1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS Akira - Overpowered??

Discussion in 'General' started by Junsuina Chikara, Apr 19, 2013.

1. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I can still see it. You mentioned Vanessa, which is absolute nonsense. This bump was stupid, but i'm glad it happened.

lots of people saying but Akira doesn't have a full circular mid. We now know that his 9K acts as a safe full circular mid against Instant evade at certain frames. Yes, he's overpowered :D

2. og23

og23 Well-Known Member

It's VF man, no one's really overpowered in this game. Akira has really dumb things though, that much is obvious

3. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    But its because he has no ''full circulars'' they just gave it to him. His only "full circular" that combo's LOL Epic stuff. lts slow though 25f but it gets the job done.

4. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It's exactly because it's VF that i consider him overpowered. FS lacks balance.

Pai~Chun likes this.
  5. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

Well, if you're happy it revived the thread ;)
    Just happens, you read through the thread and you forget it's old.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. og23

og23 Well-Known Member

Lacks balance? I think that's pushing it. I think the game is balanced fine. Maybe not to the standard of old Virtua Fighter, but to say the game lack balance is silly. Akira is manageable. If he was as overpowered as you say he is Marly, then why isn't he played more? Sure, you usually see one or two per tournament, but shouldn't there be more of him? Hell, if you watch Japanese arcade videos, you see a lot more diversity there then just Akira all day

leftylizard likes this.
  7. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    So you think that if a character is really strong in VF all the Japanese players would jump to that character? I don't even know where to begin with that other than to say that it's completely wrong. Regardless of game it's far more usual in Japanese play to have a character and stick with it. The mentality can be a bit different here in the west, but neither says that much about a characters potential.

Akira actually is one of the most popular characters in FS (if not THE most) going by tournament entry stats, but that isn't an FS thing. Akira has always been popular, he's the poster boy for the game. Saying one or two per tournament just make me think you don't watch any tournaments.

FS Akira is basically as unbalanced as characters get in VF. Now i could go through the reasons again, but stuff has already been stated. @og23 I'll await your counter arguments. Just saying "but he isn't though", or "so why doesn't everyone use Akira?!?" Isn't going to convince me or anyone else otherwise. Share your knowledge of the game, i'll be happy enough to shoot your reasons down.

Combolammas likes this.
  8. og23

og23 Well-Known Member

Before I begin my argument, let me just say that you said FS Akira is not as good of character as Vanilla Lei Fei was. You said that in this very thread, so if FS Akira is as unbalanced as characters get in VF and then you mention that in a previous VF there is a character better than him overall, that's kind of contradictory, no? That's all i'm going to say to that particular point, this is an old thread, opinions change, you might not feel the same way, etc.

I'm not going to lie, you caught me on the tournament point. I don't watch many tournaments. That point I made about not seeing many Akiras was because I didn't see many, not in the tournaments I watched anyway. All I have to say on the matter is this, considering there massive endless legions of Akiras, how come the two best players in the world don't play him? How come the most recent beat tribe finals was Aoi vs Wolf? Not only that, but Aoi ended up winning. Not only that, but the two highest ranked players in the arcade currently play Brad and Lion, while the guy that plays the really overpowered character has been demoted from skygod a few times, both by the aforementioned two players. Also, how come the only Akira to consistently make skygod status is same guy? Shouldn't there be other members of the Akira army to crack skygod status? Remember when FS was in EVO2012? Wasn't that won by Shun?

Now, i'm not saying that Akira isn't good, he's great. In fact, I think he's the best character in the game, just like you do. However, when you say Akira is overpowered, you make him out to be this unbeatable god of a character with no weaknesses. That isn't true, he does have weaknesses, not very pronounced ones, but he has them. He doesn't have much range outside of three moves that are linear and slow except for one, and he doesn't have a very good circular outside that 9k at specific frames. You still have to be good with him, It's not like he's a crutch for bad players. So yeah, he's good, but you're not going to see people get fraudulent wins with him. So, for that reason I don't think he's overpowered.

9. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    The tier list to end all tier lists:

Super Dumb: Akira
    Dumb: Everyone else
    Kinda Dumb: Jeffry

If you disagree, that means you hate puppies.

Cozby, og23 and MadeManG74 like this.
  10. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

I hate puppies anyway... im more into bear cubs and wolf pups. But i still agree with the list, although taka could be super dumb

11. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I have to think that we are a bit 'spoiled' by VF balance. I mean, looking at VF compared to literally every other fighting game series, it's very good.

Having said that, I'm not an amazing player, but I feel like tiers matter much less in VF (even FS) than any other game I've played at tournaments or to any serious degree.

If not, I openly admit I'm playing at a level low enough where the tiers don't matter anyway.

MarlyJay likes this.
  12. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea how much concentration is needed to pull his shit out consistently!? The rest of you punks are just pressing Buttons! Marly, stop talking out of your ass!

13. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    The type of concentration it takes to play Akira is very different from other characters. While other characters generally have choices to cover several options, Akira has to take more specific guesses, which can be a pain in the ass. But granted, his reward for making correct guesses is tremendous.

As far as overall balance, by modern standards VF is as balanced as it gets. Every has the same basic fundamental tools. Those tools may not be as rewarding or overwhelmingly efficient but they can get the job done for sure.

That tier list is godlike. All the characters are dumb in some way. Ironically I was having a conversation about FS with a few people that play other games and that's EXACTLY the point I made

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    TrueGodFist and leftylizard like this.
  14. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Something being hard to do does not make a character less strong. Infact the difficult is irrelevant. They actually made Akira easier to play anyway. Even i can do his shit now. "But it's not easy to do and i have to concentrate" is another nothing argument. This game is easy to play. The difficulty lies in outguessing an opponent.

And talking about guesses, it's another reason why Akira is ridiculous. Why is he so safe?

And Akira has PLENTY of options that cover loads of choices. Every character has to guess. It's just that with Akira the guess is more heavily stacked in his favour and if you do outguess him, he's probably at -5.

15. kungfusmurf

Please Marly, by all means show me videos of you playing Akira. lastly how would you rate your Akira Skill level?

SDS_Overfiend1 likes this.
  16. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    My Akira? not great. Some of the Akiras I've sat down with and played for hours? Bloody Excellent.

Not that either thing matters. A person not being able to realise the potential of a character doesn't reflect on the character, just the player. I'm not saying Akira is a win switch. I'm saying FS is filled with stupidity and Akira is the culmination of it all.

17. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    You keep talking about him being to ''safe''. The reason AM&RD probably made him safe is because the amount of yomi he requires due to him being so linear= evade punishable. Can you imagine him being a unsafe character? Not only would his options be lesser but players would also have to worry about getting punished =more yomi.

18. kungfusmurf

You're absolutely right Marly & here's proof of that S tier B.S. that is Akira. Please guys & gals don't your Akiras be like the 1P of the video. My apologies again Marly you're completely right Akira is way over power.

19. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    A character can be less safe on block without making that character less fuzzy safe on evade. It's to do with total frames compared to the amount of blockstun, right?

Anyway, i don't think that much thought went into Akira. I disagree with him being Linear too. As has been shown now, his 9K acts as a safe, fully circular combo starter at certain frames (Nitaku), as the opponent gets failed evade if they evade instantly and the attack comes out too fast for evade dash cancel to let the opponent block.

He also has 2 good half circular mids, one for each direction. When Akira is at +7 his anti evade options are better than most of the cast.

20. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    What I really dont understand in FS Akira is why did they change his elbows from i14 and different frame disadvantage to i13 and i15 and same -5 disadv. You can just switch to the better elbow now when you have more advantage and be cheap as crap without even thinking. And he has all other kinds of stupid crap about him... but owerpowered? Ofc no, or we would be seeing him dominate with it at least somewhere which I dont see. He's more of a cheap character now, like i guess Lars in tekken, but not OP enough to be OP.