1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 20th Anniversary Website - 1993-2013

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Nov 28, 2013.

By akai on Nov 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    To commemorate the 20 years of Virtua Fighter, Sega has started a new website - http://vf20th.sega.jp/ From the first blog post of the site (rough translation) - "20 years have passed since the release of Virtua Fighter. Thank you very much to our fans." This special site will be sequentially updated to celebrate this milestone, looking back at every step of the path to present day. From AM2's website and Famitsu's article, the anniversary site will subsequently give a glimpse to the development of the games in the series along with tournament history, something for both new and old fans. The 20th anniversary site starts off with the opening movie from the original Virtua Fighter.

slide.jpg
    Blog Entry #1 (November 29, 2013) - 20th Anniversary Site opens

Blog Entry #2 (December 3, 2013) - Nico Nico show - Denjin☆Gacha! to have special 20th Anniversary VF episode
    On December 6, 2013, 8 PM JST - the weekly Japanese show "Denjin☆Gacha!" (電人☆ゲッチャ!), in addition to its regular broadcast, will devote portion of their Friday's episode to the 20th Anniversary of Virtua Fighter. This appears to be a show that have a focus on video game entertainment.

The regular cast of the show:
    • Meijin Takahashi (高橋 名人)
    • Natsuki Katou (加藤 夏希)
    • Daisuke Sakaguchi (阪口 大助)
    • Satomi Akesaka (明坂 聡美)
    • Chiyomaru Shikura (志倉 千代丸)
    Guests on the December 6 show:
    • Shinjuku Jacky (新宿ジャッキー) - "Tetsujin" Jacky player and part of the VF5 production staff
    • Bunbunmaru (ブンブン丸) - "Tetsujin" Wolf player
    • Chibita (ちび太) - "Virtua God" Lion player
    • Sexy Saitou (セクシー齋藤) - long time MC for Sega of Japan's events
    • Megumi Ogata (緒方恵美) - is a voice actress for many anime and video game characters. Well known for voicing Sailor Uranus (Sailor Moon), Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho), and Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Not sure if she is on the show for Virtua Fighter or for other parts of the show.
    Blog Entry #3 (December 6, 2013) - 20th VF Anniversary Festival
    On December 14th, 2013 -the event will be held at the Tokyo Joypolis Park and will also be streamed on Nico Nico. Will be hosted by Sexy Saitou and also Asapon. In addition to some of the guests that appeared in the Denjin☆Gacha! episode, additional appearances mentioned in the blog include:
    • Daichi Katagiri (片桐大智) - Virtua Fighter game director
    • Ikekuburo Sarah (池袋サラ)
    • Kyasao (キャサ夫)
    • Itabashi Zangief (新宿ジャッキー)
    • Asami Shimoda (下田 麻美) - aka Asapon
    • Ryou。@Ojogiri dā (遼。@オジョギリ・ダー)
    It mentions a Kumite with the voice actress Asapon. In the Nico Nico link, additional people are mentioned. In the December 6 episode of Denjin☆Gacha! it was stated that Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada will also be present in the event.
    Blog Entry #4 (December 10, 2013) - Virtua Fighter in Sega Hādo Girls (Sega Hard Girls or Sega Hardware Girls)
    Sega Hādo Girls is a serialized manga with various goddesses representing the different Sega systems of years past. In the December 10th, volume 35 issue of Dengeki Bunko Magazine, the manga features Virtua Fighter.​

As always, we will update this post with information as we get them.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Genesis, SUGATA, EvenPit and 12 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Nov 28, 2013.

1. def
      def
      I can't wait to hear what news there will be, this is what i am hoping:
      -Virtua Fighter 6 for next-gen systems.
      -Virtua Fighter for Vita/3DS
      -Digital ports of older games such as VF 1,3, and 4.
      -Official DOA Vs. VF.

Well i'm glad Sega is doing something in honor of the series 20th, i don't believe they did anything for their 15th at least here in the US.
    2. UroboroSx
      UroboroSx
      -Some updates for Final Showdown.
      Coroo likes this.
    3. Pai~Chun
      Pai~Chun
      So excited! I try to be optimistic about what Sega will be doing over the next few years, but it's not easy when you don't hear anything from them for ages. Will be scrutinising this site for further announcements and developments. I'm sure they will put on a good show for this over there, and hopefully we'll see plenty of famous players and staff celebrating the series in the manner it deserves.
    4. def
      def
      Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
      UroboroSx likes this.
    5. SoulKatana
      SoulKatana
      I WANT a RETAIL VF Collection with VF4FT & VF5R!!
      VF6 also welcome!!
    6. hseiken1
      hseiken1
      Maybe Sega Cup 2nd will be announced soon. It was announced around this time last year.
      BLACKSTAR likes this.
    7. El_Twelve
      El_Twelve
      If all we get is another Special Bingo event for arcades, I'll scream.
    8. WiZzYx
      WiZzYx
      F2P version of Final Showdown.
      Coroo likes this.
    9. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      For start, I want that VF20th Anniversary in wallpaper size!
      VFhayato, UroboroSx and Coroo like this.
    10. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      FS is already F2P. In fact, we are stealing SEGA.
    11. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      They should release VF4FT, VF3, and Fighter's Megamix FOR THE WEST in the next couple of months. Also, make Final Showdown free-to-play when VF6 comes out in the arcades.
      Coroo likes this.
    12. WiZzYx
      WiZzYx
      DoA 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters is a F2P. Rotating available characters to test, and 4 totally free. In fact, my local DoA scene (Argentina), is slowly growing up thanks to this model. FS is just... a very cheap game.
      Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    13. FakeSypha
      FakeSypha
      Time to wait and see what happens next. Hopefully they announce VF6 :)
      Happy anniversary VF <3
      DigitlSamurai likes this.
    14. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz
      I know the hate will come, but my guess is they will do nothing. Sorry I'm no longer optimistic when it comes to Sega. I put a $100 bucks December 26th will come and no announcement will be made. Six to eight months later they will announce that the announcement has been delayed with no further explanation or ETA for when more information will come. However, if an announcement is made it will only benefit Japan.

