using it is:
    OS K+G (CH), PK (guaranteed) then you are at +7.;)

or use PK and then do 2P+K (19f) instead:

On block=0
    On CH=6PK guaranteed iirc.

16. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    are you sure we are talkin about the same video game looool
    I don t understand when you say 19-5 or 19-9 wtf is that?

17. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Chibitox: Ah, i see, shoulder ram is good after sideturned p,k, gotcha.

Hmm, on the other hand i can't get anything to connect after OS [2][P][+][K] in the dojo :( It yields +12 on side CH but at the same it appears to force crouch, meaning i can't connect a side throw, p,k and at the same time elbow is 14f so that doesn't work either. Am i missing something?

Maki: Look at the post i linked. I did the calculations for us.

MakiLeSushi likes this.
  18. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    ty bro =)

19. Chibitox

I wrote 2KPP or 4P, meaning:
    2KPP
    or
    2KP4P

For 0S 2P+K (CH) ST:
    If opponent holds guard--> +12 + 3 frames to guard= +15 = 6PK will hit.
    If opponent attacks--> 6PK will counter hit
    If opponent crouches-->6PK can be confirmed iirc

Record it against yourself.
    Maybe it's possible to evade, not sure if you have to wait 3 frames before being able to escape when ST.You can probably sabaki it too.
    It's basically the same concept of the crouchable but not guardable P after most chars K+G (CH) except here you can't crouch since 6P is mid.

20. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Chibitox: OK and OK. Thanks for taking the time to explain :)