1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5FS character matchups

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by RisenGlory, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Yea man. jacky's delayable strings are so damn good and annoying. or some of the circular sweeps that is extremely fast like 46K+G.

2. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Eileen was incredibly powerful in VF5, and has now been weakened? Wow, wish I had found more players on that and put more time in with her. Most of the moves still seem there, and some new ones. 56G+K is still there, and fairly easy to combo off if hits... wish Pai had something like that, but then I like Pai's low throw and the actual character/design a bit more.

The more I read this forum, the more I see how Jacky is mentioned as really powerful now, which I have to admit, is something that seems to be the case on Live right now. This guy shreds Pai so fast, from what looks like real simple and quick launchers, plus he can just interrupt her sequences with his speed and momentum. Most of the high ranked guys I run into all use him over and over, so I guess that itself speaks volumes. I was surprised to see how fast Wolf was versus her as well, but you don't really see him much on there, and I think the guy I was playing has spent years seriously studying the game. Certainly Chun versus Gief on ST plays out a lot differently!

3. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Taka and Akira.

Taka vs Blaze is a hard fight. Yet it's one I still feel I am playing wrong. The biggest issue for myself is that for me to beat Taka I need to make 4-6 strong guesses a round minimum yet he needs maybe 3 to beat me. On a half wall stage...forget it. He has great ringout potential I have zero (though I suppose many folks share this issue), couple that with the inital problems and it just makes him a mountain of destruction.

Akira is strong because he has strong options for everything I could possibly do to defend and attack against him and they all lead to maybe a third of my bar. His move list is a finely honed toolkit of destruction. I feel like I work twice as hard for half the damage.

That being said. Blaze has solid damage combos, especially vs lightweights. But it requires much more commitment than what Akira would have to risk for more damage.

I have issues with Jean at the moment as well but I think that's largely due to my lack of knowledge on the character.

4. RisenGlory

RisenGlory Active Member

For lei fei, I would say wolf, Kage and Pai. Wolfs shoulder and throws limit my reversal options. Often you don't need to guess with the shoulder, it works against a lot of stuff. Kage plays a great range game which can make keeping him in Lei's mid range sweet spot tough. He also had great long range options which also make the match up difficult. Last, pai has a better safer mid range game than lei. HVe to be super selective with moves since pie clings to her advantage with a tenacity.

5. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

Anyone with a good mid range game gives blaze troubles, close range and far range blaze doesnt have much of a problem, i dont think he really has any bad matchups persay. I play a bit of Jean though as well and I can say he has a bit of troubles against Aoi and Vannessas DS. Single limb sabakis are really tough for jean because all of his best moves are single limb moves, but thats not to say he still cant deal with it

6. EvenPit

EvenPit Well-Known Member Content Manager Eileen

If there was one character that I'd rather not fight and I think personally is my worst matchup is Lei Fei. I think he has the best space management in the game and like Eileen he is a "flow" character, plus he has lots of good frame traps, sabaki's and such. Now in general I would have to say that Brad is Eileen's worst matchup in general/overall. The sheer amount of moves that brad can throw out that will launch Eileen is enough add truly Half-Life combos and you have a really tricky matchup on your hands. Sure she can out poke him however brad too has good space management, not nearly as good as Lei, Fei's or shuns but good enough.

Playing a mid range game vs Eileen is your best option and is what I think blows her arsenal up. Only really useful move she has to combat a really good mid-range game/player is 3K and 66K & P to an extent.

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I still say Akira is the worst matchup. Brad is bad, but Eileen can do damage on him too. Akira is just too heavy. Against Eileen his 64P+G throw sets up wall combos really easily and the damage from 46P means you pretty much have to forget about 9K. The risk/reward is stupid.

What tips it over the edge for me is he still gets all that 46P damage from the stupid guard break. As soon as you get into Eileens effective range, proper defence (fuzzy) becomes an 80 damage risk.

For mid range with Eileen, don't underestimate 6K. It doesn't give you much on hit or ch but for its speed it travels quite a distance.

PoisonKid13 and EvenPit like this.