The proof is in the pudding....

Announced July 9th 2012 for Early 2013

After much backlash from the fans about Sega's silence they finally confirm that the game has been delayed with no further information although it has been stated that localization has been completed. *sorry can't find the source article at the moment*

Delay confirmation March 25th 2013
      http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/41...line-2-delayed-in-north-america-sega-confirms

Sega says screw the Americans. Let's just work on getting it out to more Asian countries for 2014. Screw the Americans who love and support us, who has been spending crazy dollars for the import servers even though we just ban them for no reason. Yeah we did say anyone from anywhere could play, but we meant anyone except the Americans.

Gaijin go home you can't play here!
      http://segahates.us/

Announced for Asia 2014
      http://www.gameskinny.com/a5s9j/pha...estern-audience-in-favor-of-2014-asia-release

Sega's biggest problem is they always keep their fans in the dark way longer than they should. Their other biggest problem is they never give fans what they want. Ask for a new Daytona you get Sonic with wheels. Ask for a new Streets of Rage beat'em up get Sonic and Knuckles co-op. Ask for a JRPG you get Sonic with RPG elements. Ask for a great puzzler like Chu Chu Rocket you get Sonic & Tails puzzler. Ask for Shenmue 3.... GET CRICKETS! Although FINALLY I do think a Shenmue 3 may be coming soon since Yu Suzuki will be doing an hour long segment on it at GDC 2014 and Shenmue 3 was recently trademarked by Sega.

http://www.gdconf.com/news/yu_suzuki_revisits_shenmue_in_.html

Anyway I'm done for now!
    15. Coroo
      Coroo
      i remember somewhere that the company bringing it to different parts of asia were working on enligsh servers. i have the link somewhere give me abit.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/08/phantasy-star-online-2-sea-english-server-launching-early-2014/
      and
      http://news.mmosite.com/content/2013-06-03/phantasy_star_online_2_sea_publisher_announced.shtml
    16. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz

While it sounds good it still sounds like an empty promise to me. North America has been waiting well over 1 year for any kind of news from Sega. You would think that IF this company knew the NA servers would be going online in 2014 then Sega would also know this too. If this is a known fact within Sega then why haven't they taken the time out to relay this message to the franchise fans? If you head over to blogs.sega.com and check the PSO2 forums there is nothing rolling in there but tumble weed. The few that's hanging on is still making noise and asking for some kind of an update, but Sega isn't responding at all. One can only assume because they just don't care. They have botched this release so bad that most die hard fans have simply just let it all go and moved on to other MMO's.

Again Sega's biggest problem is they keep their fans in the dark way longer than they should. IMO it's so easy to please fans by doing the dumbest of repetitive shit. For example, the game is delayed but to hold everyone's interest and to keep their faith that Sega will deliver why not release a new trailer. The trailer can be something as simple as taking the JP trailer and doing an English voice over. Sure most people will see it and be like I already saw this, but the fact that it's an english trailer will only make a fan go "OMG OMG OMG OMG! YES YES YES YES!".

Just the fact that you are watching the trailer with an english dub voice over only renews your faith in Sega and their promise to deliver the franchise. Once your faith has been restored all anger and frustration related to the wait is thrown out the door. Also that same renewed faith will only help Sega in the long run gain more subscribers. Fans will be talking so much and so positively that they will be selling the game for Sega before it even comes out. How many of us have bought a game simply because of that one friend who just wouldn't stop talking about it like it was the greatest thing ever since VF? I can count like 20 friends who convinced me to buy a game I knew nothing about or would normally pass up.

This is the same route they could have taken with FS instead of keeping quiet for so long. Sega always keep so quiet that people often lose interest so badly that even when the game comes out they don't care anymore. While we gain a decent amount of new players with FS we also lost a lot of people who were around during vanilla.

The only exception to this is if you are within Japan. They speak so loudly to the Japanese market that's it's heard all the way over here and around the world. We are in 2013 man and when you are developing a major franchise like VF or PSO devs need to wake up and start speaking on a global scale. The time of simultaneous worldwide releases should be now in this generation.

When it comes to something you are passionate about like gaming. No news is bad news in my opinion especially if you the company puts it out there as a promise. I'd rather a company tell me "hey man we are sorry, but for reasons we can't disclose we are not going to release Reggae Fighter 16: Bloodcaat Remix in North America." than to always plead the fifth with bullshit like "no comment... we haven't decided yet." etc.

At least I know where I stand as a gamer and more importantly as a customer. I can then decide where I want to devote my time. Do I stick with Reggae Fighter 15 and be happy with that or do I move on to another game or genre until the next one is released that I think will be more worth my time?
      Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
      nou and Sudden_Death like this.
    17. Rodnutz
      Rodnutz
      Mods apologies! I'll stop derailing this thread! Sorry but Sega just pissing me off lol :p

I've been a fan since 1986 and while they owe me nothing I can't help but hate the Sega of today compared with the Sega of the past. :mad:
      Jay David likes this.
    18. akai
      akai
      No worries, we are used to it :p If it goes further off-topic (and that it is still civil) we can just move posts to make a separate thread for people to vent about Sega's one-sided love for Sonic and not any of its other franchises :D
      Rodnutz likes this.
    19. H_Magnus
      H_Magnus
      VF Collection for STEAM.

DO IT SEGA!!